Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviews
sahm2three 06:44 PM 05-11-2010
What questions do you generally ask when interviewing a potential new family? I am interviewing one on Friday, and I am leaning towards not taking any more kids (I have 6 regular kids and 6 drop-ins). I also have 3 of my own. So this summer is looking to be busy. This family really needs a provider and has been on a waiting list for a while, so I feel for them, but am not really LOOKING to take any more on. So I want to be good and picky. Thanks so much!
Carole's Daycare 08:29 AM 05-12-2010
Congrats on being so full! Its nice to not NEED to take on a family to pay the bills. When possible, picky is good! I have an interview form I follow along and fill out as we visit, along with a form I give them to write down some basics- like ages, allergies, hours, their references. I have a large area for them to write what they are looking for and expect from a daycare. That paragraph can tell you a lot about whether you are a good fit. I have an "interview book" ( a three ring binder with page protected copies of all our paperwork, info on our curriculum, some old newsletters etc) that I go through with them, noting their reactions to different elements, I especially ask open ended questions as I go through the policies about how they feel about different aspects, such as potty training/what approach they'd like and what they see my role as, or if they are able to take sick time so they aren't bringing sick kids to daycare, do they anticipate being asked to work late- and make clear why I have late fees and that its important we communicate and make sure I can provide the care they need and still meet my other obligations. I ask them about their childs personality, what they love about it, and if there are any areas of concern - development, behavior that we want to communicate about and have a plan to work together on so that we are all on the same page. The contract and policy areas that tend to cause issues I make sure to point out- regarding not bringing toys, picking up or dropping off on time, sick children, how we handle behavioral issues etc. Of course then the nitty gritty- rates/fees and how and when I expect payment-I expect payment in advance on Fridays for the following week- or two weeks at a time if that is their pay schedule and they prefer it. When all is done I let them know I have had or have scheduled other interviews, and when I expect to have made my decision about which family will be the best fit, so I can call them and tell them Yay or Nay AFTER I call their references, previous daycare, read their paragraph, or meet w/ another family I may like better.
[email protected] 10:50 AM 05-12-2010
from your post I made this! Thanks for the help, Ill be using it tonight.

Interview Questions
Childs name_______________________________________________-
Age ___________________
Allergies _________________________________________________________
Hours/days Needed ____________________
References if possible current provider and two others _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________What you are looking for and do you expect from a child care provider?_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________What is or will be your approach to Potty Learning, do you agree with mine? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________How will you handle your child’s illness? Are you able to easily miss work if needed? Do you have an available alternate for childcare if your child is ill? ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Tell me about your child’s personality, what you love about it. Also are there are any areas of concern - development, behavior or other issue that we should talk about and have a plan to work together on so that we are all on the same page. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Is there anything I should know to help me be the best care provider for your child? _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Tags:interview
Reply Up