Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Off Topic: Smooth Top Stove
originalkat 08:50 AM 12-18-2013
Hello Ladies! I need your help. I just got a new smooth cook top stove. I am really excited because I am notorious for dripping things on the stove! But, I have heard you need special pans so that it doesn't scratch. Any recommendations?
Also, I have heard they are hard to keep clean. What do you use to clean your cooktop. It has not been delivered yet so I do not have the owners manual yet. I will definitely read that, but I wanted to know if anyone with experience has any tips.
Thanks!!
Leigh 09:01 AM 12-18-2013
I have not had any issues with mine scratching. I have used several kinds of pans.

As far as cleaning, I have found nothing better than Weiman's: http://weiman.com/Products/Earned-Go...p-Cleaner.aspx

I use one of these handles: http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-C...ooktop+cleaner

with the white 3M Scotch Brite pads: http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-C...ooktop+cleaner

I cut the pads into quarters and attach to the handle.

This is the best and most economical way for me. Weiman also makes pads you can use, but the 3M ones (white) don't scratch, and are cheaper to use (for me-I get them directly from the employee store). I find that the handle was worth the investment, because it lets you get some force behind it. Just use the Weiman cleaner and the pad, then wipe clean with a paper towel.
Luna 09:02 AM 12-18-2013
We've only had ours for a couple of months and so far it hasn't been too hard to clean. I'm told its important to clean up spills right away and I know if I look at it from different angles I can see something I didn't see before. We got a speckled pattern surface so marks won't show as easily. We use the cleaner that came with the stove, Ceramabryte.
A neighbour told us cornstarch works well as a cleaner but we didn't have success with it.
I don't know about any particular pans that are needed, ours are kitchenaid. Of course you want something with a smooth bottom, not rough like some cast iron pans.
Unregistered 09:06 AM 12-18-2013
I LOVED the glass smooth stovetop! I am REALLY UPSET that we couldn't take it with when we moved because the sellers had a Jenn-Air vented stove that is actually quite old/expensive and works great! BUT it does NOT match the kitchen! Grrrr.
kitkat 09:14 AM 12-18-2013
We've had ours for 8 years. We just use regular pots and don't have a single scratch. We also use Ceramabryte or something similar to clean it. You do have to use a bit of elbow grease if you let it sit for a long while, but really, it cleans up nicely and waaayyyy easier than the other kind of stove. Do be very careful if you have storage above your stove. I dropped something and it chipped the edge of the stove. When we sold our old house, our first smooth top stayed with the house. We later heard that they also dropped something and cracked the stovetop. So, just be extra careful with above the stove storage of heavy things.
Unregistered 09:51 AM 12-18-2013
We use any pans and haven't had an issue with scratching. I would say, as someone else mentioned, clean up all spills right away. Ours was already in the house we bought so it wasn't new by any means but there are stains by the burners where spills weren't cleaned right away.
kelsey's kids 10:04 AM 12-18-2013
We use a stop scraper from Don aslett cleaning center and water. Work wonderfully and no chemicals or expensive cleaners
Blackcat31 10:23 AM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have not had any issues with mine scratching. I have used several kinds of pans.

As far as cleaning, I have found nothing better than Weiman's: http://weiman.com/Products/Earned-Go...p-Cleaner.aspx

I use one of these handles: http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-C...ooktop+cleaner

with the white 3M Scotch Brite pads: http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-C...ooktop+cleaner

I cut the pads into quarters and attach to the handle.

This is the best and most economical way for me. Weiman also makes pads you can use, but the 3M ones (white) don't scratch, and are cheaper to use (for me-I get them directly from the employee store). I find that the handle was worth the investment, because it lets you get some force behind it. Just use the Weiman cleaner and the pad, then wipe clean with a paper towel.
What she said^^^^

We just purchased our second smooth top stove. We've always had on at home and now just got one for daycare.

LOVE them!
TwinKristi 10:44 AM 12-18-2013
We use the Weiman cleaner with a non-scratch sponge and it's great! I love mine!!
Auntie'sHouse 10:44 AM 12-18-2013
I was told use a straight razor with warm soapy water. Works great for me.
Luna 11:15 AM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by kitkat:
We've had ours for 8 years. We just use regular pots and don't have a single scratch. We also use Ceramabryte or something similar to clean it. You do have to use a bit of elbow grease if you let it sit for a long while, but really, it cleans up nicely and waaayyyy easier than the other kind of stove. Do be very careful if you have storage above your stove. I dropped something and it chipped the edge of the stove. When we sold our old house, our first smooth top stayed with the house. We later heard that they also dropped something and cracked the stovetop. So, just be extra careful with above the stove storage of heavy things.
When we were stove shopping I was worried that the smooth tops would be too fragile and this ^ is what the salesman told us as well. He told us a couple of stories about customer complaints...one woman felt she needed to swirl her pans around while cooking, then complained when her stovetop became scratched. Another broke their stovetop when they stood on it to paint the ceiling.
originalkat 04:08 PM 12-18-2013
Okay, thanks guys!! This makes me feel a lot more comfortable with the purchase. I can't wait to try it out when it gets delivered next month!
crazydaycarelady 04:32 PM 12-18-2013
I don't use special pans. I also use just about anything to clean the top. I have used a Spic-n-Span steel wool pad, Soft Scrub, Windex, a razor blade. They seem to be pretty durable.
Reply Up