Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Annoyed
Lil'DinoEggs 05:05 AM 08-29-2013
I have been working with the 4 month old I have with rolling over. Today she rolled over, several times in fact. I know she didn't do it at home yet. I got it on video and everything. I decided not to tell her....I remember as a working mom missing my daughter's firsts. I just hinted "hey I bet she will do it, watch out". I just got a message from mom "hey she rolled over, but we were out so we missed it. luckily our babysitter got in video" aaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

I don't plan on showing her my video. Ill just keep it for her portfolio. But I am still debating about her other firsts she may have with me. To tell or not tell?
Maria2013 05:57 AM 08-29-2013
Originally Posted by Lil'DinoEggs:
I have been working with the 4 month old I have with rolling over. Today she rolled over, several times in fact. I know she didn't do it at home yet. I got it on video and everything. I decided not to tell her....I remember as a working mom missing my daughter's firsts. I just hinted "hey I bet she will do it, watch out". I just got a message from mom "hey she rolled over, but we were out so we missed it. luckily our babysitter got in video" aaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

I don't plan on showing her my video. Ill just keep it for her portfolio. But I am still debating about her other firsts she may have with me. To tell or not tell?
I don't tell, I let parents think they were first (or before me) regardless what their babysitter does
MyAngels 06:00 AM 08-29-2013
I never tell. If it's a potential safety issue like potentially rolling over off of a bed or something I'll do what you do and mention that she's really, really close so be sure not to leave her anywhere she might roll off.
Lil'DinoEggs 06:12 AM 08-29-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I never tell. If it's a potential safety issue like potentially rolling over off of a bed or something I'll do what you do and mention that she's really, really close so be sure not to leave her anywhere she might roll off.
I did tell mom on tues she rolled over in her sleep because if the safety issue. Mom seemed less worried and more excited, haha
MamaBear 07:44 AM 08-29-2013
I try not to say anything unless I know that they are already doing it at home... I want them to "think" they are seeing all the firsts. But if one of my daycare parents called me a 'babysitter' then I might not care lol
itlw8 08:28 AM 08-29-2013
I ask the parents what they want. Do they want to know or see it themselves. then I follow what they want. In this case I would say. hey dcm I have a video I took a few days ago of her rolling over but I wanted you to see it happen . Would you like a copy of it? And how do you want me to handle firsts from now on? Tell you or let you see it at home?
Blackcat31 08:34 AM 08-29-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I ask the parents what they want. Do they want to know or see it themselves. then I follow what they want. In this case I would say. hey dcm I have a video I took a few days ago of her rolling over but I wanted you to see it happen . Would you like a copy of it? And how do you want me to handle firsts from now on? Tell you or let you see it at home?
Yep. This is discussed during the interview.

I understand some parents hate to miss out on first but when you put your child in daycare for 90% of it's waking hours....you are going to miss a few.

It is the down side of being a working parent.

If they don't want to know then I don't/won't say anything . Unless it's safety related.
melilley 10:09 AM 08-29-2013
The only time that I tell them is if they tell me that they want to know when/if they do something. If they don't want me to tell them, it's really hard not to tell them because I am usually so proud of them and want to share!
Maria2013 10:13 AM 08-29-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I ask the parents what they want. Do they want to know or see it themselves. then I follow what they want.
I did that until I had a parent in tears cause she missed the kid's first steps, even if she had told me she'd want me to update her on milestones
Scout 11:00 AM 08-29-2013
I didn't want to know when I was working. The day my DS1 started crawling he was at my in laws. They didn't tell me but, I figured it out when his little arms had rug burn on them! He demonstrated later that evening a pretty good army crawl.
LK5kids 11:50 AM 08-29-2013
I don't tell...never have.
Lil'DinoEggs 02:50 PM 08-29-2013
In the future, I will continue to keep her "firsts" to myself. I thought about asking DCM, but then I could see her thinking "did she do somethings today? is DCP not telling me something? do I want to know?" etc.

Also to be clear, she was not calling me a babysitter. She had someone else watching DCG for a date night.

Shucks, I wish I was a babysitter....I'd make more money doing less work....but that is a different discussion, haha
Reply Up