Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting The Blues
melissa ann 12:06 PM 11-12-2012
Okay, I started at a center a little while ago. There are 4 other teachers besides me and the owner. Everyone is nice except 1. She doesn't like me (that's the impression I am getting) More than once, when one of the kids are not doing what they are supposed to, she will come over and yell(although that may be her normal voice because I have never heard her talk at a normal level) Why are you doing this? why are you doing that? we don't do that here. Now, this is after I will tell the child to stop doing what they are doing, etc. I admit, at first, it was a bit tough dealing with some of these kids. (had they been enrolled with me when I did childcare, I would have termed. some of these kids just plain don't listen and do what they want to) but, it's getting better. I know that being new, the kids wanted to see how far they could go with me.
Never working in a center, or putting my kids in one, I was unfamiliar on their expectations. Maybe I'm a little too easy going but I think it's very strict at the center. For instance, when eating lunch/snack the kids must eat in silence. When I did daycare, the kids would talk while eating and I talked with them. It was fine as long as they were eating.
If any of the kids need to use the restroom, they will go, keep the door open and when they are finished will call for their teacher to help them. The bathroom is in the main area, and is seen by everyone(other kids, parents picking up/dropping off kids, etc) I just don't think that is right.
I swear there is more telling the kids, stop doing this, stop doing that then there is anything good/positive. My group of kids have been responding well to me because I try to be understanding, be fair and listen. Some of these kids are hear 9-11 hours a day and just miss their parents.
Does anyone else use reading as a form of punishment? If the kids are misbehaving they are put in a reading station. I think that will make the kids not enjoy reading as they view it as punishment and as a result the kids could do poorly in school because of it. Reading should be an enjoyable learning experience.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Blackcat31 01:32 PM 11-12-2012
Ugh, wow MelissaAnn, that sounds like a tough place to work and an even tougher place for the kids to be.

Maybe some of their bad behaviors are actually symptoms of the rules and methods for guidance being really off base or not at all developmentally appropriate.

Could you at all talk privately with the director? I would think that she has some idea of the way things are done there and some knowledge of the correct ways to guide the kids.

Maybe she would be willing to listen and allow you some control to do thinkgs that you see fit or at least take into consideration that you feel the way you do.

If not, I might just consider contacting licensing and reporting some of their "ways" as well as seeing if you can't find work in a different center.
Sugar Magnolia 06:45 PM 11-12-2012
The things you have described would earn that center negative 2 stars! Reading as punishment? Eat in silence? Nope, not appropriate. I have a small center, so please don't think "ALL centers are like that." I had a client who came from a home daycare that was best described as kiddie jail. You should open your OWN center, and that is not crazy talk, it is possible. Or seek employment elsewhere. If you feel yelled at, constantly undermined and that the kids are not bring treated with respect, follow your gut. I hope the owners are good listeners and will value your opinions, but it doesn't sound like they are. So sorry to hear this, hope it gets better.
countrymom 05:49 AM 11-13-2012
is she an older lady. I'm just wondering if she has just had enough. I wonder if thats the way she has always delt with the children and no one ever has complained about her. I would talk to the director and let her know what is going on. Do you have alot of children who have left the center, I'm wondering if its because of her.
melissa ann 07:36 AM 11-13-2012
No, she's not old. I'd say early 30's. She has kids of her own, elem-middle school age. The owner is not much better, if you saw my post from a week or so ago about a boy who went to the bathroom in his pants. (here is the link: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53341 )
Everybody is fairly young, 20's -early 40's.
I don't know how many kids have left.
Tags:blues
Reply Up