Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Biting From A Just Now 1 Year Old
Unregistered 09:19 AM 06-13-2012
I'm registered, but choosing to post unregistered. I've searched and read past threads on biting. However, most of them seem to be in the 16 mo and up crowd. My biter has just turned one. (he just started here less than a month ago). He has one target, a 14 mo old. She does nothing to provoke him. He just seems to do it for no reason. I noticed at pick up, he would bite his Mom on the shoulder on several occassions. This was before he ever bit here.

I told Mom about the first bit. Told her I suspected it the week before, but did not catch him in the act. He has tried to bit me on the stomach, when I was sitting on the couch watching them play, he just toddled up and leaned in. I thought for a hug, it was to bite me! They seem willing to work on it. She said he does it at home too, mainly Dad. She said she would bite him back if she needed to. I told her, how she stopped it was up to her. However, it had to stop soon. I won't have a bitter. (She knows when I interviewed for the spot, I had several to choose from).

Any tips for dealing with a just now 1 year old on this? He is too young to reason with. Yes I can put him in a pack n play, but just looking for any other tips.
SilverSabre25 10:06 AM 06-13-2012
My just turned 1 yo son is a biter, too and has been for a few weeks. I'm the primary target but he has started lashing out at other people, too--including my dcbaby, his cousin, his sister, and a stranger baby cuddling with her own mama (talk about mortifying!).

I have no advice, only commiseration.
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 06-13-2012
Here is some great info about biting: http://ceep.crc.uiuc.edu/poptopics/biting.html
spud912 01:27 PM 06-13-2012
The best thing I have found is to separate the child from the others and keep him by your side throughout the day so he could be closely monitored. If you have something you need to do (like run to the restroom), I would put him in his pack n play. When you see him coming at someone say no biting and physically stop him from approaching.

As far as punishment for that age group? I would do all the normal "discipline" for children aged 12 months to 2 or 3 (redirect, separate if necessary, ignore the crying/whining).

Good luck!
cheerfuldom 02:09 PM 06-13-2012
Make his own area to play. Shadow him at all times or separate him if you cant be right next to him. If you cannot trust his behavior after a few weeks or arent willing to deal with a biter, you are well within your rights to term. you dont want to lose other families over this one kids behavior.
Springdaze 05:50 PM 06-13-2012
At that age you really need to make sure the parents DONT bite him back and dont pretend to "Eat" him. I have had to watch with my own kids when they were little not to, you know "ammnammmnamm" on their cure little bellies or chubby legs because they WILL do it back and they dont understand how not to do it hard. I would watch them closely and remove them to another area if they get too close to another child.

Oh, and dont react when they do sink their tooth into you. From my experience, kids love the OW!
Lilbutterflie 08:29 AM 06-14-2012
I have one (now 18 months) that bit me a couple of times, exactly like you said... on the shoulder or tummy out of impulse. In my experience, it was during teething. I gave him lots of other things to teeth on and bite throughout the day and it stopped. He is obsessed with white burp cloths, he now calls them "Bee", and that seemed to be his favorite thing to hold and bite during the day. Sometimes he even carries it around in his mouth. I only give it to him when I notice he is badly teething or has started to bite.
Unregistered 09:03 AM 06-14-2012
OP here. Thank you for all the replies.
Tags:biting
Reply Up