Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Provider Tips For Breastfed Baby
iheartkids 08:32 AM 10-04-2012
I have a 4 month old that fights sleep really bad and only takes 1/2 hour cat naps here and there. Is this normal for breastfed babies? It is really frustrating when it takes me n45 minutes to get him to sleep and he only sleeps 1/2 hour. An whether he eats before or after doesn't matter. I feel the reason he won't go right to sleep is because his mom just nurses him to sleep even if its not time to eat where at my house I try to establish a routine. I can't stick a bottle in his mouth every time he needs to be soothed. I want to suggest a pacifier but I'm sure they won't understand the need because they won't need it at home. Plus he eats almost every 2 hours! So as soon as he wakes up from his cat nap he wants to eat again! I spend the entire day trying to get him to go longer between the bottles and getting him to sleep that the other kids lose lots of attention.
youretooloud 08:36 AM 10-04-2012
I doubt it's because he's breast fed. It's probably his temperament, and what he's used to doing at home.

I don't know what you can do with infants, but I have found that putting the baby down in a dark room with white noise helps them sleep. But, I realize with the regulations you probably can't do that.
cheerfuldom 08:56 AM 10-04-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I doubt it's because he's breast fed. It's probably his temperament, and what he's used to doing at home.

I don't know what you can do with infants, but I have found that putting the baby down in a dark room with white noise helps them sleep. But, I realize with the regulations you probably can't do that.
yeah I dont think this is a breast fed issue. Breast fed babies can get on routines and go longer intervals between feeds. If you cannot do this on your own, you and mom need to come up with a plan that can be replicated at daycare (aka, no nursing to sleep). she needs to understand that she is accidentally setting him up for really hard days at daycare by training him at home to expect nursing to go to sleep. you might also check and see if they are holding him, rocking him or co-sleeping and again, that cant be replicated at daycare so its not a long term option. dont feel bad to request some paci options. i would imagine that at this point, he is over stimulated and exhausted and you may be seeing that as hungry cues. he needs more sleep. I have a 7 month old here that is taking two 2/3 hour naps a day. she is breastfed but mom and I have a good routine going and baby is not nursed to sleep. another thing you should try is swaddling! its worth a shot to get on the same page with mom otherwise he is going to escalate and you will end up terming because he will be so demanding at 6 months, you wont be able to keep up.
Nickel 10:39 AM 10-04-2012
Eating every 2 hours is very normal for breastfed babies. Especially ones that sleep through the night. Breast milk is digested much easier than formula, therefore it is processed by the body faster making the baby hungry sooner. Most breastfed babies also don't eat as much in one sitting, some only 2 ounces. Gradually that will change as the baby gets older and he will go longer and longer between feedings.

Many times a newborn will fall asleep at the breast cuddled in mama's arms, therefore they expect to go to sleep that way every time. it's really hard. I have a newborn 3 mnths old and she is the same way. She will only sleep at the end of a feeding and as soon as I put her down she is wide awake. i am considering wearing her because I can't sit here and hold her that long. I too wonder if she would take a paci. I do try swaddling, but not very tight. I think I will try it nice and snug when she comes today and see if I can get her to sleep longer on her own.

I would love to hear what actually worked for you so I can try it on my dcg as well. At least the sleep issues. my dcg is fed on demand and sleeps on demand. I don't try getting them into a schedule until they are much older and start on baby food.

Good luck, I understand how frustrating it can be!!!
Scout 10:43 AM 10-04-2012
They don't recommend pacis for bf babies. but that would be up to mom to decide. my kids never had any so called nipple confusion with bottles & breast. can mom sleep with a sleep sack for him or a blanket to swaddle him with? He may just need to smell her for comfort.
Scout 10:45 AM 10-04-2012
He is old enough for cereal, maybe that will help too.
Lilbutterflie 10:54 AM 10-04-2012
Although it seems to be an issue up for debate lately, but I SWEAR by good, tight, CORRECT swaddling for newborns until they can roll over. It does wonders! That, and Sssh & patting.
cheerfuldom 10:58 AM 10-04-2012
regarding routine, I have had wonderful success putting kids on routines beginning at 2 to 3 months old and this is my three kids and at least a dozen daycare babies. I would never wait till they are old enough for solids. Its not a strict schedule where I am letting them cry for long periods or starving a baby....just to clarify that.
MNMum 11:07 AM 10-04-2012
I had/have one like that! I think it is more her temperament. This is what was suggested to me:

Dark room, fan, back to sleep in a sleep sack. Put baby in there awake.

Didn't work for my little one. but maybe it will work for yours.

Pacifier is fine for a breastfed baby at daycare. No paci's is meant for a new baby learning how to breastfeed and to get a mother's milk supply up to par in the newborn period. However, many babies won't accept one at 4 mos if they haven't been given it before.

The little one I've had trouble with, is now 13 months old. She still sleeps horribly here. However, at home sleeps the recommended 1 hour in AM, 2 hours in PM. If I lay her down in the morning, she may sleep tops 1 hour. Then about 45 minutes in the afternoon. I've already transitioned her to one nap per day with the big kids, now she will usually sleep for 2 hours.

It is very frustrating! I feel for you!
providerandmomof4 12:40 PM 10-04-2012
I had the same problem with my dc baby. She was 3 mth when she started and wouldn't sleep. This is my grand-daughter mind you, so I felt comfy telling my daughter...Hey, this isn't working, we've gotta work together or I'm not going to be able to run a dc. She was taking up all of my time! First, she quit nursing her to sleep. Second, she introdced a bottle...Dr Brown's is the only one my gdd will take. Third, She had to stop walking, rocking, all that- to get to sleep. We got her in a routine and now things are great. She is almost 6 mths old and taking an hour nap in the morn and an hour to 2 hrs in the afternoon. We just had to get on the same page... hopefully this helps
spud912 01:45 PM 10-04-2012
He sounds like my younger dd. She had an insatiable appetite and wanted to nurse frequently. She never slept longer than 45 minutes at a time, but usually under 20 minutes multiple times a day. It wasn't until she really started feeding herself between 8 and 10 months (and me cutting her down to 1 nap a day) did she start napping for 2-4 hours. Fortunately in my case, I was doing daycare so I fed her on demand. She never did take a bottle and self-weened from the breast at 10-11 months. It was a little early in my opinion, but she absolutely refused anything but water and only in a sippy cup. Plus, she wouldn't let me feed her anything, so putting formula/bm in baby cereal was out of the question.

I would say to talk to mom and see if she could work with you on stretching out the feedings, have her use some bottles at home, and try to get her on a routine. If she's not adapting after a month and it becomes too much for you and your program, then I would actually consider terming. I can tell you honestly that my younger dd would be a very difficult daycare baby and I cringe at the thought of someone trying to watch her and be sane. It was so bad that both my dh and my mom did not want to watch her for any length of time. I hate to say it, but some babies really do need their mom and their mom only for the first few months of their lives.
Reply Up