Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would this be considered breaking my own policy?
rjskids 08:19 PM 08-05-2011
I had a friend ask if her child could come to my house a couple times a week just while she goes to workout. She would work with whatever days and times work out best for me. I told her I would because I have two part time kids that leave me with a lot of schedule room to work with and I'm thinkin' any extra money is helpful. But in my handbook I have stated I require a minimum $60 fee a week for part timers. Well, obviously I can't charge her that for only a few hours a week but not sure what or how I would charge (cause she's probably thinking like a babysitter fee- hourly). Do you think that is unprofessional and unfair? This isn't the first time I've been asked something like this as far as a "drop-in" type basis. And I really don't mind it, just don't know how to charge and stick with it for everyone cause everyone has a different situation.
sharlan 08:28 PM 08-05-2011
It's your policy to decide what's best for you in each situation.

Since you're only talking maybe 4 - 6 hrs a week, I'd come up with a $ per hour amount and charge her accordingly. Your other parents have no idea what you charge the other person.
mom2many 08:29 PM 08-05-2011
I have done hourly drop in care for many individuals over the years, especially when I have a morning or afternoon slot open. I don't have a minimum fee and if I did, I would just wave it for "special" circumstances like this. This has always been a very lucrative way to fill any gaps in my day and ensure all of my spots are filled. The dcms love it and it benefits me as well! I always charge a higher hourly rate for this type of situation too, so it is well worth my while!
rjskids 05:00 AM 08-06-2011
So, if I normally charge $15 for a half day (less than 5 hours) that breaks down to about $3 an hour. So do you think asking $5 an hour for hourly care is decent or not enough?
Danielle 05:28 AM 08-06-2011
My part time rate breaks down to about $3/hour but my drop in rate is $7/hour if it's just a few hours. If it's more than 5 hours, it's $30 for the day.
mom2many 07:28 AM 08-06-2011
Originally Posted by rjskids:
So, if I normally charge $15 for a half day (less than 5 hours) that breaks down to about $3 an hour. So do you think asking $5 an hour for hourly care is decent or not enough?
$5/hr sounds totally fair to me. I had a family coming here when dcm was taking a few morning classes and was charging her on that same scale. I think it is only good business to charge a little more for less time. (Babysitters in my area get paid $10/hr, so if anything, I was still underpaid and giving her a great deal!)
Abigail 07:41 AM 08-06-2011
You have full time and part time, so create in your handbook drop in as an option without listing any rate and you're good to go!
Crazy8 10:07 AM 08-06-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
You have full time and part time, so create in your handbook drop in as an option without listing any rate and you're good to go!
I agree - come up with a drop in policy -that is what she will be doing. Depending on the rates in your area I think $3-5 an hour sounds fair. Does she know she will be paying for the service??
cheerfuldom 11:16 AM 08-06-2011
I have wording at the end of my contract stating that I reserve the right to make exceptions to any of my policies at my discretion.
Reply Up