Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DC Boy Showing Some Autism Signs?
Lilbutterflie 10:26 AM 06-10-2010
I just took on 3 siblings, two 4 yr old boys (different moms), and one 3 yr old girl. Alex is one of the 4 yr old boys, and from the beginning I could see he did not play with the other children. He spends every moment playing independently. On occasion he will join in to see what the others are doing, but then go off on his own again. However; he looks at me when he talks, he is very polite, he talks to the others, etc... He seems to have very good social skills with adults, he just prefers to play alone. ALWAYS.
Then today I served him a bologna and cheese sandwich (his mom said bologna is his favorite). He immediately pushed the plate away and said he did not like the bologna sandwich I made for him. Wouldn't even try it, and he wouldn't tell me what was wrong about it. He still sat there after 10 minutes, on the verge of tears, so I called his mom. This just wasn't like him. Turns out, bologna is his favorite at home, but she makes it for him by rolling it up, and putting mustard on the plate for dipping. After she spoke with him, he was crying (he is the only child I have that does not EVER cry!). He thought he was in trouble with me and his mom. As soon as I removed the bread, he still wouldn't eat it. It had to be rolled up. When I rolled it up, he immediately changed, and eat multiple bologna wraps.
Has anyone encountered a child displaying signs of autism? Does anyone agree this might be autism, or is this somewhat normal behavior for a 4 yr old boy? I have never encountered a child who didn't even play with his/her own siblings. Any advice would be great!
Lilbutterflie 10:29 AM 06-10-2010
I'd also like to add that I would normally attribute this to being in a new environment, but he's been with us for four weeks now. He has really adapted well to us, but still will not even play with his own siblings.
jen 11:52 AM 06-10-2010
To be honest, it sounds to me like he is just a child who prefers (due to his personalily/temperment) to play alone. You said that he interacts well, does he smile? laugh? answer when spoken to? Have you asked Mom how he interacts with other when not at daycare?

As for the bologna thing, it's probably just a "thing." When my son was 4 he had very definite ideas as to where on his plate food belonged. He is probably just used to having it that specific way.
Lilbutterflie 12:13 PM 06-10-2010
Thanks Jen! Yes, he smiles, laughs; all of that! I appreciate your opinion, b/c I've just never encountered this type of personality before. As a matter of fact, as I was writing the post, my son tried to play with him, and he said "Can you please leave? I just want to play alone." He wasn't rude, just matter-of-fact. And so my son left him alone! I guess at least he was using his words, right?
safechner 12:19 PM 06-10-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I just took on 3 siblings, two 4 yr old boys (different moms), and one 3 yr old girl. Alex is one of the 4 yr old boys, and from the beginning I could see he did not play with the other children. He spends every moment playing independently. On occasion he will join in to see what the others are doing, but then go off on his own again. However; he looks at me when he talks, he is very polite, he talks to the others, etc... He seems to have very good social skills with adults, he just prefers to play alone. ALWAYS.
Then today I served him a bologna and cheese sandwich (his mom said bologna is his favorite). He immediately pushed the plate away and said he did not like the bologna sandwich I made for him. Wouldn't even try it, and he wouldn't tell me what was wrong about it. He still sat there after 10 minutes, on the verge of tears, so I called his mom. This just wasn't like him. Turns out, bologna is his favorite at home, but she makes it for him by rolling it up, and putting mustard on the plate for dipping. After she spoke with him, he was crying (he is the only child I have that does not EVER cry!). He thought he was in trouble with me and his mom. As soon as I removed the bread, he still wouldn't eat it. It had to be rolled up. When I rolled it up, he immediately changed, and eat multiple bologna wraps.
Has anyone encountered a child displaying signs of autism? Does anyone agree this might be autism, or is this somewhat normal behavior for a 4 yr old boy? I have never encountered a child who didn't even play with his/her own siblings. Any advice would be great!
I dont think he has autism, who knows. My daughter has PDD on the Autism Spectrum that she only have problem with communication with others. Her social skills are fine. Just giving him sometime maybe 3 or 4 months. If it hasn't change anything then I will suggest to get him evaluation by doctor.
Tags:autism, autism spectrum disorder, pdd
Reply Up