Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teething fevers
TheGoodLife 07:54 PM 07-21-2013
So a parent isn't bringing her DCB 4 months in tomorrow- has a fever of 100.8 tonight. Dad is home, so she says she'll keep him home. Yeah, my policy is home 24 hours after a fever, unmediated. So I wonder if they were both working, would she be trying to bring him?!
Anyway, 2 of my 3 are babies. I'm anticipating the "teething" assumption but I do not want to budge with my policy. How have some of you dealt with families where a child runs a higher fever often? If its a regular occurance, would you allow a drs note? I've only allowed it once for a DCM who really thought it was teething, but baby didn't get a tooth for almost 8 months I know parents can't stay home ALL the time, and I see a lot of parents who say their cold gets a high fever with every tooth, but I don't want to let in suck kids b/c parents try to diagnose teething symptoms.
Familycare71 08:20 PM 07-21-2013
My policy is: no care with a fever. I dont care why they have the fever... Shots, teeth, oh my gosh nights in a hot tub . The bottom line is if they have a fever they don't feel well- if they don't feel well they should be home. A dr cannot tell you 100% the child is teething due to a fever without blood work etc... So that isn't an option for me.
I am the same with diareah and vomiting- I don't care why-
Rashes are about the only thing I accept a dr note for-
I would text/email ... Whatever... Mom and say : give me a heads up tomorrow on how she is doing. Remember fever free w o meds for 24 hours before return!
blandino 08:29 PM 07-21-2013
I have a whole teething section in my contract after dealing with parents who refuse to use any sort of pain relief on their children.

Teething
While a child is teething you can expect fussiness, irritability, lack of appetite, diarrhea, and a low grade fever (under 100). Regardless of whether a fever is from teething, children must stay home if they have are running a temperature of 100 degrees or higher or having diarrhea.

I have had a parent try and blame a 104, yes a 104 degree fever, on teething.
Familycare71 08:33 PM 07-21-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I have a whole teething section in my contract after dealing with parents who refuse to use any sort of pain relief on their children.

Teething
While a child is teething you can expect fussiness, irritability, lack of appetite, diarrhea, and a low grade fever (under 100). Regardless of whether a fever is from teething, children must stay home if they have are running a temperature of 100 degrees or higher or having diarrhea.

Me too!!! And I like the idea of addressing it directly . I swear some day my policy's will be the size of a phone book! Lol
TheGoodLife 08:35 PM 07-21-2013
Originally Posted by Christie71:
My policy is: no care with a fever. I dont care why they have the fever... Shots, teeth, oh my gosh nights in a hot tub . The bottom line is if they have a fever they don't feel well- if they don't feel well they should be home. A dr cannot tell you 100% the child is teething due to a fever without blood work etc... So that isn't an option for me.
I am the same with diareah and vomiting- I don't care why-
Rashes are about the only thing I accept a dr note for-
I would text/email ... Whatever... Mom and say : give me a heads up tomorrow on how she is doing. Remember fever free w o meds for 24 hours before return!
I'm waiting to remind them of the policy until tomorrow morning/afternoon sometime. That way if they mention a fever at all Monday, I will have that to back-up my policy of fever-free (unmedicated) for 24 hours for Tuesday. Otherwise, they might not tell me if he had a fever sometime Monday so they can bring him on Tuesday. I wish you could just trust parents to be honest, but I don't want to risk it. Mom already mentioned that she was keeping him home tomorrow so that she didn't have to "load him up and everything if he can stay comfy at home..." Yes, that's great, but I'd expect him to stay home even if Dad was scheduled at work- it's in my policy!
TheGoodLife 08:37 PM 07-21-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:

Teething

I really like that- I think I'll add that to my Wellness Policy section!!! Thanks
Familycare71 05:34 AM 07-22-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
I'm waiting to remind them of the policy until tomorrow morning/afternoon sometime. That way if they mention a fever at all Monday, I will have that to back-up my policy of fever-free (unmedicated) for 24 hours for Tuesday. Otherwise, they might not tell me if he had a fever sometime Monday so they can bring him on Tuesday. I wish you could just trust parents to be honest, but I don't want to risk it. Mom already mentioned that she was keeping him home tomorrow so that she didn't have to "load him up and everything if he can stay comfy at home..." Yes, that's great, but I'd expect him to stay home even if Dad was scheduled at work- it's in my policy!
Sounds smart! They sometimes really don't get it!!! And generally they are the same parents that would question you about another child's cold symptoms...
Nebula 06:33 AM 07-22-2013
http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/...are-widespread

Some good evidence out there that teething does not cause fever or diarrhea, let alone 104!
Tags:infectious teething
Reply Up