Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Building Question
Hunni Bee 10:53 AM 12-19-2011
I know a few of you (Sugar Magnolia?) are in older buildings, so maybe you can help me with this. We are in an 87 year old building, and the walls are made of plaster instead of sheetrock, etc. Any thing I try to affix to the wall with tape falls down in a matter of minutes, especially in the winter. Its really a problem because my regs say I have to display 2 pieces of artwork per child and I can't get any to stay up there. I have bulletin boards, but they're located in dumb places like behind doors, in the hallway, etc...

Does anyone have/had this issue? The only way I can get them to stay up there is with pushpins and they're not safe to have around my age group...
mac60 11:18 AM 12-19-2011
Can you attach a a piece of trim wood at eye level on the wall, glue small clothes pins and you can display all the artwork you want. Or 2,3 or 4 eye hooks spaces out with fish line strung in between, then use those black paper binders or small clothes pins to attach artwork.
mismatchedsocks 11:22 AM 12-19-2011
I use that tacky blue stuff. I cant think of the name, but it works on my plaster walls. But I do have a wall with a huge tackboard that is nailed to wall and i hang artwork on it.
Meeko 11:33 AM 12-19-2011
My home is an older home and has plaster walls. We use gorilla hooks (also called Hercules hooks) for a lot of stuff. They push in easily, hold securely and only leave a pin size hole when removed. You could use them to hang a bigger bulletin board, maybe?
Attached: hooks.jpg (19.5 KB) 
Hunni Bee 07:50 PM 12-19-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
Or 2,3 or 4 eye hooks spaces out with fish line strung in between, then use those black paper binders or small clothes pins to attach artwork.
I think I'm going to do this....thanks a bunch! It was irritating to come in every morning and find everything on the floor. And this way, no little passing hands or butts will knock it down.
countrymom 05:50 AM 12-20-2011
I don't have plaster walls, but I hate having tape marks and blue sticky marks on my wall. So right now i have a clothes line that hangs stuff, but it hangs infront of the window and I can't pull the blind down, but on pintrest someone posted clip boards attatched to the wall and had the word art in wood letters over top. Well everytime the kids did art they just attatch them to the clip boards, easy to change. I need to find the letters.
Sugar Magnolia 10:29 AM 12-20-2011
My walls are all modern sheetrock too. The only parts of my school left that are 100 years old are the actual frame, a closet door, the window sills and an iron railing. Everything else is modern. I have a cool system for art display, BUT it involves drilling into the walls. I drilled these hard, clear plastic "document holders" into the walls. They are like rigid envelopes that you slide the artwork in from the top. Pm me w your email and I'll send you a picture, as that description I just gave is pretty weak. I LOVE my system. 3D artwork gets hung from a "pots and pans" hanging rack in the kitchen. Old houses are soooo cool, but sheesh they are a pain sometimes. Side tracked: you know what's the coolest part of the historic house? Telling the kids the story of I.A Redd, the house's patriarch. They have heard it sooo many times they finish the sentences. "I.A. Redd was a soldier in....". "The civil war!" they shout. "And he came to Sarasota and started....". "A cattle ranch!", and on and on about Mr. Redd. Their favorite part of the story is "and this house was moved....". "From Fruitville in 1939!" Cool. I am now branching out into stories of John Ringling and the circus era. I am willing to bet no other preschoolers know so much about Sarasota history. Lol!
Country Kids 12:54 PM 12-20-2011
You could also put thin pieces of cork board around. They sell strips of cork usually at an office supply store.
Tags:hanging posters
Reply Up