Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Thoughts, Please
melissa ann 01:23 PM 08-24-2012
Okay. I posted about a week or so ago about maybe doing preschool only instead of full day childcare. I've been posted everywhere, paper, cl, fb, business card, flyers etc. Well, today I got a reply from someone off of my cl ad that I had out announcing an open house. Does anyone agree with this email?
)
** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

JUST A HEADS UP... THAT CHEST OF DRAWERS DOES NOT LOOK SAFE AT ALL, EVERYTHING APPEARS DIRTY AND YOUR EQUIPMENT LOOKS COMPLETELY OUTDATED. YOU ARE ACTUALLY HAVING AN OPEN HOUSE WITH EVERYTHING LOOKING LIKE THAT? WOW... MAYBE A FRESH COAT OF PAINT AND A NEW CARPET WOULD HELP BUT STILL... I WOULD NOT WANT TO BRING MY CHILD THERE. SORRY

http://reading.craigslist.org/kid/3225619917.html here is the link to my ad w/photos

This message was remailed to you via: bxbbr-3225619917@comm.craigslist.org
If this email is a scam or spam please flag it now:
http://www.craigslist.org/flag/20120...4RGXCxnERSW0ow
daycare 01:27 PM 08-24-2012
It's probably another provider hating in you.
Shame on that person that was so rude

Don't take it personal. Your space looks fun safe and inviting

I would just leave it alone and don't let it big you.
DCMama 01:28 PM 08-24-2012
wow either this person sound like a first class hater doesn't she/he? I would just ignore them. But I think I would search the email to see who this person is just for laugh
nanglgrl 02:01 PM 08-24-2012
I'm not trying to be the bad guy here. Please don't be upset.
The equipment does look dated and a fresh coat of paint would do wonders. If the chest of drawers is attached to the wall there should be no problem that a coat of paint couldn't fix. That said it looks like you make an effort to have things for the kids to do, to have it nicely organized and it did not look dirty to me. Also, the poster was rude and if they didn't like your daycare they could of just kept it to themselves, they must not be big on "say nothing unless you have something good to say". The only reason I'm responding is because you asked.
I should add that I'm a picky person. I spend a lot of money on my daycare making it bright and welcoming and buying the best equipment. Daycare is a lucrative business in my town and I make better money than I would teaching. I feel that every year I'm doing more and more to make my daycare the one people use. Daycare is not like this everywhere and may not be like that where you live.
I just looked at a daycare for a woman a town over from mine because she wanted my input on her setup. I wasn't impressed and wouldn't send my kids there but in her town making money is harder and her house is probably a lot nicer than the houses the kids come from.
Again, at least you are trying. I didn't see a TV so you don't sit them in front of that all day, it didn't look dirty, you have things for the kids to do and truthfully kids don't really care about old equipment or paint colors, that's all for the parents. Kids are happy with sticks, mud and cardboard boxes and could care less if you have lockers for them or a walk up changing table.
Ug, I hope I did not upset you or anyone else.
DayCareDynasty 02:14 PM 08-24-2012
Hi Melissa Ann! Wondering if you could spruce up the dresser drawer to make it blend with the child care setting. I suggest this because my husband just took a dresser drawer that look similar to yours and repainted it with his team colors (Raiders) I would suggest primary colors for the dresser, parents love those colors!

You may or may not need to sand the dresser, to remove the old paint after that you prime it with gray primer and buy primary color spray paint. If you are up to it... I think it will add a nice pop of color to the setting.
Sugar Magnolia 04:03 PM 08-24-2012
That was astonishingly rude! So sorry that happened to you. I do think you could use some paint, but it does not look bad. Certainly not bad enough to warrant that awful email.
melissa ann 05:20 PM 08-24-2012
Right now, I don't have the extra money to buy paint to spruce it up. I'll have to see if we have anything around the house.
When I did childcare (4 yrs until this past march) I was always full, families stayed until their kid went to school. When I did have an opening, I always filled it up in 2 weeks. No body seemed to be bother by my things. They just appreciated that there was no tv, we did crafts, and their kids looked forward to coming to my house.

I know some of my things may look dated, but I've had things get broken on purpose or colored on that I can't see spending money on new things for kids to ruin. My one room has crayon marks on it that no matter how many times I tried to paint over it, it still shows through.

BTW, from what I could find out, the email comes from Vermont, I'm in PA.
Crazy8 05:46 PM 08-24-2012
That was a very mean, rude, uncalled for email.

But, because you are asking us for honesty, I will say that it does look dated with the old metal furniture, and the paint chipping, dresser drawers open/crooked, etc. does not give off the best first impression. I totally agree there is more to a wonderful daycare than those things, but when you are giving off a first impression in an ad you want it to be the best it can be.

I have done daycare in my home for 11 years - I know the wear and tear it can have on the home but I think if you are going to post photos of your space they should look inviting and seeing runners on top of the dresser, with a little lamp, cords hanging near the table, etc. are all safety concerns that I would have as a parent looking for childcare.
melissa ann 05:03 AM 08-25-2012
I will remove the lamp on the dresser and runner. And look into sprucing up the dresser. Remember though, that I'm not looking into doing full time childcare. I'm interested in doing preschool for 2 1/2 hrs per day. The dresser holds the curirciulum and art/craft supplies. My house is old, and from floor to ceiling it's 11 ft with no lights on the ceiling. So we have to use floor or table lights. The little metal table and chairs are old. It was given to me when I was 1 yr old. (I'm now 39) but I did repaint that last summer after some of the people here suggested it. I just can't see not using it and buying something new when there is really nothing wrong with it. It's just outdated. Growing up we didn't have a lot of money and unless something was broken we didn't replace it.
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not upset over the comments. I"m just explaining why I have done certain things. I could replace the metal table with a little tykes plastic picnic table type if that would be better.
HaveaHoot 06:07 AM 08-25-2012
Maybe just remove the picture of the desser from your ad. It may look fine in real life or not even be noticed by parents but the ad draws attention to it. The other pictures look fine.
itlw8 06:18 AM 08-25-2012
I think w all should look at our place in pictures you can see more.

no it does not look dirty.. but yes the door frames at kid height looks like they run their hands there it is either worn or has hand prints. now everyone go look I bet we will all find the same thing.

the large shelf could use some staging. It is a focal point in the picture but all I see is boy I hope that is anchored. I would like to see some bins of manipulatives or somthing in their reach.

As a provider I think that pink thing is full of dress up clothes because of the hats and mirror... take it out of the picture it looks like laundry.

I like your table and the old stuff is sturdy. If the crafts are a selling point then show some displayed on the wall

as far as the dresser I agree it looks like it serves no purpose maybe labels like paper, craft supplies and some bright colors.

pictures are funny what looks good in person comes out different in pictures.
melissa ann 01:09 PM 08-25-2012
This is what I came up with now.
Attached: work space.jpg (84.4 KB) bookcase.jpg (67.6 KB) bullentin board.jpg (61.0 KB) computer.jpg (89.5 KB) 
SunnyDay 01:28 PM 08-25-2012
That was a rude e-mail, I wonder why they felt the need to respond?

Because you asked, I do agree that a coat of paint would be a good idea. Your white trim does have dirty fingerprints on it. If you don't have time to paint, I would at least use a "magic eraser" to remove any dirt or marks and get any extra tape off the walls.

A couple of cheerful children's rugs could also help a lot.

I would consider getting rid of all of the tables & chairs. They do look dated and the Little Tykes set looks dirty. There's nothing wrong with circle/play time on the floor.

The $ store should have some containers for your different toys (music, science, etc.) and then you can label the bins for a neater look.

Good luck!!
EchoMom 01:29 PM 08-25-2012
First, the email was very rude. They either wanted to be hurtful, or if they were really trying to give you helpful feedback, it was tactless.

Second, sorry to be mean but you asked for feedback, and I do agree, your CL ad pics don't look appealing to me. However, your new set of pics look 100 times better!!! Good job!!!

However, if you are looking for further feedback, I would say you can keep working on it and do even better I think!

Pic 1. straighten up the papers in the colored bins. I would move the posters down lower on the wall so they are the children's eye level. Personally I have all wooden toys in my daycare and keep it extremely clutter free in my home, but this is personal preference.

Pic 2. This is probably your best photo, it looks bright. However, the hand written oragne construction paper doesn't appeal to me hanging off, and your shelves look empty. If you are able to, you would look better with some colorful cloth bins from Target. To me, it doesn't look in the pics like you have much stuff to offer and it's not presented in an inviting way.

Pic 3 looks nice, but it looks like you colored them all not like it's kids work, and maybe the picture could be lighted better so it's brighter

Pic 4 is a real turnoff for me with the radiator right next to the children's work space. One of the spindles looks crooked. The magazines and knick knacs don't need to be in the pic.

Sorry if this is harsh, I truly don't mean to be hurtful, but helpful. And I totally agree with NanglGrl.
Loveyoustinkyface 01:34 PM 08-25-2012
Do you have FREECYCLE (yahoo group) in your area? You could try to get some paint through Freecycle and any other things you may need for the start-up of your Pre-K class. For a while I used a coffee table as my kiddie work area, the chairs did not match but the kids didn't mind.

As for offering Pre-K, I would recommend using more visuals, (flashcards, posters or painted stencils) on the walls with the alphabet, colors, numbers, and shapes.

If you do have a Freecycle in your area, put a "wanted" post and see what is offered to you! It's all free, you just have to drive to pick it up!
Loveyoustinkyface 01:51 PM 08-25-2012
Oh and I liked the tv-bookcase you had with all the puzzles and books too!
itlw8 04:27 PM 08-25-2012
I like it better I do agree I like the bulliten board but not the papers... even if you make it make a collage maybe a paper plate with pictures of food cut out and glued to it. got paint? post a few painted pictures maybe one in red with the word red above it.

This does look more like a preschool space now.

let me say the stuff you have in the other pictures will work in your space but it was just not showing well in pictures. good luck on your open house.
Sugar Magnolia 04:30 PM 08-25-2012
The new pics are much better :-)
melissa ann 05:54 PM 08-25-2012
Okay. For the bulletin board, the papers that are on there came with the curriculum. The curriculum had them listed as bulletin board posters/flyers so parents can see what we will be working on for the month.

I do have flash cards and posters with the alphabets, numbers, colors and shapes. They are just not in the pictures.

I forgot to do the woodwork trim. I will work on that tomorrow.

I had the smaller tables for kids to do puzzles. I thought it would be easier than on the floor.

I have building blocks but maybe they don't show up in the pictures.

I will continue to work on it.

I had more stuff out when I did full time childcare, but didn't think I needed everything out for about 2 1/2 hr of preschool activity.
countrymom 06:39 PM 08-25-2012
you know what, the email acually helped you out, because if she didn't post to you then you would have never known what was wrong or why you weren't getting kids.

I have to agree with the email. I like the green color you had on the wall, it seems refreshing. I would repaint to freshen up the room and you need to fix the corners, I noticed them right away. The white curtain will look nice with the green walls (I love green)

first, get rid of the black hanging thing, thats an eye sore.
buy baskets from the dollar store, all my music stuff is in a basket
get rid of your orange label
walmart has small book cases for about 15 or 20 dollars, I would buy them. Buy several of them and place them along the walls so it looks uniformed.
can you find carpet squares so the kids can sit on, that would be neat too.

I just did a major overhaul but I did it little by little (ok, I had to strip it down to the studs) but if you put some money into it, your return will be great.
nanglgrl 07:13 PM 08-25-2012
The room looks a lot better! I agree with the poster who said to check your local free cycle group, you could probably get paint, shelving, etc. on there. I think some of the problems with the photos can be attributed to lighting, you said before that you have no overhead lights so unless the sun is shining in photos are going to look a little gloomy. Do you know if you have hard wood under the carpet? You might find it brightens the space and it would be much easier to clean up craft messes. If you do but it's in bad shape a solution might be to sand it a little, brush a colored wood stain or colored paint on and then wipe it with a rag or sponge, to finish it off cover it with polyurethane. As far as the little tikes table, I've found that scrub and bubbles does wonders on those things and makes them look like new. Your table with four chairs could easily be revamped with some spray paint and colorful shower curtains (easy to clean). First remove the cushions and spray the set a primary color and cut the shower curtains into squares a little larger than the seats and stapling them so they are covered, next I would tape off the table and spray the brown outside edge a primary color. You should be able to make that table look top notch for less than $20.00!
Crystal 08:20 PM 08-25-2012
I love your little mettal table! I would give it a fresh coat of paint, find a nice piec of fabric for a table cloth. If you have a play kitchen I would put it in the same space because that table is totally cute of tea parties, etc. I get that you are going for a preschool program, but the BEST preschool programs incorporate play (especially dramatic play) as part of the preschool experience.

I would move the chairs away from the activity tables you have. The children can stand to use the table activites, can move items to the floor, or if you line the chairs against a wall somewhere, they can move the chairs to where they need them.

The lamp....I would use staple gun to tack the cord up against the wall and the baseboard and then would find a canvas art print or the like to hang over the cord.

I would get rid of the labels....the kids can see what is available....they don't need a label! Try to get a bunch of wicker baskets (search free listings on CL) to put materials in. In fact, you can find many things on CL for free that can be used in your space if you get creative.

If you have any throw rugs laying around the house I would place them around the room....maybe add a basket of books by one, as well as pillow. A basket of puzzles or small blocks by another, etc.

Go outside and collect natural materials for your science area....FREE......driftwood, pine cones, rocks/stones, etc. If you have some tree stumps (orcan find some free on CL) you can use them as small tables and stools in your science space.

I would use one of those shelves for nothing but freely accessible writing materials. Recycle containers (for free) to use for pens/pencils/crayons/markers/paper, etc.

I will try to come up with mor eideas for you
Country Kids 06:27 AM 08-26-2012
Is this also in your livingroom? I thought in one of the pictures I saw a couch but maybe not.

If it is you might have a hard time with trying to do a preschool only program. Most people (I found this when I did it) are looking for a dedicated space for that. They want a place a child can do "school" more. With childcare they aren't as picky if its in a livingroom and there are toys down.
melissa ann 08:30 AM 08-26-2012
The area that I have is separate from my living area. Our house is set up into 3 apts. We live in 1/2 the house and my childcare/preschool space is in the 1st floor apt. There is a couch there because we have an extra couch (actually a sofabed) and have no where else to go with it.
Reply Up