Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>AS During Summer + No Naps = ?????
Christina72684 11:36 AM 05-17-2013
Starting the first week of June, I'm going to have 7 after schoolers and my 4 preschoolers will stop napping to prepare for kindergarten. OMG!!!! What am I gonna do with 11 kids all day with NO MORE NAPS! I've always used that time to clean up lunch, take a breather, do general cleaning, prepare activities, etc. Any suggestions?
mema 11:37 AM 05-17-2013
I would still do a quiet time. Have them grab some books and pull up a rug!
Rockgirl 11:39 AM 05-17-2013
I'd definitely still have a quiet rest time. They need it, and you need the break. My SA kids read books, color, do puzzles, etc. And they must be quiet during that time.
Unregistered 11:44 AM 05-17-2013
independent reading time?
journaling?
coloring or simple low mess independent crafting?
lots of outdoor time ahead, so they are worn out & quiet for a bit?

Countdown calendar so you know how many more working days to go before school starts again.

A large stash of chocolate.

Good Luck! You are a much braver woman than me
mrsnj 12:03 PM 05-17-2013
I like the count down calendar lol.

My prek kids nap until they are IN school. But all the same I have sa kids. Nap times (i still have some who nap) can be rough lol. Most of the time that is their pool time. But if I get a child who gets tired or needs a break I allow older kids to bring books, movies, hand held games, blanket, pillow. Then they can go lay down for a nap or quiet time and take a break. Rainy days they can't use the playroom where the little ones are napping so we do computers, board games, crafts, video games and movies.

You could try making a more complicated craft during that time like tye dye shirts. Or a cooking class to make the afternoons snack. I have done a reading program n if they read xyz books they get a reward. That would be a good time to do some of that reading. I also schedule one day a week during naps to do a field trip with my sa kids. Make a book as a group. Go for a walk. Build a tent. Go camping in the back yard. Good old fashioned outside relay games. Have them write and design and tape a play they did themselves.

But I think even some school age kids can do a quiet time. I have first graders who fall asleep on the bus! And one kinder who asks to nap with the little kids. Throw some pillows down shut the lights off and go for it if they will go for it.
mama0609 12:22 PM 05-17-2013
Oh you poor thing.
tenderhearts 12:40 PM 05-17-2013
I make them rest on mats and they watch a Disney movie.
Christina72684 01:51 PM 05-17-2013
Here's the best (in a sarcastic tone!) part of it......not only is this my first summer with a large group of after schoolers, I am 28 weeks pregnant!!!! I'm already moody and miserable lol Can't even imagine what it's gonna be like in July! Thank goodness I'm taking a week off mid-June!
daycare 02:01 PM 05-17-2013
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
Here's the best (in a sarcastic tone!) part of it......not only is this my first summer with a large group of after schoolers, I am 28 weeks pregnant!!!! I'm already moody and miserable lol Can't even imagine what it's gonna be like in July! Thank goodness I'm taking a week off mid-June!
WOW are you sure you are going to be ok? Please tell me you have helpers.....

I would still require at least 30-45 min of rest time. PUt a movie on during this time and require they lay on individual mats. Some may still need that time to pass out. You will need to have some down time. especially with being pg
Unregistered 02:05 PM 05-17-2013
oh wow, you REALLY are brave if you are willing to take that on without the ability to drink once the day is done.

Find a shady spot outdoors to put your feet up while they play. Keep things as simple as can be for the summer.

Maybe inlist a friend to help with preparing meals ahead for the week. Or have a teenage helper come in for a bit for a few hours in the afternoon?
Unregistered 02:08 PM 05-17-2013
My kids nap until they give it up on their own OR are not here for it- I NEVER keep kids up... During full days that I have mixed ages my SA kids have 1.5-2 hr rest time. On nice days they can play outside (unless they continually run in and out or come in loud then they lose the outside), read, watch a movie or color. If they aren't respectful of the sleeping kids they nap too- on a cot.
I think this summer my SA will be required to read for a half hour- it will be good for them and me. I may have them journel too!
LK5kids 02:53 PM 05-17-2013
I would also have the up coming K clan at least lay down and be quiet for 1/2 hr. when I taught kindergarten the kids rested for about 20/25 min. And I always had three/four fall asleep.I know some kindergartens no longer have rest time.

When I had a group of six 5 yr olds and 5 SA, the pre-k still rested and the SA played quietly in the next room. This was a FCC I had before I taught kindergarten. I had a day care addition that had one bigger room and one smaller room and I would relax in my living room.

My SA were always so good. The SA had a long table, and a smal playl space..it was my lunch area. I can't remember what I had for them to do, but they always stayed quiet and played nice.
youretooloud 03:34 PM 05-17-2013
One summer the kids played Harry Potter Uno almost every day during nap time. They would all go in one bedroom some days and turn out the lights and listed to scary stories on CD. Or, they'd watch movies.

If the weather were nice, i'd send them out to play during nap time. If I had a great yard, AND the weather were nice, i'd probably give them a project that will take most of the summer to build. (I've never had either of those things, so I can SAY that's what i'd do, but in reality, I have no idea)
Willow 05:07 PM 05-17-2013
Last summer when my kids were 7 and 9 they still had quiet time and often fell asleep. Being outside a lot and staying up late while school is out evened things out.

When daycare kids get older like that I really push the kid stop/kids club programs through the school. I let parents know I run a program geared towards younger kids and just don't have any way to keep all the gear needed to keep everyone of all ages occupied. You'd almost need an entire house devoted to daycare to store enough of everything to avoid everyone getting bored!

See how it plays out but don't be afraid to tell them it's just not working out.
AfterSchoolMom 06:30 PM 05-17-2013
I definitely agree with doing a rest time of at least 45 minutes. They must sit or lie quietly in one spot and read, write, draw, or some other silent activity. It won't hurt them, and you will need the break!

The last time I did summer SA care was five or six years ago. "Rest time" was the only time that I allowed them to play with their electronic games (with ear buds). I could have had three hour rest time if I'd wanted to.
cheerfuldom 06:35 PM 05-17-2013
I would make sure everyone was laying down and then they could watch a movie.

but just for the record, I wouldnt cut out naps for kinder prep. a lot of kindergartens still do naps for one and secondly, if I cut out naps, it wouldnt be till the end of summer, a couple weeks before school starts.
AmyLeigh 10:55 AM 05-18-2013
I will have 7 kids this summer, 3 are my own with only one napper. I plan on doing a lot of what was mentioned above, plus giving everyone chores to do. Seriously, have them do some cleaning, too. We will make 4 two person teams and each team will have two chores they are responsible for. They can either work together or separately. I will pair myself up with the napper, so she can do a little bit, then go lay down. After the chores are done, then they can choose their quiet time activities and I can choose mine. Lol. I can see this would help you get some rest in the middle of the day, instead of cleaning the entire time.
Cradle2crayons 12:22 PM 05-18-2013
This summer I will have an 8 year old dcg and my daughter who is 10.. Then I'll have my son who is five... And a 6 year old dcb.... And a 3 year old dcg and a 2 year old dcg.... All on day shift.... Then I'll have two on afternoon shift....one part time one full time.....
Little Star75 02:25 PM 05-18-2013
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
I like the count down calendar lol.

My prek kids nap until they are IN school. But all the same I have sa kids. Nap times (i still have some who nap) can be rough lol. Most of the time that is their pool time. But if I get a child who gets tired or needs a break I allow older kids to bring books, movies, hand held games, blanket, pillow. Then they can go lay down for a nap or quiet time and take a break. Rainy days they can't use the playroom where the little ones are napping so we do computers, board games, crafts, video games and movies.

You could try making a more complicated craft during that time like tye dye shirts. Or a cooking class to make the afternoons snack. I have done a reading program n if they read xyz books they get a reward. That would be a good time to do some of that reading. I also schedule one day a week during naps to do a field trip with my sa kids. Make a book as a group. Go for a walk. Build a tent. Go camping in the back yard. Good old fashioned outside relay games. Have them write and design and tape a play they did themselves.

But I think even some school age kids can do a quiet time. I have first graders who fall asleep on the bus! And one kinder who asks to nap with the little kids. Throw some pillows down shut the lights off and go for it if they will go for it.
what are the ages? if they are under 8 I would put them to rest at least quiet time. I have parents that requested for their dck to nap. You might want to ask the parents too. Now if these dck are over 8.... Good luck lol!
Reply Up