Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD?? More Experience?
Jack Sprat 12:09 PM 09-11-2013
A family interviewed with me about a week ago. It went well overall. Mom said some things that made me scratch my head but I let it go. Last night I received a message from mother saying her provider she has now has decided to go ahead and continue doing daycare. But, when they are looking for care next fall they will call me. She goes on to state that she will feel better when I have more experience doing family daycare.

Not sure what she means..I have been open since May of this year. I have a teaching degree, taught for 4yrs, was a special education para for 2yrs, and a nanny for 8 years. I want to email her back and tell her all this again. DH says to drop it. But, it really bothers me that she finds me somehow lacking I guess. I know there are things I could do different and improve everyone has room to improve. I just am curious as to what she meant.

Would you all ask her? Or let it go?
MamaBear 12:29 PM 09-11-2013
I would just let it go... but I do see how it would irritate you. That would bother me too.

Maybe she was just referencing that you have only been doing daycare since May which is only a few months... so maybe that makes her nervous that your "new" to doing daycare. A lot of families I've found over the years, look for a daycare that is established for a few years so they are more confident they wont close down or whatever it is.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Cat Herder 12:31 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Lil Monkey:
she will feel better when I have more experience doing family daycare.

I have been open since May of this year.

I have a teaching degree
taught for 4yrs
was a special education para for 2yrs
a nanny for 8 years

I just am curious as to what she meant. Would you all ask her? Or let it go?
I'd let it go.

You don't have much experience running a family daycare.

What would you say to someone who ran a family daycare who thought it gave them experience in being a nanny??? or a para?? or a teacher??
melilley 12:35 PM 09-11-2013
That would bother me to no end! But I would probably just let it go, even though I would be thinking about it, probably for days.

I just opened in January and I often wonder if people think that I need more experience. I have my AA, have worked in centers for 14 years, had a center based CDA, and watched kids well before that!

I do understand where she is coming from. We are new and people tend to not want to be the "first" ones.
Jack Sprat 12:50 PM 09-11-2013
I understand in a small very small way where she is coming from. She by no means would be my first or even my 10th kid. I was full this summer. I gave her excellent references etc..It just bugged as to what she meant. She did say during interview that she knew she needed to lower her expectations with family daycare. She is used to a center. I told her by no means did she need to lower them but, change them a bit.

In the long run I do believe I am better off mentally without her,
Blackcat31 12:54 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Lil Monkey:
I understand in a small very small way where she is coming from. She by no means would be my first or even my 10th kid. I was full this summer. I gave her excellent references etc..It just bugged as to what she meant. She did say during interview that she knew she needed to lower her expectations with family daycare. She is used to a center. I told her by no means did she need to lower them but, change them a bit.

In the long run I do believe I am better off mentally without her,
This is probably best as basic trust needs to be both present and reciprocal.

As far as more experience goes..... it may not have been a "nice" thing to say, but trust me....you WILL look back after a few years and know what she meant.

I think it's best to find a client who truly values what you and what you offer now.
Reply Up