Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Climbing On Furniture
hoopinglady 05:18 AM 10-20-2011
The kids are naturally inclined to do it obviously.

I have gone back and forth on it. I hear myself "feet on the floor" etc a zillion time a day (from the same kid) and wonder if I'm being unreasonable. I don't want them jumping and climbing but will allow standing on the chairs to look out the window or sitting on the arm/back of the sofa. My furniture is nothing fancy, let me tell ya.

Is it setting a bad precedent or is it age appropriate? What are your rules?
mismatchedsocks 05:23 AM 10-20-2011
I must be mean. I dont let the daycare kids on my rocking chair or sofa. I have enough "childsize" items/chairs/furniture/etc, there is no reason for it.
morgan24 05:33 AM 10-20-2011
I must be mean too. I give them one chance on my sofa or chairs and if they can't sit on their butts and not play around they stay off it the rest of the day. They are only in my living room when I'm making lunch, the rest of the time we are in the daycare play room and that only has one chair for me and the rest are child size chairs.
awestbrook713 05:33 AM 10-20-2011
I am constantly telling the kids to sit on their bottoms on the furniture, no jumping, off the arm of the couch, or you will be sitting on the floor for the remainder of the day. My furniture is not a jungle gym. I don't allow my children to jump all over it and I doubt the dcp allow their children to do it at home. Now that I think of it I asked a 3 yr old dcb one day if his mommy let him jump on her furniture which he responded yes. I said ok well we will just check when she comes to pick you up, boy was mom surprised to hear that she allowed that behavior at home. My furniture is nothing fancy either, just hand me downs but they have to last me and a child jumping on it will not make it last long.
iheartkids 05:36 AM 10-20-2011
Mine are not allowed on the furniture unless they are sitting looking at books are cuddling with me. They all seem to have the urge to stand and jump around when left unattended and I feel it's not only a safety thing to sit nicely but also respectful. When I visit other people's houses I don't allow my kids to jump or stand on their furniture.
Blackcat31 05:49 AM 10-20-2011
I have a friend from high school that I used to argue with constantly about this same subject. She let her boys sit in the back and arms of the sofa ALL the time. They climbed on EVERYTHING!!!

I taught my kids to sit properly and hated that she allowed her children to climb on my furniture. She always said he stuff wan't high end or expensive so she wasn't going to bother making them.

I know her stuff may have not been super nice or expensive but years later when she did get nice expensive stuff....guess who trashed it???

I think it isn't the point about how nice your stuff is or isn't, it is a respect thing that children should not be taught to treat things in ways they aren't meant to be treated. JMHO.

As a parent, I would be upset if my DCP allowed my kids to do something like that when I worked so hard to teach them differently.

Kids naturally pick their noses, wipe their boogies and show their privates but we still teach them proper social behaviors. KWIM?
Heidi 05:58 AM 10-20-2011
I guess we're just a bunch of meanies here! Couches (chairs) are for sitting on! Tables are NOT for climbing on, we climb on the jungle gym.
nannyde 06:07 AM 10-20-2011
I don't have any kiddie furniture except for the table and chairs the kids eat and do stuff on. The table and chairs are by invite only.

They don't have access to anything that they CAN climb on. I don't have adult furniture in the room except for a rocker that is OFF LIMITS at all times.

No climbing in my house.
wahmof3 06:40 AM 10-20-2011
Same here- you can sit on my furniture. No toys, standing, or jumping. You get 1 chance. No respect, No sit.

What burns me is when the dcp arrive its nothing for them to dive, run, & jump on my furniture!! Thank goodness this hasn't happened in a while!
2ndFamilyDC 11:46 AM 10-20-2011
I no longer have the room I do daycare in filled with furniture. Just kids stuff.
But when I did I did not allow them on it either. My first set of furniture

the daycare kids wrecked, so when I bought new stuff I did not let

daycare kids on it.

Last January when I was selling my furniture and my brothers and

sister in laws found out that it was in excellent shape, they asked how

could it look so good when it was in daycare room, I said "I never allowed

the kids on it" They were shocked. They thought I was so mean

to not have let the kids on it.

I should say this room was our family room, not it is strictly a playroom.
Meyou 12:02 PM 10-20-2011
I don't have any grownup furniture in the daycare areas. I even sit in a little chair in the playroom to read. I used to have a futon but it was a constant source of trouble. Jumping, lying down and not making room, tears and drama. I'm much happier without it.
hoopinglady 12:08 PM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I don't have any grownup furniture in the daycare areas. I even sit in a little chair in the playroom to read. I used to have a futon but it was a constant source of trouble. Jumping, lying down and not making room, tears and drama. I'm much happier without it.
I'm thinking this might be the way to go.

Except my daycare rooms are my entire downstairs.

eh, my bedrooms fairly sizeable maybe I can live in there.
DCMom 12:44 PM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Same here. Absolutely no climbing on the furniture.

When I had daycare upstairs in our living area, I had a family who was allowed to use the sofa as a jungle gym at home. Literally. Jumping off the back, climbing on the arms, etc. When I said "NO WAY" to it at my house, mom was shocked. Literally shocked that I wouldn't let her little darlings jump off the back of my sofa.

The got grounded from the sofa one Friday, told mom about it at pick up and on Monday the kids came in and she told me: "We've reached a compromise on the sofa jumping. I told them they could only use the center cushion on your sofa for jumping and absolutely no jumping of the back".

She was completely serious. She really, truly thought she had worked out a compromise that was workable for me AND her kids...needless to say, they didn't last long, lol
mismatchedsocks 12:46 PM 10-20-2011
Wow some nerve, telling her kids how they can destruct your house. I would cut an ad from the paper of a beautiful and expensive sofa. Give to the mom and tell her since yuor kids are ruining my sofa, and you are telling them how, i figured you wanted to buy me a new sofa!
Unregistered 11:05 AM 10-22-2011
How old is the child who climbs? I used to expect the children to follow the rule that we climb outside or on a climber, and not on furniture. Does the child have opportunities to climb on equipment meant for climbing? Does the child climb on furniture at home? Children need to develop large motor skills and some love to climb. Try to remove the filters that you use to determine why climbing on furniture is not appropriate. What is the reason that you don't want the child to climb on furniture? Safety, manners, your belief, whatever the reason, think about it from the child's perspective. Perhaps you might put a small climber in the area near the furniture that is climbed on. This way, the child's needs are met, climbing is a good thing, and you redirect the child to the climber, problem solved.
nannyde 12:07 PM 10-22-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How old is the child who climbs? I used to expect the children to follow the rule that we climb outside or on a climber, and not on furniture. Does the child have opportunities to climb on equipment meant for climbing? Does the child climb on furniture at home? Children need to develop large motor skills and some love to climb. Try to remove the filters that you use to determine why climbing on furniture is not appropriate. What is the reason that you don't want the child to climb on furniture? Safety, manners, your belief, whatever the reason, think about it from the child's perspective. Perhaps you might put a small climber in the area near the furniture that is climbed on. This way, the child's needs are met, climbing is a good thing, and you redirect the child to the climber, problem solved.
I can explain it to you very easily.

All it takes is ONE injury.. one elbow, neck, head, or clavicle injury... one hit to the spleen ... just ONE............. and everything you have worked for your whole life goes POOF.

One medical thing that happens that costs thousands of dollar for treatment, surgery, physical therapy, ER visits... just ONE and you are done.

Sure you can get some medical or injury insurance but you get that ONCE. Once you have a claim that is thousands upon thousands of dollars you put your business and your HOME mortgage and ability to GET insured at very high risk.

They are safer on the ground. They need to learn to climb with the ones who have the insurance that will just cover the medical costs without affecting their home and their livlihood. That would be with the parents or the public.

They need to climb with the ones who when they go off to the emergency room that the adults who manage the kids believe "kids will be kids" and "it was just an accident". There's a REASON why they ask you WHERE the fall happened when you present your injured kid at the ER. It's for money and for accountability. With the parents it's understood kids will fall and be hurt. There's NO understanding of that for child care. Zero.... none .... ziltch.

Iowa says "careful supervision at all times". That means if I allow them to climb I must have an adult CAREFULLY supervising that kid every second they are doing it. That means I have to have an adult SPOTTING that child so he doesn't fall and get hurt.

What you are saying is just words and it sounds really fun and kid centric. It's not based on money, livlihood, insurance, or accountability. It's just fun words that are frosted with developementally appropriate.

It's easy to SAY that and THINK it's best for the babies...... but you aren't paying for it when it happens at my house. I am and I say no climbing. A kids need to learn to climb isn't as important as my ability to feed my kid and keep a roof over our head. It's not more important than my being able to keep my insurance, my registration, and my nurse's licensce.

Give me carte blanche to allow them to get hurt and not hold me accountable because kids will be kids and it's best for the babies and I'll have them acting like monkeys all day every day. Tell me I have to pay if they get hurt on my property and now my needs are more important than a developmental skill that can be learned on someone else's watch for free.
hoopinglady 12:16 PM 10-22-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you. This is it exactly, particularly with the toddlers, it's perfect for climbing...and especially in the coming winter, it will be a good thing to have things to climb on when we're all cooped up.

I am honestly not worried about my current furniture AT ALL. I'm also not worried about replacing it.

I guess I would worry about the parents not liking it should they actually care about their own furniture, lol.

Hmm, climbers are expensive. Maybe I could scrub the outside one really well and bring it in for the winter?? That might be fun...or find something on craigslist.

I thought about a bunk bed, sort of like a loft but my brother and son thought that was TERRIBLE idea. I don't think it'd be too bad if I chose the right type of bed.

Have you priced the climber type wooden bed? crazy expensive but sooo cool!
kendallina 12:36 PM 10-22-2011
We use my livingroom for the preschool for part of the morning and I allow children to get up on my couch/recliner and sit there. If they stand on it/jump on it/bounce on it, they lose their right to being on the couch for the day. I don't think it's appropriate to allow these kinds of activities on my home furniture that is used for sitting.

My own DD, who is only 24 lbs and almost 3 years old is allowed to climb on the arms and such (but not jump or bounce) when preschool kiddos are not here. And she knows how to behave on a couch when we go to someone else's house, she wouldn't climb on the arms or back or anything.

We do have an adult sized chair that I allow the 'helper of the day' to stand on to feed our fish (named Duck...lol). It's the only time that children are allowed to climb and I'm standing right there.

Not allowing children on the furniture at all seems cold and wouldn't work for me.
cheerfuldom 01:58 PM 10-22-2011
My daycare area is completely separate from our living space. We do have table and chairs plus a glider for me but there is no climbing on any of those items (besides sitting correctly in the chair of course). I cannot think of a single reason to allow a daycare child to climb. Our outdoor toys that do allow for some climbing are still very close to the ground. I do not want anyone getting hurt here, period. If a child "needs" to climb, they can do that with mom and dad at the park. We are upstairs a bit and I do not allow any daycare kids on my couch or any other furniture besides seated correctly at the kitchen table.
Tags:climbers
Reply Up