Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing Daycare
AnythingsPossible 09:51 AM 11-18-2019
If you were planning to close the end of the year when would you give notice? I am debating the last day of care before Thanksgiving or the first day back after Thanksgiving. Would you give everyone a brief statement that you will be closing with a letter going into further detail or just tell them and leave it at that. I appreciate any input you all can offer.
Cat Herder 09:58 AM 11-18-2019
If I were closing in the middle of the school year I would try to give as much notice as possible. It is pretty difficult to find care mid-year, here. I think the general guideline is 30 days, though.

Are you planning to close as of New Years Day?
AnythingsPossible 10:38 AM 11-18-2019
My last day would be December 20th as no one needs care over Christmas Break. Would you give notice this week then?
Cat Herder 10:51 AM 11-18-2019
I would.

It may be really difficult to find care during the holidays since even the drop-in slots are being filled with school closures.

I know some families may pull early, so if you need to scale it back to two weeks, do what is in your family's best interests.
Gemma 10:51 AM 11-18-2019
If I was closing next month, I would give parents notice right away.
DaveA 11:13 AM 11-18-2019
If you're closing 12/20 I would give notice this week.
jenboo 12:34 PM 11-18-2019
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
My last day would be December 20th as no one needs care over Christmas Break. Would you give notice this week then?
I closed the same time a couple years ago (I've reopened since then) and gave notice mid nov
Jo123ABC 01:17 PM 11-18-2019
I would wait a bit for fear of losing income early if it's a year out from your planned close date. I'd give maybe 3 months notice. If you're okay with losing income early than tell them as soon as possible.
AnythingsPossible 01:23 PM 11-18-2019
With the holiday break they all will be taking, giving notice now will give them 6 weeks to find new care. I am not worried about them leaving me if they find care but I do worry about 5 weeks of trying to convince me not to close and passive aggressive comments about me closing. They aren't going to be happy, but I am at a point where I need to put my needs above theirs.
Tags:closing daycare - how to
Reply Up