Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Black Eye
MissAnn 04:19 PM 06-06-2013
What can cause a black eye in a kid when nothing obvious happened to cause it. She didn't come in with it this morning because I took pictures of her today and there is no black eye. It starts from the side if her nose and goes under her eye. It's not big or dark. I thought it was a shadow until the grandma pointed it out and we looked closer. Feeling a little frantic. I talked to the mom and she does not sound like she's blaming me...in fact she was afraid I thought she did it. I told her I did not think that. She said she didn't think that about me either. Still.......
Cat Herder 04:21 PM 06-06-2013
Sinus infection.

Happens to me often this time of year. Usually, one eye, purplish grey and swollen.

A few days of sinus meds and it goes away.
MamaBearCanada 04:23 PM 06-06-2013
Bug bites can do at. My DD got one by her eye from a blackfly and the newt day her eye was swollen like she'd been punched! The doctor saw it (we were there for something unrelated) and she's fine.
Leanna 04:24 PM 06-06-2013
When my DD was four she had a black eye with no obvious cause...it turns out she had a cyst in her eye.
blandino 04:26 PM 06-06-2013
If it is a young child, you can have an 'allergic shiner'. Also, the child may have hit the bridge of their nose...

I had a black eye incident last summer, where baby didn't leave with 2 black eyes - but mysteriously had them 18 hours later at the Dr. Mom did blame us - so before I thought it happened in the care of her parents - I tried to look up other ways you can get a black eye.
MissAnn 04:34 PM 06-06-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
If it is a young child, you can have an 'allergic shiner'. Also, the child may have hit the bridge of their nose...

I had a black eye incident last summer, where baby didn't leave with 2 black eyes - but mysteriously had them 18 hours later at the Dr. Mom did blame us - so before I thought it happened in the care of her parents - I tried to look up other ways you can get a black eye.
She is 4. Mom said she woke up screaming last night and said her eye was burning. Dad said it was her right eye. It's her left eye that is blue and purple. She is also very light skinned

Everyone! Thanks for your replies and I'm glad they are not as panicky as I feel. I want to calm down!
e.j. 06:41 PM 06-07-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
Bug bites can do at. My DD got one by her eye from a blackfly and the newt day her eye was swollen like she'd been punched! The doctor saw it (we were there for something unrelated) and she's fine.
I was going to say the same thing. My kids used to react to mosquito bites and I have pictures of both of them looking like they have shiners. They looked like someone punched them in the face - eye purple/red and very swollen.
CrackerJacks 11:37 PM 06-07-2013
Sinus infection possibly.
Willow 04:20 AM 06-08-2013
I'd vote dreamer injury if she woke up out of nowhere in pain like that last night.

I haven't been able to sleep anywhere near my daughter for many years. Even as a toddler she'd flail around like there was no tomorrow. She'd end up with bruises from hitting the wall, her head and foodboards, mashing over hard stuffed animal noses and even bonking herself with her own arms and legs on occasion.

She dreams a lot, and vividly, so she gets into most of them pretty intensely. Her doc said it's pretty common to start in that 3-5 age range because that's when imagination skyrockets.

Kiddo could have definitely done it to herself. Even if in sleep she just rubbed her eye too hard, had a piece of something in it while she did or she ended up getting a nail in there....all that could explain pain, burning and then a developing bruise.
MissAnn 05:20 AM 06-08-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
I'd vote dreamer injury if she woke up out of nowhere in pain like that last night.

I haven't been able to sleep anywhere near my daughter for many years. Even as a toddler she'd flail around like there was no tomorrow. She'd end up with bruises from hitting the wall, her head and foodboards, mashing over hard stuffed animal noses and even bonking herself with her own arms and legs on occasion.

She dreams a lot, and vividly, so she gets into most of them pretty intensely. Her doc said it's pretty common to start in that 3-5 age range because that's when imagination skyrockets.

Kiddo could have definitely done it to herself. Even if in sleep she just rubbed her eye too hard, had a piece of something in it while she did or she ended up getting a nail in there....all that could explain pain, burning and then a developing bruise.
Could she develop a delayed bruise? No bruise in the morning but a bruise appeared later. I'm just glad the mom told me she trusted me. She asked her daughter and according to mom....the daughter doesn't know what happened. Things like this can really scare a provider! I've been down accusation route and never want to go there again! Thanks everyone!
Reply Up