Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Agree With This Behavior Chart?
Country Kids 01:03 PM 04-04-2014
Taking some online classes and this one was in behavior management.

Just wondering if you agree with this, involves talking to families about behavior.

DO:

1.Begin the discussion by expressing concern for the child.
2.Let the parent know that your goal is to help the child.
3.Ask the parent if he or she has experienced similar situations and are concerned.
4.Tell the parent that you want to work with the family to help the child develop appropriate behavior and social skills.
5.Tell the parent about what is happening in the classroom, but only after the parent understands that you are concerned about the child, not blaming the family.
6.Offer to work with the parent in the development of a behavior support plan that can be used at home and in the classroom.
7.Emphasize that your focus will be to help the child develop the skills needed to be successful in the classroom. The child needs instruction and support.
8.Stress that if you can work together, you are more likely to be successful in helping the child learn new skills.

Don't:

1.Begin the discussion by indicating that the child’s behavior is not tolerable.
2.Indicate that the child must be punished or “dealt with” by the parent.
3.Ask the parent if something has happened at home to cause the behavior.
4.Indicate that the parent should take action to resolve the problem at home.
5.Initiate the conversation by listing the child’s challenging behavior. Discussions about challenging behavior should be framed as “the child is having a difficult time” rather than losing control.
6.Leave it up to the parent to manage problems at home; develop a plan without inviting family participation.
7.Let the parent believe that the child needs more discipline.
8.Minimize the importance of helping the family understand and implement positive behavior support.
Leigh 01:28 PM 04-04-2014
I agree with this 100% in that this is how these conversations should start. When things continue to escalate, we sometimes need to move on to the "don't" list.
Blackcat31 01:40 PM 04-04-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I agree with this 100% in that this is how these conversations should start. When things continue to escalate, we sometimes need to move on to the "don't" list.

100% agree.
Janiam 01:44 PM 04-04-2014
I agree with the "do" list but would add a few more steps for what will happen when and if the behavior is unmanageable or becomes unsafe for the other children.
debbiedoeszip 03:24 PM 04-04-2014
The only thing I might do differently is to start the conversation by detailing (briefly) a few areas where the child is doing well. Then launch into a discussion of the area where the child is struggling.

Other than that, the chart, or steps, sounds good. I think I might steal it for future use
craftymissbeth 03:26 PM 04-04-2014
I'm stealing it, too, because I just hold everything in until I do all of the "don'ts" at once
MotherNature 08:12 AM 04-05-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I'm stealing it, too, because I just hold everything in until I do all of the "don'ts" at once
me too. Thx for sharing the list!
KiddieCahoots 04:35 PM 04-05-2014
Just took a behavioral management class myself and loved it!
I agree with the list, find it helps dcp's become less defensive.
Tags:behavior chart
Reply Up