Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Family Daycare Providers In PA, Are You Here?
Baan Dek Lek 04:24 AM 06-12-2012
I live in Bucks county, PA and I have been dreaming about opening a family daycare next year. I would like to know/meet anyone who has a family daycare in this area or share their experiences with me. If you are willing to let me visit/observe/tour that would be great. Maybe I can even volunteer sometime. Since there are many standards in PA, such as Keystone Stars. That is why I make this post. Do you have CDA and participate Stars program? Hope to see you all here.
Michael 01:57 PM 06-12-2012
I'm going to see if I can round you up some.

Here are some members from PM. I will also email them to come to this thread.

bamzmama
ConcernedMother
daycarelady68
director1412
Ganginwood
gilfans
girdov12
herrschildcare
icaredaycare
jseg048
kelliemarie55
Kris5x2
leadhead15717
louie
magsgma
MEFC
melissa ann
My Angels
Parafly
PeaceAndSpirit
PghGurl
robinr
sanderson
starquest52
STARSHINE852
thatdivalady
tinytots19352
magsgma 06:39 PM 06-12-2012
Originally Posted by Baan Dek Lek:
I live in Bucks county, PA and I have been dreaming about opening a family daycare next year. I would like to know/meet anyone who has a family daycare in this area or share their experiences with me. If you are willing to let me visit/observe/tour that would be great. Maybe I can even volunteer sometime. Since there are many standards in PA, such as Keystone Stars. That is why I make this post. Do you have CDA and participate Stars program? Hope to see you all here.
Hi & Welcome!
I am from PA how can I help?
I earned my CDA when I worked for the Head Start program. I have been a Child Care Practioner (PA's title not mine) since 1993. I chose not to participate in STARS.
director1412 07:59 PM 06-12-2012
Hello. I am from Cumberland county and am the director of a child care center. We are enrolled in the Keystone STARS program so if you have questions I would love to help.
daycarelady68 03:16 AM 06-13-2012
I have a family day care in PA. I don't do the keystone stars program, it just seemed like too much added work to me. I've been open over 4 years, if you need any help let me know.
magsgma 04:08 AM 06-13-2012
You can set up your program and use the State regs as well as the “Standards” when setting up your Family Child Care you do not need to enroll in KS unless you want to get grants. Just keep in mind you will get nowhere near what a Center gets as far as grant money and from what I understand you will have to make the improvements first before you get the money.
You can get a copy of FCCERS (Family Child Care Environment Rating Scale) to help you with your set up.
I am always upgrading and changing things around here (drives my DH batty) we just had a 4 day weekend & spent it working on my outdoor play area…
Unregistered 05:54 AM 06-13-2012
Hello, I live in Erie, PA. I've volunteered in headstart programs, degree in education, was a preK teacher for 3 years @ our local YMCA. My family daycare is currently a 1 STAR working on a 2.I don't think it will go past a 2 because of all the paper work and requirements. STARS program asks for more done than the state itself..The grant money is good to start up each STAR however, not worth the more work to do.. I need a life outside daycare too. If you need help on any info feel free to email me @ ..... STARSHINE852@aol.com
herrschildcare 06:13 AM 06-13-2012
If you plan to have children with CCIS from the county you have to spend and make time to do the keystone it is required by law and you must do this if you are licensed with the state.
Originally Posted by daycarelady68:
I have a family day care in PA. I don't do the keystone stars program, it just seemed like too much added work to me. I've been open over 4 years, if you need any help let me know.

magsgma 06:44 AM 06-13-2012
Originally Posted by herrschildcare:
If you plan to have children with CCIS from the county you have to spend and make time to do the keystone it is required by law and you must do this if you are licensed with the state.
This is not true in my county -- so you will need to see what is true for your area. Although the opposite is true. You need to ACCEPT CCIS families in order to maintain your STAR status.
I have had and currently have CCIS children and I am strictly an INDEPENDENT Practioner. I am registered with OCDEL (DPW) but chose not to go with STARS.
STARS is voluntary and not "required by law".
Again it may be a stipulation by your county but it is NOT required (yet)
STARSHINE852 06:45 AM 06-13-2012
In Erie, PA there are family daycares w/CCIS They are not required to do the STARS. They do say in time it will be but for now its not a requirement..Must depend on the counties
magsgma 11:00 AM 06-13-2012
Originally Posted by STARSHINE852:
In Erie, PA there are family daycares w/CCIS They are not required to do the STARS. They do say in time it will be but for now its not a requirement..Must depend on the counties
Oh I can see it happening. The STARS program is having trouble right now showing that it is "working" There is a large percentage from my area that do NOT participate. They just sent around a survey to ask why. I bet that most of the providers didn't even bother to fill it out. By making it mandatory then they can get their "numbers" up and it will "look" better for them when doing the analysis when they want to justify the need for funding. This way they can say ***X number of children are benefiting by the program when in fact they are not. What we need in this state is more funding for parents for CCIS so they can go to work and not have to pay 25- 50% out in child care... AND the STATE (or TXX) need to pay the providers in a timely manner so more providers would be willing to take on subsidized clients.
I have never had an issue with subsidy - except during the budget impasse when I had to "carry" my CCIS family for 3 months without a pay. We finally got paid in October -- it was like a Christmas Club LOL!

Oh and BTW -- I "heard" that new regulations are coming out again -- I will venture a guess -- around July or so...
Baan Dek Lek 07:44 PM 06-13-2012
I guess I'm the youngest here, especially my daycare experience. I have been working in a daycare just for 2 years. I love the job but not the pay. So I believe that I can make more money with family daycare. I'm learning here. There is a lot of information here. Thanks everyone, thanks Daycare.com
By the way, what is CCIS?
Unregistered 03:54 AM 06-15-2012
I guess I'm the youngest here, especially my daycare experience. I have been working in a daycare just for 2 years. I love the job but not the pay. So I believe that I can make more money with family daycare. I'm learning here. There is a lot of information here. Thanks everyone, thanks Daycare.com
CCIS is Child Care Information Services - it is the agency that handles families that receive child care subsidy and is also a resource and referral agency for families looking for child care. They can not "refer" a particular child care center or home but they will provide a family with a list and guide.
magsgma 04:00 AM 06-15-2012
[I already responded but didn't realize that I wasn't signed in]

CCIS Stands for Child Care Information Services. It is the agency that handles subsidized families.
They also give out lists of centers and child care homes to parents looking for Child care. They do not recommend one over another just give lists and guide. Whether or not you take subsidy clients - I believe your name will be on the list if you are registered the state .
thatdivalady 07:35 AM 06-15-2012
Hi there, I'm in Allegheny County and started my family daycare not too long ago. Feel free to PM me with any suggestions! I'm also available to answer any questions I can answer : )
melissa ann 05:58 AM 06-22-2012
How many children are you interested in taking care of? In Pa. we are allowed up to 3 without being licensed, if you are licensed than you can have 4-6. After that I think it's not called family daycare but I think then you could have up to 12, depending on the size of your childcare space.

Do you want to take CCIS? I did for a short time. I had the family for over a year before they went on CCIS. However, I only did it for 6 months. Too much of a hassle and you have to wait to get paid. And if the PA budget isn't done by June 30, you won't get paid until the budget is finalized.
Subsidy pays so much per day, If you are licensed, they pay more per day. However, it's usually less than what providers charge. In my county, (Lebanon) we are allowed to charge the parents the difference. Ex. CCIS pays $15/day and you charge $25. You will be allowed to charge the parent the $10/day difference over their co-payment. You also don't get paid until a month after service. So for June, you won't get paid from CCIS until around the middle of July

What age of children do you want to watch? I prefer 2-5 yr olds. I did school-age for about 4 months, It was awful. Never again.
What will your hours be?

Get a handbook together with your policies. There is a STICKY in this forum on this. Check it out.

Get a contract, and always STICK to it. You let something slide once, be prepared for the parent to try to let other things slide. (I may get some heat for saying that, some parents will be grateful that you helped them with something and leave it at that. But more often than not, they will take advantage of you)

Will you do field trips? Leave your house/yard. In the summer. my dcp loved that we did picnics, went to the library story/craft hour, neighborhood walks, etc.

Will you do crafts? For younger kids, will you help prepare them for kindergarten?
Baan Dek Lek 12:38 PM 06-23-2012
[/size][/color]
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
How many children are you interested in taking care of? I'll say 3-4 kids at first. I want to have my own child when I'm doing daycare. Right now I work in daycare center. In Pa. we are allowed up to 3 without being licensed, if you are licensed than you can have 4-6. Do you mean babysit at home for 3 kids unrelated? After that I think it's not called family daycare but I think then you could have up to 12, depending on the size of your childcare space.

Do you want to take CCIS? I don't want to take it. I want to be paid ontime. I meant before giving my service. I hope I won't have to. I did for a short time. I had the family for over a year before they went on CCIS. However, I only did it for 6 months. Too much of a hassle and you have to wait to get paid. And if the PA budget isn't done by June 30, you won't get paid until the budget is finalized.
Subsidy pays so much per day, If you are licensed, they pay more per day. However, it's usually less than what providers charge. In my county, (Lebanon) we are allowed to charge the parents the difference. Ex. CCIS pays $15/day and you charge $25. You will be allowed to charge the parent the $10/day difference over their co-payment. You also don't get paid until a month after service. So for June, you won't get paid from CCIS until around the middle of July

What age of children do you want to watch? I prefer 2-5 yr olds. I did school-age for about 4 months, It was awful. Never again.
What will your hours be? I have been working with toddlers for 5 yrs. So I am more confident with this ages plus I should have my first baby too. I think about 1-4 yr olds. I want to open 8am - 5pm but it may have to be adjusted with customers' needs.

Get a handbook together with your policies. There is a STICKY in this forum on this. Check it out.

Get a contract, and always STICK to it. You let something slide once, be prepared for the parent to try to let other things slide. (I may get some heat for saying that, some parents will be grateful that you helped them with something and leave it at that. But more often than not, they will take advantage of you)

Will you do field trips? I would love to but I don't want to drive them. I think it may be more work about insurance and commute, pls suggest. There is a library a mile away. If I walk them, it should take 20-30 mins each way but there are a couple spots that there are no sidewalk. I'm not sure if DPW will be ok. Leave your house/yard. Sure, I will leave my small backyard (I live in townhouse with small yard that will be fit 4-6 kids) that I plan to make a mini playground. There is a big yard and playground in my community that I plan to take kids everyday, weather permited. In the summer. my dcp loved that we did picnics (I plan to do picnics), went to the library story/craft hour,I will do a lot of craft at my house for sure. neighborhood walks (Sure, they will go on walks), etc.

Will you do crafts? For younger kids, will you help prepare them for kindergarten?
I will try to do as much as I can. I'm thinking about having guesses come in to read for them/ parents, my husband, etc since I'm an Asian and have some accent. I want the best for kids.
Do you do mini pool/wadding pool? Are we allowed to do for toddlers 1-2 yr old? My I dea is like water play but in a mini yard pool that kids can sit in there. May be I will fill water in just 5 inches the maximum.

Baan Dek Lek 05:35 AM 02-03-2014
Hi,
I've just started to have my first client a 6 month baby into my care which will start her first day this week and I have a 4 mos old son. So far I just talked about care/prices/pay, no contract. Did you register yours before you get your first client? I'm just thinking about have 2 clients for now and see how things go before register with state and get more kids. Should I have contract with one or two customers?
Any experiences or warnings to share or suggestions?
Thanks
Tags:pennsylvania member
Reply Up