Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Painting Toddler Beds
storybookending 07:11 PM 08-27-2017
I am wondering if anyone here has any experience in painting plastic toddler beds? The beds my older children use were all hand me downs from family members. They are pink which is great now because my girls love them but I can foresee my boys growing up and not wanting to sleep in "girl beds". The beds are those ones with plastic head and foot boards and the frame part is metal. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience in painting plastic toddler beds. I have seen tutorials online but I was wondering if anyone here has done it/knows how well it holds up/if it peels off easily as I obviously can't have that happening.
sharlan 02:50 PM 08-28-2017
Not a bed, but my adopted grandson painted his Little Tykes car that I had for his daughter. He bought a special spray paint from Lowe's.

He said it was really easy and cane out nice.
The car was 26 years old and spent all that time outside ridden by a lot of kids.
storybookending 04:48 PM 08-28-2017
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Not a bed, but my adopted grandson painted his Little Tykes car that I had for his daughter. He bought a special spray paint from Lowe's.

He said it was really easy and cane out nice.
The car was 26 years old and spent all that time outside ridden by a lot of kids.
I have seen those revamped little tykes cars painted on Pinterest too now that you mention that. If those hold up Even after being driven around I'm sure the beds should be fine. I am hoping to paint them over the long weekend. I made them all brand new tie blankets for their beds this weekend! Just gonna revamp the feel of the whole room!
Unregistered 04:50 PM 08-28-2017
Krylon makes a great product to spray paint plastic things. I painted an outdoor tugboat and it is still vibrant and non peeling after 3 summers of intensive sun.
Mike 05:43 PM 08-28-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Krylon makes a great product to spray paint plastic things. I painted an outdoor tugboat and it is still vibrant and non peeling after 3 summers of intensive sun.
That's the brand I use. To make it last even longer, lightly sand as much of it as you can with 240 or 320 grit (very fine) sandpaper. That gives the paint a better grab so even wear and tear, like climbing on and off, won't be a problem.
storybookending 09:56 PM 09-02-2017
11.5 cans of spray paint to paint 4 beds but I love how they turned out. They aren't perfect but I can't wait for the girls to see them Tuesday. Hoping to change the curtains out to match the room better when Target runs their curtain sale again.
Attached: 15.jpg (106.6 KB) 
Jupadia 05:02 AM 09-03-2017
They look very nice. Great job. Im sure they will love them.
DaveA 06:00 AM 09-03-2017
Those look nice. Good job
Josiegirl 02:28 PM 09-03-2017
How cute!
CalCare 08:50 PM 09-03-2017
That looks fantastic. What age can they start using those? You would be using these for naps, I presume? Or only for your own sons?
daycarediva 05:30 AM 09-04-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
YES! I repaint all of my little tykes stuff with it. It doesn't fade nearly as much!
storybookending 12:25 PM 09-04-2017
Originally Posted by CalCare:
That looks fantastic. What age can they start using those? You would be using these for naps, I presume? Or only for your own sons?
My state doesn't have a specific rules on when to switch from pack n plays/cribs to beds just that each child should have their own bed at least 2 inches thick, laundered every 5 sleeps, and at least 2 feet away from the next sleeping child. I move the child when I feel they are ready. I just transitioned a 21 month old. I have a current child in care that didn't switch until she was over 2.5. She slept in a pack n play at home and it's what she was comfortable with.
Tags:toddler bed; nap mat; bedding; pvc
Reply Up