Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>16 Month Old Still Uses Bottle
Unregistered 05:28 PM 11-23-2016
I have a DCM of a 16 month old that still gives her son a bottle. Not formula, but 2%. Is there a licensing rule that states no bottle after 12 months? I put his milk in a sippy, because i dont believe children over 12 months need to use a bottle, but mom thinks i give him a bottle. How do I bring up that hes too old for a bottle?
Blackcat31 08:19 PM 11-23-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a DCM of a 16 month old that still gives her son a bottle. Not formula, but 2%. Is there a licensing rule that states no bottle after 12 months? I put his milk in a sippy, because i dont believe children over 12 months need to use a bottle, but mom thinks i give him a bottle. How do I bring up that hes too old for a bottle?
Ask her what her plan is. It helps if you can understand her reasoning and then you'll have a better idea about how to approach it.

Share developmental information and resources with her that state using a cup is something he should definitely be doing by now.

Some parents really just don't realize what is/isn't normal or developmentally appropriate and they are usually receptive to advice from their caregiver.
Jupadia 09:01 AM 11-24-2016
I just simply let know parts their child is now sippy cup trained and give parent back bottles. In this case I would also inform out development and still using bottle.
Ariana 10:43 AM 11-24-2016
I usually approach it by saying something like "some of the goals we are going to work on with X is learning to drink from a cup, so far she is doing really great so you can also start that at home. At this age is usually when kids transition away from a bottle and use a cup"
Max 06:19 AM 11-25-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Some parents really just don't realize what is/isn't normal or developmentally appropriate and they are usually receptive to advice from their caregiver.
Yep I remember I once told my DCP at drop off that I already burped my son (can't remember how old he was) and she was totally surprised I still did that and told me so. I wasn't offended, I just hadn't known any different as far as when I could stop burping. There's a lot to learn about kids and if you don't deal with this stuff all the time, it's hard to remember all the details

If she thinks you're still using a bottle, it's probably a simple miscommunication.
Leigh 09:57 AM 11-27-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Next time mom mentions the bottle, just say that he's ready for a sippy now and has been using one at daycare. My pediatrician suggests that bottles are removed by 15 months of age, so that's my limit here. Around 12 months, I start introducing a sippy, and by 15, they're off the bottle here.
Heidi 02:17 PM 11-28-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Next time mom mentions the bottle, just say that he's ready for a sippy now and has been using one at daycare. My pediatrician suggests that bottles are removed by 15 months of age, so that's my limit here. Around 12 months, I start introducing a sippy, and by 15, they're off the bottle here.
I started introducing a sippy at 6 months (when they can sit up), and by 15 months, they were off that and on to an open cup!

Well, by sippy I mean Bell Tumbler with a lid, not a "sippy" with a valve.

Of course, with my own first child, I was surprised when the doc told me he should have been off the bottle at a year (at 15 months). whoops!
Reply Up