Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>5 y/o chatterbox
Unregistered 07:07 AM 05-27-2014
Okay.... I have grown accustomed to my small group (4 ages 2-4) and my own 15 month old being here during the day.... today a 5 y/o DCB started (he missed the cutoff for kinder so is starting this fall)... anyways.... he is only child.... and talks CONSTANTLY.... doesn't seem interested in almost EVERY activity... he does play independently but he talks non stop..... anyone else have this child? I am not sure how to lead group activities... or enjoy the semi quiet of normal free play when I am being drilled with scenarios and hammered with questions lol. I mean it could be worse but I fear I will burn out fast. Any suggestions?
craftymissbeth 10:53 AM 05-27-2014
My 5 yo cousin is like this. He was diagnosed with Asperger's last summer, though. He talks non-stop in a very 'I'm unaware of the people around me and whether or not they care'... more so than a typical child that age.

He's super, super, super intelligent. His chosen obsession is all things sports. And he loves to tell everyone all about all of those facts he knows. He has his own fantasy baseball team at the moment.

I don't have much advice except that with my cousin, it is helpful to not beat around the bush too much with what you expect. If we expect him to hush and play alone, we tell him "I don't want to hear talking anymore. It bothers me. Go play."
therov 11:08 AM 05-27-2014
It could be an energetic little fellow, or first-week jitters as he acclimates to your daycare environment. It could also be undiagnosed ADD/ADHD, which can manifest with excessive talking, inability to focus on 'quieter' tasks (reading/letters, writing/drawing, board games), and inability to sit still for activities other than his/her favorite things. They also need to let off a lot of steam through physical activity.

However, with a new client, it's much too early to know for sure. Set rules in place to help moderate the chatter (play music at times, put 10-minute 'thinking time' or 'listening time' in place when you're doing academic or reading activities), and talk with the parents about what they see at home and what previous providers/teachers have said. If it persists, find a way to suggest that this level of chattiness/energy is much more than you've experienced with other five-year-olds and ask if the family has raised this issue with their pediatrician.

Good luck.
DaisyMamma 12:36 PM 05-27-2014
I have one. I tell her to go play.

I'm not mean, I don't interrupt her or snap at her but I do tell her to "go play quietly." We do a lot of school drop off and pickups and I always tell the kids that car time is quiet time
Unregistered 03:48 PM 05-27-2014
Thank you! I feel bad but he is the first kiddo here (about 2 hours prior to other scheduled kiddos just because I am spoiled with 9 and 10 am drop offs) and it is literally NON stop. The worst part was most times it was unclear what he was actually saying because it was more of a mumble talk BUT he expected me to converse with him constantly. He did not enjoy my own child who was at grandmas earlier..... and said "I can't take this crying anymore"... it wasn't crying it was the typical 15 month old tantrum over nonsense... annoying... yes.... typical ... yes.... He also has a strange giggle after everything he says... everything.... I know this is sounding harsh but it was a little bit much by 11 am lol
lflick 03:51 PM 05-27-2014
I have this problem with my own kiddos

In all truth, I find that school agers give me the most gruff. They tend to complain A LOT.... and don't seem to have the imagination needed to play... blame it on the electronic age if you must. I don't have much advice because when I have SA kiddos I struggle in the same way. Summers seem VERY long. I once thought they would be a splendid addition... partially because I was hoping my own kids could have playmates but it usually turns into a high stress exhausting day.
DaisyMamma 03:33 AM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you! I feel bad but he is the first kiddo here (about 2 hours prior to other scheduled kiddos just because I am spoiled with 9 and 10 am drop offs) and it is literally NON stop. The worst part was most times it was unclear what he was actually saying because it was more of a mumble talk BUT he expected me to converse with him constantly. He did not enjoy my own child who was at grandmas earlier..... and said "I can't take this crying anymore"... it wasn't crying it was the typical 15 month old tantrum over nonsense... annoying... yes.... typical ... yes.... He also has a strange giggle after everything he says... everything.... I know this is sounding harsh but it was a little bit much by 11 am lol

Give him an iPad upon arrival
No, really, maybe some busy work, like legos or practice letter writing, playdoh, etc. Something different each day on the table when he arrives. Just tell him to go play quietly until the other kids arrive And then he can play with them. He will get it eventually.
SillyGrl 09:20 AM 05-28-2014
Has he been in care before? My youngest brother was born when I was 18 and our other brother was 16, so he was pretty much raised as an only child. He preferred being around adults instead of playing with kids simply because that's what he was always around at home. My 8 yr old is a talker. I have to actually tell him to stop talking and go play or read. I guess the only advice I can give would be maybe to continually redirect him to play with or talk to the other kids instead of yourself?
Reply Up