Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>VA Regulations
Danielle 09:20 AM 03-25-2011
I'm in VA and I'm not licensed. I know I can't have more than 6 not including my own kids and no more than 4 under 2 yrs including my kids. I remember seeing a point system to figure out ratio but I can't seem to find it any more. Can anyone help me?
Danielle 11:59 AM 03-25-2011
Anyone?
Michael 01:31 PM 03-25-2011
https://www.daycare.com/virginia/

A child day care program in Virginia refers to a regularly operating service arrangement for children where, during the absence of a parent or guardian, a person or organization has agreed to assume responsibility for the supervision, protection, and well-being of a child under the age of 13 for less than a twenty-four-hour period. The broadest categories of care are out-of-home ("Center-Based") care and in-home or "Family-Based" care in a private home. Those categories can be further broken down into "licensed", "unlicensed (but regulated)", and "approved". Regulated refers to a facility is regulated by the Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS). Approved refers to a facility that is regulated by an entity other than VDSS. The chart below allows you to explore the types of child care available, how they are regulated and provide you with related forms and applications.

http://www.dss.virginia.gov/family/cc/
Michael 01:38 PM 03-25-2011
Is this the post from MAC60 that you referring to?

I copied this from the Virginia licensing website.

Age Range Ratio For Family Child Care
0 - 15 months (1:4)
16 - 23 months (1:5)
2 - 4 years (1:8)
5 - 9 years (1:16)
10 years and older these children shall not count in determining any ratio
Mixed age group a point system shall be applied to determine the need for an assistant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Family day home care is the most common form of child care in this country, especially for younger children. Parents may choose family child care for its intimate, home-like setting, flexible hours, consistency of care-giver, and small group size.
The Code of Virginia mandates the licensure of family day homes that provide care for six to twelve children (exclusive of the provider's own children and any children who reside in the home). The care may be offered in the home of the provider or in the home of any of the children in care.
During the (less than 24 hour) absence of a parent or guardian, the licensed family day home provider assumes responsibility for the supervision, protection, and well-being of a child under 13 years of age.

Licensing standards, which are proposed by the State Board of Social Services and enforced by the Division of Licensing Programs, ensure that the activities, services, and facilities of the family day home are conducive to the welfare of the children in care.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
As written, it appears to be true that 5 or under no licensce is needed.
Greenshadow 06:55 PM 03-25-2011
There is a point system. Im in Virginia too. Let me find the form. I know I have it saved somewhere.
Greenshadow 07:04 PM 03-25-2011
Here it is. I knew I had it saved somewhere!

22 VAC 40-111-570. Determining need for additional caregiver.
A. The provider shall ensure that a caregiver does not exceed 16 points by using the following point system to determine if an additional caregiver is needed:
1. Children from birth through 15 months of age count as four points each;
2. Children from 16 months through 23 months of age count as three points each;
3. Children from two through four years of age count as two points each;
4. Children from five years through nine years of age count as one point each; and
5. Children who are 10 years of age and older count as zero points.

Interpretation of § 570 A: No caregiver may exceed 16 points at any time children are in care – indoors, outdoors, on field trips, or during transportation.

B. A caregiver's own children and resident children under eight years of age count in point maximums.

Interpretation of § 570 B: A child younger than 8 years of age who is a caregiver’s own child or who resides in the family day home is assigned points and counted in determining the need for an additional caregiver.
A child 8 years of age and older who is a caregiver’s own child or who resides in the family day home is not assigned points or counted in determining th
Danielle 04:10 AM 03-26-2011
Thanks! I had a website bookmarked but it must have been updated and that link was no longer valid. I was afraid they changed the point system. I finally found another link with last year's date. Looks like that part wasn't changed. Page 77 on http://nrckids.org/STATES/VA/va_fam_day_homes.pdf
Tags:virginia
Reply Up