Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Blow Outs A Week After Stomach Bug-WWYD?
Miss Lindsey 10:19 AM 12-13-2011
Ok. 6 month old dcb had a stomach bug a week ago. Threw up a few times and then had major liquid diarrhea all day. They kept him home Wednesday thursday and friday. Brought him back yesterday and he had 2 blow outs...slightly formed, but definitely smelled off, and soaked his clothing both times. Today, he had a blow out on the way here, and then again 2 hours later, soaking the extra change of clothes. I called mom and asked her to pick him up. She asked about tomorrow and I told her he needed to be diarrhea free for 24 hours. She thinks this is teething, and says the dr says.this is no longer contagious, just trying to regulate his bowels again. I am not sure what to do. He is eating normally, sleeping normally, and acting fine. But the blowouts are nasty smelling and off color for him. Mom and dad are concerned this may continue on for another week or so, and are a bit annoyed if he can't return. I just don't know what to do.

What are your thoughts?
Breezy 10:55 AM 12-13-2011
I have to agree with the dr about his bowels getting back to normal. But, the yuck factor of having to take the time to clean him up would probably make me want to send him home. You could try feeding him plain yogurt (or activia) for the good probiotics. That could speed up his tummy getting back to normal.
Mandy_Jane 11:10 AM 12-13-2011
My thoughts are: Runny poop everywhere = Health hazard for the daycare. Do you have a sickness policy in your handbook or contract? I have in mine that if there is more than one abnormally loose stool, the child can not attend daycare. And they have to stay out until 24 hours after it has cleared up. No parent should expect you to have to deal with that mess every day. Tell them you can not take the risk that it will leak out on to your floor or toys, because that is a risk to the other children in your care.
Breezy 11:18 AM 12-13-2011
Not only that ^^^ but as a mom myself if my child was sick, I wouldnt want ro be anywhere but on the couch cuddling him. I dont care what my work said- I would be there in a heart beat.
mismatchedsocks 11:23 AM 12-13-2011
Id be more worried about his explosive poop clean up. Where would this child sit, lay, etc not to contaminate? If he was in a exersaucer, bouncer, swing, high chair, floor time, etc, then you will have more poop to clean up.

Ask mom what she suggest he sits on or lays on all day, and explain as much as you hate cleaning up poop, if he is regulating it, needs to be safe for all others involved.
Miss Lindsey 11:24 AM 12-13-2011
MaryJane-that's what my handbook says...but I think because the parents are concluding it's due to teething, it feels like I am calling them liars by blaming it on the stomach bug. I told her to call the pediatrician back and ask him about it again. It leaked onto his pack n play sheets as well, so I am cleaning all that up too. I am 31 weeks pregnant and have 3 more of my own kids to think about as well. I don't want to be dealing with a stomach bug over christmas either! It's possible it's just teething and no longer contagious, but I have no way of knowing really. But if it keeps happening...do I really keep asking them to pick him up?
squareone 11:35 AM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Miss Lindsey:
MaryJane-that's what my handbook says...but I think because the parents are concluding it's due to teething, it feels like I am calling them liars by blaming it on the stomach bug. I told her to call the pediatrician back and ask him about it again. It leaked onto his pack n play sheets as well, so I am cleaning all that up too. I am 31 weeks pregnant and have 3 more of my own kids to think about as well. I don't want to be dealing with a stomach bug over christmas either! It's possible it's just teething and no longer contagious, but I have no way of knowing really. But if it keeps happening...do I really keep asking them to pick him up?
My illness policy says they go home after 1 vomit or 2 diarrheas - regardless of the reason. Whether it be teething or stomach bug, they go home. It's a health hazard. It's unfair to you, the other kids, and the "teething" child.

Out of curiosity, has she brought you a doctor's note or just said that the doctor said that?
Miss Lindsey 11:54 AM 12-13-2011
No doctor's note, just what she says. I have good parents, so I am pretty sure she's not just saying that so she can leave him with me. I just feel like I am playing with fire, not knowing for sure what the cause is. I would gladly blame it on teething if he hadn't just been sick a week ago. But he had a bug last week and his diapers have only gotten fewer in number, but not in consistency.
KEG123 12:05 PM 12-13-2011
Can they get you some plastic pants to put over the diaper?
Lucy 12:13 PM 12-13-2011
If she harps on the thing about the dr saying he's not contagious, just say that you can't take a chance he'll have a liquid blowout and one of the other kids comes in contact with the mess. Even if he's NOT sick, another kid can still get a number of things just from coming in contact with poop.

As far as what to feed him, I say mashed up bananas.
Country Kids 12:33 PM 12-13-2011
When it comes right down to it, let her know it is a STATE requirement that children cannot be in childcare that have diarehha. Your CCR&R should have something like a handout that you can give to the parent.
Crystal 12:50 PM 12-13-2011
It would not matter if it is not contagious. It is DANGEROUS for the 6 month old. He could QUICKLY become dehydrated. The parent needs to provide one-to-one care until he is having normal BM's.
Meeko 01:06 PM 12-13-2011
Our state regs say that bowel movements must be containable. If they are blowing out...they must be at home whether contagious or not.
Meyou 01:07 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
It would not matter if it is not contagious. It is DANGEROUS for the 6 month old. He could QUICKLY become dehydrated. The parent needs to provide one-to-one care until he is having normal BM's.
I agree. My first thought was dehydration.
Meeko 01:10 PM 12-13-2011
Talking of diarrhea..........my hubby has had a nasty tummy upset. Nothing seemed to work...not Immodium, pepto etc. He was ready to head off to the docs when a friend told him to drink pomegranate juice.

He drank a 12 ounce bottle.

Done.

Over.

Feeling great.

Like a miracle! It's going to be our family remedy from now on!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but that thought popped into my head. Try it!
krissy_mo 06:32 PM 12-13-2011
my daughter would do this, too. If she was exposed to several mosquito bites or if she was sick recently....(she's allergic to mosquitos) or if something affected her system negatively....

Then she would go through a "I'm-never-going-to-have-regular-poop-again" session that lasted a good week or two. Usually, we would have to take her off everything (even formula) and put her on pedialyte only (per docs request) no food or nothing.... for a day. Then slowly introduce back rice, toast, applesauce, bananas... and finally add some milk on the third or fourth day.

This would FINALLY "reset" her system. Since I was home with her, of course, this wasn't an issue, except extra cleaning for sanitary reasons.... but I'm sure that if my babysitter couldn't help me out some in these areas, then I would have lost my job for sure (if I had worked outside the home)....

anyway, I also have policies about illness and such, but I do take some stuff like this into consideration because, of course, if the parents end up losing their job over it... then of course, I'm gonna lose mine.
C'est la vie. 09:15 PM 12-13-2011
My little guy has a sensitive tummy and always has. I frequently have to put him on a bland diet, with lots of rice, cheese and banana. No citrus, nothing saucy. It regulates him pretty quickly.

Some kids do have worse poops especially until around age 3 for whatever reason. If my son were sent home every time he had a few day long bout with bad smelling and fast poops, man I'd never be in daycare. He'd go through a week long stint every couple of months! He is otherwise fine, though I have to be sure to keep LOTS of diaper cream when this happens becuase he often gets a yeasty rash with it.
wdmmom 08:25 AM 12-14-2011
It's more than likely Rotovirus. You might want to do a google search on it. Rotovirus is something that kids will have diarrhea for an extended period of time. Rotovirus has a very distinct smell. Check into that.
Daycaremomof2 01:00 PM 12-27-2011
I had the same thing happen to me. In fact, the DCB got my infant sick, and I had blow outs from 2 infants for a 3 week period! After I had enough, I put them on the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast), and gave her extra probiotics in her yogurt. It really helped a lot, but my poor little one is still fighting the severe diaper rash I empathize- After going through at least 2 outfits and 1 bath per day per infant, it is a pain. I really like this child and their family, so I put up with it- Being a former working mother myself, I know that it is pretty difficult to stay home for 2 weeks straight! Nasty stomach bugs going around this year!
Tags:stomach bug, wwyd
Reply Up