Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hand foot n mouth
littlefriends 05:56 AM 11-26-2019
So I’ve got a kiddo (4 yrs) just got dropped off that has sores around his mouth. He missed yesterday with a fever. Mom says he had fever over the weekend but it’s been 24 hours. I’ve never seen hand foot and mouth so I’m not sure what it looks like. He doesn’t have any spots inside his mouth or on his hands/feet. Just kind of crusty, dried up spots around the outside corners of his mouth.
CountryRoads 06:08 AM 11-26-2019
I would be worried about HFM.

It is nasty. It took out my whole daycare about a year ago. I sent home a sibling set for fevers and they developed the sores the next day. Every single child got it, including my own. It was horrible, and right before the holidays I had to close for a week.

I called my pediatrician, and she said they could return to care once the fever has gone away. But, my child had it bad and I wanted to be there for just him. And I didn't want a house full of infected kids

I would definitely keep a close eye on him. I also knew it was going around my town, so if you've heard of any cases, I would send home.
rosieteddy 07:00 AM 11-26-2019
That is a terrible thing to bring into Daycare on a Holiday week.I would take his temp then send home he should have been fever free unmedicated for a full 24 hours.May already be to late he has most likely already spread it.
CountryRoads 07:04 AM 11-26-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I would be worried about HFM.

It is nasty. It took out my whole daycare about a year ago. I sent home a sibling set for fevers and they developed the sores the next day. Every single child got it, including my own. It was horrible, and right before the holidays I had to close for a week.

I called my pediatrician, and she said they could return to care once the fever has gone away. But, my child had it bad and I wanted to be there for just him. And I didn't want a house full of infected kids

I would definitely keep a close eye on him. I also knew it was going around my town, so if you've heard of any cases, I would send home.
I also want to add that the sibling set did not have sores when I sent home and they did not come back the rest of the week.

They infected every other kid before the sores even appeared. It is so contagious.
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 11-26-2019
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
So I’ve got a kiddo (4 yrs) just got dropped off that has sores around his mouth. He missed yesterday with a fever. Mom says he had fever over the weekend but it’s been 24 hours. I’ve never seen hand foot and mouth so I’m not sure what it looks like. He doesn’t have any spots inside his mouth or on his hands/feet. Just kind of crusty, dried up spots around the outside corners of his mouth.
During this cold/flu season I don't allow the kids to return unless they've seen a doctor anytime they are out due to a fever over 101.F

Just had strep go through my daycare and every one of my kiddos missed at least two days of care.

Three of them had a fever, got better and had no fever after 24 hrs but I still insisted they get checked out. All of them tested positive for strep so better safe than sorry in my opinion.
Ms.Kay 07:07 AM 11-26-2019
Id call for immediate pick up...and ask for doctors note for diagnosis. Sounds like HFM...and in a daycare it's like lice!!! I've stopped the spread 2x...by washing every single toy..hand contact surface with a bleach and water solution. Good luck!
littlefriends 07:13 AM 11-26-2019
Thanks guys! I called for pick up and she got here in 20 min but still. I looked it up and oye...looks like he would have already spread it. I’m hoping it’s contained. Cleaning like crazy right now. At pick up she said he had the fever Friday night/Saturday and was fever free all Sunday but kept him Monday just to be safe. Heard all that before
Tags:coxsackie, hfm
Reply Up