Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Seen Any Craiglist PICS That Have Made You Cringe Lately?
cheerfuldom 11:09 AM 09-09-2013
Today I was looking thru some ads and found one that made me cringe. I know who the provider is although I would not consider her a friend. I have been a bit alarmed at her comments regarding some the families she works with.....LOTS of complaining and you can tell she hates doing daycare. I also had one of her former families switch to my daycare and another family that recently switched to another daycare in town so she has lots of turnover constantly.

anyway, her new ad says she takes four kids, babies and toddlers only. the pics of her set up show at least 8 pieces of baby equipment...swings, bouncers, jumpers, exersaucers and that is just what I can see. There is very very little open floor space and very few toys. I think she just moves babies from equipment to equipment and that just makes me sad for those kids there. Her set up alarms me because it doesnt appear there is anything for the kids to do besides sit in a piece of equipment and just from what i know about her, it wouldnt surprise me if that is all she is doing with the kids and that is why she doesnt take anyone after they turn 2 (and dont fit in all that stuff anymore)

right now I have three kids under 2 and I dont have any swings, bouncers, exersaucers or jumpers. I have a pack n play for each to nap in and high chairs for meals only. no other equipment necessary.
butterfly 11:15 AM 09-09-2013
When I was a young naive parent, I asked my provider to use those types of things for my baby. I was more concerned about the baby getting trampled on the floor for tummy time, etc. I thought they would be safer in equipment. - yeah, not my brightest moments, I know; but maybe her clients are looking for this environment for their babies too?
Lyss 11:21 AM 09-09-2013
I've seen a few that make me cringe!

There's one in particular that is the opposite of the one you described, she has mounds and mounds of disorganised toys. There's literally one small path through the sea of toys for kids to navigate.

And the "selfie" pictures drive me crazy! It's not facebook people! Its your advertisement for your business!
blandino 11:30 AM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Today I was looking thru some ads and found one that made me cringe. I know who the provider is although I would not consider her a friend. I have been a bit alarmed at her comments regarding some the families she works with.....LOTS of complaining and you can tell she hates doing daycare. I also had one of her former families switch to my daycare and another family that recently switched to another daycare in town so she has lots of turnover constantly.

anyway, her new ad says she takes four kids, babies and toddlers only. the pics of her set up show at least 8 pieces of baby equipment...swings, bouncers, jumpers, exersaucers and that is just what I can see. There is very very little open floor space and very few toys. I think she just moves babies from equipment to equipment and that just makes me sad for those kids there. Her set up alarms me because it doesnt appear there is anything for the kids to do besides sit in a piece of equipment and just from what i know about her, it wouldnt surprise me if that is all she is doing with the kids and that is why she doesnt take anyone after they turn 2 (and dont fit in all that stuff anymore)

right now I have three kids under 2 and I dont have any swings, bouncers, exersaucers or jumpers. I have a pack n play for each to nap in and high chairs for meals only. no other equipment necessary.
Okay, so I am somewhere in the middle. In our infant room we have 3 bumbos, two swings, and two exersaucers. We also have a ton of floor space, and spend a lot of time on boppies/tummy time/ floor time. However we do have a 3mo, 5mo, 7mo, 14mo, & 15 mo. Using the space, so that is the reason for That amount of equipment.

I hope we don't look like that from the outside.
butterfly 11:58 AM 09-09-2013
Your post got me looking at craiglist ads. Just found one that showed many pictures - one of the pictures is her assumed DD sitting on the kitchen counter stirring a boiling pot of something on the stove. She had another picture with her huge inflatable pool in the background of a photo of a toddler riding a foot powered bike. (She claimed to be state licensed and having a pool without a fence is not allowed - or it must be emptied every single day) Her other picture showed a couple dirty children eating fruit loops next to uncovered outlets. She also claimed to be on the food program. - I didn't see components claimable on the food program.

Kinda scary what our "competition" is doing, isn't it!?!
cheerfuldom 12:17 PM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
Okay, so I am somewhere in the middle. In our infant room we have 3 bumbos, two swings, and two exersaucers. We also have a ton of floor space, and spend a lot of time on boppies/tummy time/ floor time. However we do have a 3mo, 5mo, 7mo, 14mo, & 15 mo. Using the space, so that is the reason for That amount of equipment.

I wouldnt think its the same thing at all because like you said, you have more floor space and less equipment AND more babies! this picture was literally baby equipment from wall to wall, there wasnt a clear walkway although she must have some system to be able to get into that room LOL
Crazy8 12:36 PM 09-09-2013
well I have a few pieces of equipment and I only take one infant so maybe I look like that too, but I need to put the baby down sometimes and like to have more than one option on that.

No pics on any ads but I just looked up daycare in my area and there was an ad that said "looking for cheap daycare" so I had to open it. She wants daycare for 3 kids for $20/day (total). Going rate in our area is $40+ day for EACH child. Wonder if she got any takers on that one??
SilverSabre25 12:53 PM 09-09-2013
there's one I see from time to time--bright, primary colored walls and floors with bright posters of cartoon characters all over the walls, toys with nothign but characters from wall to wall....that one ad just makes me feel ADHD just looking at it.

Ads with visibly more kids than is allowed in our state

oh, and the photos with the provider looking sexy, or dressed for a night out, or not smiling, etc...those confuse me too.
Unregistered 01:04 PM 09-09-2013
There are some crazy people out there! I'm in the middle on this one. I have 1 exersaucer and 2 space saving high chairs. High chairs are only used at meal times. I believe babies should be on the floor moving and playing! Not stuck in one place all day! I use the exersaucer for one purpose, using the restroom! While my house is completely baby proofed! Accidents do happen, like an older child running into the baby. I don't think disorganized toys means they are a bad provider. We have so many toys! I used to keep them organized, toy food goes in this bucket, doll clothes in this bucket exc. I felt like I spent more time putting the toys back in the right place than playing with the kids! Now when it's time to clean up we just put toys away in the toy boxes, buckets, cubbies exc exc.
Unregistered 01:27 PM 09-09-2013
I was curious so I looked! There were a few pictures that were horrible! First picture, a rabbit cage on the floor with hay all over the floor and the cage covered in poo. Next picture a toaster oven on the FLOOR plugged in with young children around. Another picture of a piano in the middle of the room with a ton of cords exposed! Aaahhhh! This is why I don't usually look at the child are section!
Lavender 01:32 PM 09-09-2013
My room is infants starting when they get around a little. I have a jumperoo in my room. I primarily use it to contain a little boy with a biting problem whenever I am unable to shadow him because I'm doing diapers or the like. The young infant room at my center is full of equipment and the lead teacher loves to use them. I rarely see kids on the floor and many of the kids become swing addicted.
Laurel 06:48 PM 09-09-2013

Same here. Well I have all kinds of equipment but it is in the garage. I just bring out what I need which right now is only one exersaucer (as I only have one who can't walk right now). I use swings also. I don't know why equipment is so bad. I guess it is the new thinking.

Like you, I don't overuse it. Mostly my baby is on the floor but sometimes I like a break from not having to chase after him. It is also nice when you want to do something with the older ones without the baby trying to eat their puzzle piece or something.

When I put an ad on Craigslist, I don't put any pictures. I wouldn't even know how.

Laurel
cheerfuldom 06:57 PM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Same here. Well I have all kinds of equipment but it is in the garage. I just bring out what I need which right now is only one exersaucer (as I only have one who can't walk right now). I use swings also. I don't know why equipment is so bad. I guess it is the new thinking.

Like you, I don't overuse it. Mostly my baby is on the floor but sometimes I like a break from not having to chase after him. It is also nice when you want to do something with the older ones without the baby trying to eat their puzzle piece or something.

When I put an ad on Craigslist, I don't put any pictures. I wouldn't even know how.

Laurel
I didnt mean to imply that all equipment is bad. I dont think that at all. but when she says in the ad that she only takes 4 kids but has 8 pieces of equipment in the pictures and no open floor space, wouldnt you agree that the picture alone is a bit of a red flag for parents? and that number does not include high chairs for meals, another time when kids are put in equipment. plus combine that with what I already know about her (that she complains about the parents and kids A LOT....in fact I have never heard her say anything positive about daycare, she is my neighbor for clarification), that all combined is what made me cringe when I finally saw pics of the indoor daycare space.
AcornMama 07:39 PM 09-09-2013
I just saw a pic of an "in home family oriented childcare facility" with 11 kids on the floor all around a bucket of candy putting candy in their mouths. Where I am, 11 would be well beyond the max, unless it's a "center in a residence" and obviously I don't know the details about this one. But really, a picture of kids stuffing their faces with candy was the best idea they had?
Hunni Bee 07:55 PM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
there's one I see from time to time--bright, primary colored walls and floors with bright posters of cartoon characters all over the walls, toys with nothign but characters from wall to wall....that one ad just makes me feel ADHD just looking at it.

oh, and the photos with the provider looking sexy, or dressed for a night out, or not smiling, etc...those confuse me too.
I.hate.characters. And primary colors. At my old job, the director would just buy whatever paint was on clearance...we had one room that was painted: lavender, forest green, burgundy, orange, dark yellow and red. It was so ugly it made you want to puke.

People have no clue.
blandino 08:10 PM 09-09-2013
Today, I saw a CL ad with a child, thinking it is the providers own, standing in the middle of the room in a saggy diaper staring at the TV.

Also, I HATE anything with characters. In the entirety of the daycare we have maybe 5 character items. One Woody from Toy Story, one Sesame Street toy, one Grover stuffed animal, and some balls & board books with characters on them.
JoseyJo 08:12 PM 09-09-2013
We have a few character posters (in primary colors!). I have noticed that the parents will point out a character to their child during the interview as a way to help them feel more at "home".

We have tan walls, cream trim, and very very few electronic toys so I don't mind a little primary as accessories
cheerfuldom 08:39 PM 09-09-2013
Today, I saw a CL ad with a child, thinking it is the providers own, standing in the middle of the room in a saggy diaper staring at the TV.

Also, I HATE anything with characters. In the entirety of the daycare we have maybe 5 character items. One Woody from Toy Story, one Sesame Street toy, one Grover stuffed animal, and some balls & board books with characters on them.
The diaper comment made me laugh but its really not funny. I am just now remembering a horrendous ad I used to see that was one large room with a giant sectional couch and a GIANT TV. The TV took up the whole wall, floor to ceiling. I wonder how they even got that TV in that room. The space had dingy floors and walls and NO toys or other evidence of children being there. Nothing in the picture but a couch and TV.

I have seen several with pics of kids partially undressed, totally inappropriate. Kids with dirty faces, eating junk food or candy, cords evident in the background, doing something age inappropriate (like a tiny baby parked in front of a computer screen). I have seen a few bad pics on licensed daycare facilities too and you wonder how these people stay in business.
cheerfuldom 08:52 PM 09-09-2013
Okay, I went thru CL ads and here are a few gems from various ads just from the last few days.

*selfies (how is that professional?)
*kids eating Taco Bell
*toddler child in a diaper, playing in a small pool, right next to a BBQ grill
*lots of pictures of kids faces and I doubt every parent has signed a media release. some of the pictures were in public places and clearly showing kids that were not a part of the group....doesnt seem very professional to me.
*pics of babies in a swing and it doesnt appear they are strapped in and no tray over the top of them either.
*picture of a sign that says READ....and the sign is not next to any books but next to a TV, that was one that made me laugh
*another picture of a partially undressed child
*bedroom playroom with no furniture or organization, just toys thrown in on the floor
*a picture of a swingset and a child has climbed up high on the side....too high and on the portion of the set that is clearly not meant to be climbed on.
*a picture of three little boys, all shirtless for some reason

I will say that I saw several really tidy, organized daycares with lots of natural light and appropriate play spaces so it wasn't all bad.
MyAngels 09:18 PM 09-09-2013
This thread made me curious so I looked up ads near me. Very few here seem to use CL, but it pulled up ads "nearby.". The funniest one was the ad calling out the daycare ads in their area for their grammar, punctuation and spelling errors. It was rife with those same errors . Pot, meet kettle.....
MamaBear 09:36 PM 09-09-2013
Wow Cheerfuldom... I feel like I know the same person you are talking about! hahaha... There is a daycare near me that does the exact same thing! She has 3 daycare babies - which she only cares for infants & toddlers I guess. She dedicates a very small area of her home to her daycare... It's just a dining room and thats it... probably 12x12 room.

She has 3 highchairs, 3 playpens, 3 swings, 3 rocker chairs & little tables in the middle of the room... all lined up and literally NO place for an infant or toddler to even try to crawl or walk around. She has a VERY high turn around and I actually have 2 of her ex-daycare babies. I see the pics on CL and I totally think its a red flag to see all that equipment in a cramped space.

Both daycare families that left her had the same complaints. She straight out tells the families that she uses a "rotation method". I've never heard of this. But basically she says she rotates them from high chair to swing to playpen to rocker chair and back to highchair again & so on. She doesn't believe in holding the babies and they must learn to console themselves and be independent at all times. Both babies I got from her daycare were supposably criers all day... wouldn't take bottles properly and just awful according to the other daycare lady... They are awesome and never cry for me and take their bottles... No problems at all!

She obviously is just in it for the money. If someone doesnt even want to hold a baby ever... they are just in the wrong profession. Makes me ill to think about. She brags about how clean & organized her home daycare is in her ads but its because her babies aren't allowed to leave their designated spaces! UGH!
Hunni Bee 11:32 PM 09-09-2013
You guys forced me to go look at my area's....

But it was surprisingly tame. A majority of them didn't have pics, but most of the ones that did looked pretty decent. They had nice materials and the pics that showed kids showed them doing something constructive.

A few had only pics of what you could tell were the persons own kids and rooms/toys, and one just showed pics of the kids sitting around on park benches looking blank. One flake just had selfies of her with her husband/boyfriend and friends .

It sooo many though...makes me a bit nervous. I've got to get started soon...
nanglgrl 12:43 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

At first I thought you might be talking about me, I have so many colors on my basement walls the kids call it the rainbow room. Lol. Thankfully I have no character pictures but we do have a lot of learning posters!
Our basement only has 1 window (the others are in the laundry room and bathroom down there) so the primary colors make it cheerful and bright.
Nebula 01:13 AM 09-10-2013
Ours are horrible, I have gotten lots of calls on my ad- saying it was the gem that stood out from the riff raff lol.

About colors: We use primaries for the moment, but I am in the process (it is an expensive process!) of transitioning to all natural wood seating etc, but since we are just getting started- I have to take what I can find cheap, so we have lots of primary colors right now.

But we don't do the character thing, other than some safari animals on the wall/ Here is a pic of our main area

And on the other side of the room, Blocks & Trains

Laurel 04:10 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I didnt mean to imply that all equipment is bad. I dont think that at all. but when she says in the ad that she only takes 4 kids but has 8 pieces of equipment in the pictures and no open floor space, wouldnt you agree that the picture alone is a bit of a red flag for parents? and that number does not include high chairs for meals, another time when kids are put in equipment. plus combine that with what I already know about her (that she complains about the parents and kids A LOT....in fact I have never heard her say anything positive about daycare, she is my neighbor for clarification), that all combined is what made me cringe when I finally saw pics of the indoor daycare space.
Oh I understand. I know a provider that I think uses equipment way too much. So I get it.

Laurel
cheerfuldom 05:31 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
Wow Cheerfuldom... I feel like I know the same person you are talking about! hahaha... There is a daycare near me that does the exact same thing! She has 3 daycare babies - which she only cares for infants & toddlers I guess. She dedicates a very small area of her home to her daycare... It's just a dining room and thats it... probably 12x12 room.

She has 3 highchairs, 3 playpens, 3 swings, 3 rocker chairs & little tables in the middle of the room... all lined up and literally NO place for an infant or toddler to even try to crawl or walk around. She has a VERY high turn around and I actually have 2 of her ex-daycare babies. I see the pics on CL and I totally think its a red flag to see all that equipment in a cramped space.

Both daycare families that left her had the same complaints. She straight out tells the families that she uses a "rotation method". I've never heard of this. But basically she says she rotates them from high chair to swing to playpen to rocker chair and back to highchair again & so on. She doesn't believe in holding the babies and they must learn to console themselves and be independent at all times. Both babies I got from her daycare were supposably criers all day... wouldn't take bottles properly and just awful according to the other daycare lady... They are awesome and never cry for me and take their bottles... No problems at all!

She obviously is just in it for the money. If someone doesnt even want to hold a baby ever... they are just in the wrong profession. Makes me ill to think about. She brags about how clean & organized her home daycare is in her ads but its because her babies aren't allowed to leave their designated spaces! UGH!
same deal. I had a daycare family switch to me and the baby was supposedly a cryer but she did great with me for months.
originalkat 05:38 AM 09-10-2013
This thread is cracking me up!!! I think it is hilarious...and sad what some people put on Craigs List ads.
countrymom 06:07 AM 09-10-2013
september must be a slow month because there wasnt alot of pics. But I hate those who take selfies, esp. the boobie ones. Also, I've seen some rooms that are so over cluttered that I'm not even sure how kids play. Or how dirty some rooms are. The dust on the stuff (black dust) or white walls with hand prints all over the place.
Emsdayhome 06:34 AM 09-10-2013
yikes some of those ads sound interesting. I don't have baby equipment either other than highchairs and ONE pack'n'play which I use when I need to , but rarely. My youngest dck is 9mos. We play! I don't even have a couch in my daycare space, I have one antique rocking chair for me to sit on. The rest of the time, I am down on the floor, at their level playing with them, reading to them, showing them how to play trains at the train table, etc. Sometimes I'm on my belly showing them how to look into the baby mirrors.
Crazy8 07:46 AM 09-10-2013
I also only dedicate one room of my house to the daycare.

I did come across a pic yesterday of a baby sleeping on top of a baby comforter with a blanket over them and stuffed animals all around them. That was cringe worthy to me.
Emsdayhome 08:20 AM 09-10-2013
I only have one room dedicated to daycare as well, other than my kitchen table for eating. Everything else happens in my loft daycare space on my 2nd floor. I would love to do EVERYTHING in one room, including eat but it's carpet up here and they'd make a mess! So anything messy including arts/crafts, eating or water play ( I have an Aquaplay track for boats and stuff) we do at the kitchen table, on the ceramic floor.
Emsdayhome 08:33 AM 09-10-2013
how about this one.... http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-services-...AdIdZ522204837
countrymom 09:06 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Emsdayhome:
how about this one.... http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-services-...AdIdZ522204837
how is she certified in home daycare????
melilley 10:22 AM 09-10-2013
There is a group daycare home by me (here it is 12 children) and she has pictures on her CL ad and the house looks so cluttered! Then in one pic there is a child who looks happy and is smiling, but behind him it looks like there is a trail of puke on the floor.

Another one shows a pic of the provider with 9 kids and she is a family (6) daycare. Unless she is on a field trip and there are other parents there or she has assistants, she is way out of ratio. Well you don't have to count your own over 7 years of age, but there are only 2 that look 7 or older.

I have an ad up right now and I do have one pic of half clothed children, but they are playing in a sprinkler and water table and you can't see any of their faces, they are all looking down at or away from the table. I don't agree with putting pictures where you can see their faces either even though I have the parents sign a permission to photograph paper.

Most of the rest of the ads look fine. I do however cringe everyday at the amount of unlicensed people who advertise for daycare-you have to be licensed here. But that's another subject!
Patches 10:26 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by originalkat:
This thread is cracking me up!!! I think it is hilarious...and sad what some people put on Craigs List ads.
I think it's even more sad that people actually take their kids to some of these places
Patches 10:34 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I also only dedicate one room of my house to the daycare.

I did come across a pic yesterday of a baby sleeping on top of a baby comforter with a blanket over them and stuffed animals all around them. That was cringe worthy to me.
I don't think anyone is saying that you have to dedicate more than one room to daycare. Just that it's not ok to have a space COMPLETELY filled with equipment where there is no room to play.
I only use one room, also. I'm about to add another room but don't have to.
Heidi 11:33 AM 09-10-2013
well, the ones here were all quite good.

One thing I did come across, though, was PIC #8 on this one:
http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/kid/4037983784.html

This wonderful science area and sensory bins on the floor in front...

On my screen, the picture is fairly small, and the sensory bins look like (dirty) cat litter bins.

I couldn't help myself (goodie two-shoes); I sent her a message. I am SURE this is not cat litter; but it looks like it is.
Heidi 11:46 AM 09-10-2013
This one is willing to tell the whole world she's evading income taxes:

http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/kid/4016905460.html
melilley 11:51 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:

On my screen, the picture is fairly small, and the sensory bins look like (dirty) cat litter bins.

I couldn't help myself (goodie two-shoes); I sent her a message. I am SURE this is not cat litter; but it looks like it is.
Funny, but not-if it was cat poo! I think it may just be sea shells in sand.? Maybe.
lovemylife 11:56 AM 09-10-2013
This one is willing to tell the whole world she's evading income taxes:

http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/kid/4016905460.html

Wow! Illegal and wrong! All a parent (or someone on the site) has to do is report her and she's in deep water!
melilley 12:03 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
Wow! Illegal and wrong! All a parent (or someone on the site) has to do is report her and she's in deep water!
Yeah, if anybody were to actually investigate! Here, nothing would probably happen to that provider. There are so many illegal daycare's not only in my area, but in the whole state. There are simply not enough funds for our state to investigate everyone!
Mom2TLE 12:07 PM 09-10-2013

Her pictures make me want to find a storage room for half of her stuff, it overwhelms me just looking at the pictures. She just has too much stuff out
Starburst 02:30 PM 09-10-2013

I been trying to buy some reading books and preschool activity books at Target, Goodwill, and the $1 store while trying to avoid too many commercial characters (its too distracting for young children, especially as a learning material- I am a more lenient on reading books) most of the preschool things at the $1 store are Disney (i.e. Mickey Mouse); but I plan on just copying them on to my computer and editing the characters out. I will admit with some things I am a sucker for character items (like Winnie the Pooh [especially vintage], but mostly books/videos). I have a stuffed Tweety, Pikachu, Eeyore, and Winnie the Pooh (dressed like Paddington Bear)- but I had those since I was a kid (excluding the Eeyore, it was a gift from my cousin 2 Christmases ago).

Back to the original topic, I haven't seen much but I just checked CL and I never seen this before but I guess someone near my area (a county over) is opening a home daycare and is publically asking people to donate toys ("Montessori and Waldorf type toys"- specifically), sand/water tables, furniture, art supplies, play kitchens, riding toys, nap mats, and other daycare equipment in the child care section. I am NOT saying there is anything wrong with that in general (not trying to offend anyone), but on craigslist people are usually trying to sell things like that (if they are in good enough condition) and chances are if anyone is willing to donate these items (especially Waldorf and Montessori type toys) for free they most likely are seriously worn out, need lots of fixing up, or in bad condition (against state licensing regs). I know it doesn't hurt to ask, but I would be surprised if she got more than a few (if any) donations for strangers (especially around here).

ETA: Just saw another one in the child care section, someone trying to sell a hookah pipe (it's supposed to be used for tobacco but people in the city they have it in use it for 'other smoking purposes') in the ad it says "it hits really good i just can't have it at my home with our daycare business". I'm not saying anything bad about them for just having it because for all I know they do use it for intended purposes but if I were them and added that to my ad I would hope that a daycare parent or potential client didn't find that and link it to them (they had their phone number), that could look really bad- especially if dc parents don't know they smoke (cigarettes).
Starburst 03:22 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
september must be a slow month because there wasnt alot of pics. But I hate those who take selfies, esp. the boobie ones. Also, I've seen some rooms that are so over cluttered that I'm not even sure how kids play. Or how dirty some rooms are. The dust on the stuff (black dust) or white walls with hand prints all over the place.
If you meant that literally (not figuratively/exaggerating), it could be their attempt at decorating. The FCC I used to work at, she had a white fence in the entry way and had the kids put their hand prints (painted different colors; with their names under it).
Lyss 04:03 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by AcornMama:
I just saw a pic of an "in home family oriented childcare facility" with 11 kids on the floor all around a bucket of candy putting candy in their mouths. Where I am, 11 would be well beyond the max, unless it's a "center in a residence" and obviously I don't know the details about this one. But really, a picture of kids stuffing their faces with candy was the best idea they had?
When I saw this I thought wow! that's one thing I haven't seen here at least...

Until today! I ran across one in my area that has 2 kids sitting at table filled with candy (think snickers, kitkat, PB cups, and more!!) & chocolate rings around their mouths... I really hope those are old Halloween photos (no one was dressed up in the photos) but either way I wouldn't use them
Angelsj 04:11 PM 09-10-2013
I ran across one that when she was holding the kids, or the kids were playing in the yard, they were smiling and she seemed nice enough. Had a huge yard, fenced, with NOTHING in it. No toys, no swings, no balls, NOTHING. Just grass.

Inside, a beautiful crib, lovely new PNP and a rocking chair, and what looked like bed for older kids. Again, no toys. Nothing, zip, nada. Weird.

And yes, the spelling errors were rife. Looking for the prefect child care?? sigh
Starburst 04:40 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
When I saw this I thought wow! that's one thing I haven't seen here at least...

Until today! I ran across one in my area that has 2 kids sitting at table filled with candy (think snickers, kitkat, PB cups, and more!!) & chocolate rings around their mouths... I really hope those are old Halloween photos (no one was dressed up in the photos) but either way I wouldn't use them
I think it's because some people think it's cute when kids are posing funny, shoveling food in their mouths, have food on their face/clothes, dirty/messy hair, watching TV (looking like zombies), and naked/shirtless or only in undies/diapers (as some of the other posters mentioned), and the providers probably think it will attract more clients with funny pictures of cute kids but that they don't think to put aside some of their "humor" to look more like a presentable business owner (or they just don't realize it). I am not saying they can't use a little bit of humor when advertising, but common sense (i.e. parent's don't want their kid eating junk food or watching TV all day) would be nice.

Though, as a thought for the pictures of "dirty" kids, (I haven't seen the picture so not sure) but at the co-op preschool I am doing my student teaching at they are very Reggio and nature inspired as well as play based (and faith-based)- they even have a "Mud Kitchen". The kids there do get dirty, but it is in the parent handbook and parents know not to dress their kids in their nicest clothes but I think the parents actually like that about the school (especially because it's a co-op and parental involvement is mandatory). So in their defense, they could have a similar structure/ style/ method of teaching. So, in that aspect, I wouldn't judge a book by its cover.
AcornMama 05:43 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
I really hope those are old Halloween photos (no one was dressed up in the photos) but either way I wouldn't use them
I know! I'm certainly not opposed to chocolate, for myself and my family. but it's totally against regulations for me to give it dcks. Our rules regarding food specifically say that non-nutritious food like chips, cake, candy, and "some cookies" are not allowed except for special occasions. I certainly wouldn't feature that as the one and only picture to represent what I offer as child care.

But you can bet I'll be baking some homemade whole wheat oatmeal raisin cookies to share with my dcks every now and then.
AcornMama 05:52 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I think it's because some people think it's cute when kids are posing funny, shoveling food in their mouths, have food on their face/clothes, dirty/messy hair, watching TV (looking like zombies), and naked/shirtless or only in undies/diapers (as some of the other posters mentioned), and the providers probably think it will attract more clients with funny pictures of cute kids...
I think you're probably right but it's definitely wrong in terms of marketing. Yes, kids get messy. Sometimes they get food on their clothes. Sometimes they wake up from a nap with crazy hair. But that's not what you feature as your prime representation of your child care.

Though, as a thought for the pictures of "dirty" kids, (I haven't seen the picture so not sure) but at the co-op preschool I am doing my student teaching at they are very Reggio and nature inspired as well as play based (and faith-based)- they even have a "Mud Kitchen". The kids there do get dirty, but it is in the parent handbook and parents know not to dress their kids in their nicest clothes but I think the parents actually like that about the school (especially because it's a co-op and parental involvement is mandatory). So in their defense, they could have a similar structure/ style/ method of teaching. So, in that aspect, I wouldn't judge a book by its cover.
I agree with you. Kids should have the freedom to play hard and get dirty. When we got our new play kitchen for the playroom, I moved our old one outside, and put out some old pots and pans with it. It's great! Leaf and moss soup stirred with a stick! But, as a business owner, if I were taking pictures of my dcks to advertise, I'd take them at the beginning of outdoor play, before getting messy. It's okay to put out the best representation of your childcare, not the end of the day, kids-a-mess-but-that's-reality version.

Really, it makes me think that these providers are not planning for business growth, but deciding late at night, hey, I'll put up an ad on Craigslist. I must have a picture of these kids somewhere. And they just use whatever. Maybe I'm being generous thinking of these providers as running a business.

And I'm pretty sure that I've seen some that couldn't possibly be their real dc pics.
AcornMama 06:03 PM 09-10-2013
Another thought...these kinds of CL ads are the reason I'm really debating with myself about whether or not I should advertise on CL. I have three spots I'd like to fill, I'm new, and I've put out the word in just about every other way. I'm kind of looking at CL as a last resort, and I don't know if that's smart or not. I just don't want to be lumped in with everyone else.
Angelsj 07:09 PM 09-10-2013
Another thought...these kinds of CL ads are the reason I'm really debating with myself about whether or not I should advertise on CL. I have three spots I'd like to fill, I'm new, and I've put out the word in just about every other way. I'm kind of looking at CL as a last resort, and I don't know if that's smart or not. I just don't want to be lumped in with everyone else.
I do throw a CL ad out there occasionally, but to be honest, I only ever got ONE call from it. And those folks were weird...
I have 3000 sq ft. It is a BIG house. A full floor is dedicated entirely to daycare, and the nursery and a second bathroom as well as a play space for older kids is upstairs. Basically, over 1600 sq feet is daycare available. Her complaint? She didn't feel her son (two year old) would have enough "room" as the space was too small. Really made me wonder what size house those people have ???
Lyss 07:38 PM 09-10-2013
I think it's because some people think it's cute when kids are posing funny, shoveling food in their mouths, have food on their face/clothes, dirty/messy hair, watching TV (looking like zombies), and naked/shirtless or only in undies/diapers (as some of the other posters mentioned), and the providers probably think it will attract more clients with funny pictures of cute kids but that they don't think to put aside some of their "humor" to look more like a presentable business owner (or they just don't realize it). I am not saying they can't use a little bit of humor when advertising, but common sense (i.e. parent's don't want their kid eating junk food or watching TV all day) would be nice.
The photo I was talking about was more a picture of the table full of candy with a messy kid in the background rather than the messy face even. Crop it out and say they we're baking but don't feature a table of 15+ candy bars in front of each kid IMO. I realize people think it's cute when kids get disheveled with food or crazy hair, heck I have photos of my DD looking those ways to embarrass her later , but I'd never advertise my business that way.

I do have pictures of the DCKs in messy play activities in my portfolio but its not what I lead with in my ads and there are always photos of what they are doing (ie playing in the mud kitchen, puddle jumping...) not just a picture of them a hour later still dirty, which doesn't happen. IMO there are two different types of dirty, dirty from playing and just plain dirty like a lack of cleanliness (food/crusty faces and hands, dirt not being cleaned off kids afterward kind of thing). Most Reggio/nature based programs are defined/labeled/advertised as such so parents expect to see kids getting dirty but most of the ads, as I'm understanding the posts, that people are referencing here are more along the lines of a lack of cleanliness not a Reggio approach.

I wouldn't give it up completely. I've found all my families but one through CL. I will say for every iffy ad I see there are 2-3 better ones, ones I would possibly consider calling if I was looking for DD so there are quality programs to draw parents in (in my area anyway). I will say sometimes you have to wade through strange emails and spam, but you can find families
Unregistered 07:54 PM 09-10-2013
"FREE part time childcare for 1 child in my home in EXCHANGE for transportation to preschool at Altoona Elememtary's p.m session(12:30-3:30) Mon,Tues,Thurs,Fri for 2 children.
I have done childcare for 4 years and have been a nanny for 4 years as well.
I am willing to do -
*Before and after care 7a-school time and after care until 5:15, Mon,Tues,Thurs,Fri.
Or
*Full day wed and 1 before/after care day
Or
*Mon-fri before care from 7a.m
Or
*Mon-fri after care until 5:15

This would be ideal for someone with an Altoona Elementary preschooler or someone with a flexible schedule looking for part time childcare.
I am extremely reliable and am looking for someone else who is as well. We would have a meet and greet and exchange information etc....
Please email if interested!
Thanks!"

Not a picture but found this very interesting!!!
MotherNature 06:18 AM 09-11-2013
Well, right off the bat I found someone who is charging $50 a week. With multiple child discounts, open from 4 am- 6 pm..other hours available! She has 1-4 openings. Also says that she has 20 years experience w/ kids adn a perfect record w/our state. Ugh! My eldest is 20, so I guess I can say I have 20 years too, and I'm not registered and have never had any dealings w/ CPS, so I guess I have a perfect record too? But one third of what I charge? Wow..ridiculous. There were no pics, but I wish there were...
Also found a provider that has 3 under 2 and is looking for a fourth! If I remember correctly, Indiana only allows 2 under 2...
As for pics-
1. a pic supposed to focus on a baby on the floor for tummy time, but I notice the provider sitting on the couch with her cell phone in her hand, looking like she's texting.
2.Baby area apparently=kitchen, as I see 2 babies & 3 baby equipment. Also living room full of plastic bulky toys, and an empty box next to the kids. Just cluttered. She must have an assistant-not licensed, but has 2 first shift openings, one 2nd shift opening, and 1 3rd shift opening. If not, she apparently never sleeps or trades off w/ her spouse/partner.
3.Husband & wife laying on each other in the sand on a beach? Not a sexual pose, but why? That was the best pic they had to show what they looked like and then no others of the space? I do't hate well-done shots of what you look like, but at least show the space or some kids as well..
I suppose that's enough, just on the front page...
melilley 01:14 PM 09-11-2013
This is true, but this is also where you can set yourself apart from the crummy dc's! I put an as on CL when I first opened (and just recently to fill a spot) and that's where I got all of my families from. It took almost 2 months, but I was full within 3 months.
From posts I have seen on here, in some areas people look at CL and in others, people don't.
Starburst 06:38 PM 09-11-2013
I think you're probably right but it's definitely wrong in terms of marketing. Yes, kids get messy. Sometimes they get food on their clothes. Sometimes they wake up from a nap with crazy hair. But that's not what you feature as your prime representation of your child care.

Really, it makes me think that these providers are not planning for business growth, but deciding late at night, hey, I'll put up an ad on Craigslist. I must have a picture of these kids somewhere. And they just use whatever. Maybe I'm being generous thinking of these providers as running a business.
I'm wasn't saying those were smart marketing methods. I just trying to understand what they are probably thinking and how they probably justify it in their minds, even though it pretty much goes against common sense. I wasn't trying to defend them or say that I agree with their unorthodox marketing techniques. I'm kinda weird, I like to try to get into people's minds, look at things for different angles, and cover all my bases as much as possible.
AcornMama 06:53 PM 09-11-2013
I'm wasn't saying those were smart marketing methods. I just trying to understand what they are probably thinking and how they probably justify it in their minds, even though it pretty much goes against common sense. I wasn't trying to defend them or say that I agree with their unorthodox marketing techniques. I'm kinda weird, I like to try to get into people's minds, look at things for different angles, and cover all my bases as much as possible.
I'm sorry, Starburst, I was trying to agree with you. And then I got all wordy and it didn't go well. I understood you were hypothesizing on their thought process. I was just overly commenting on the wrongness of their thought process.
Starburst 06:56 PM 09-11-2013
I'm sorry, Starburst, I was trying to agree with you. And then I got all wordy and it didn't go well. I understood you were hypothesizing on their thought process. I was just overly commenting on the wrongness of their thought process.
I didn't mean it like I was offended, I just know there have been a few instances on here where others misunderstood my way of thinking and talking (or typing?) because sometimes I explain things too much before I get to the point, so I try to be clearer and shorten things up (kinda like I'm doing now ). No harm done.
Tags:craigs list, craigslist oddities
Reply Up