Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Couponing Tips to Reduce Food Costs?
LittleScholars 08:56 AM 06-20-2016
I spend an absolute FORTUNE on food for my daycare kids. I offer lots of fresh fruit and veggies, but I don't think I'm unique in doing that. I think I'm a terrible deal-finder and couponer. I just found a groupon for the local Sunday paper so I can clip those coupons, but any tips on other ways to cut costs/increase profits?

Until this point I've been so focused on getting my business up and running that I haven't been super focused on profit; however, it is time to bring in some income now!

Thank you!
Unregistered 09:33 AM 06-20-2016
Probably soon someone will direct you to other threads with this topic.

My contribution is to ask if there is an Aldi's near you? I save about $100 a week that way.
NeedaVaca 09:56 AM 06-20-2016
Here is a thread I posted a while back, hope it helps!

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52976
LittleScholars 10:04 AM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Here is a thread I posted a while back, hope it helps!

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52976
WOWWWWWW. This is amazing. Thank you so much. I cannot wait to get started with this!!!

And I DO have an Aldi near me. It is a bit of a hike, but I'm very open to that if it is worth it!
Snowmom 10:30 AM 06-20-2016
I shop local farmer's co-ops, markets and clubs.
The Fruit Club is one of my favorites. They have monthly pick ups around the mid-west. I buy tons and freeze portions. This week they're bringing cherries... so yummy!
http://thefruitclub.net

We also grow a lot of our own produce during the spring/summer.

I don't have patience to coupon. I wish I did.
Unregistered 11:12 AM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
WOWWWWWW. This is amazing. Thank you so much. I cannot wait to get started with this!!!

And I DO have an Aldi near me. It is a bit of a hike, but I'm very open to that if it is worth it!
I drive 30 minutes to get to Aldi's each week. It is SO worth it. I can't speak for every store, but around us they have many organic choices. I can often get avocados for between $.25- $.39, bananas are usually $.19 lb, huge bag of oranges for $2, etc.
NeedaVaca 11:21 AM 06-20-2016

Thanks! It's a pretty old thread but still relevant. Now most of the coupon match ups include ibotta or checkout 51 or other similar savings type programs. It's another way to save money and they almost always include these in match ups for the biggest savings you can get.
LittleScholars 12:03 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I drive 30 minutes to get to Aldi's each week. It is SO worth it. I can't speak for every store, but around us they have many organic choices. I can often get avocados for between $.25- $.39, bananas are usually $.19 lb, huge bag of oranges for $2, etc.
Really!? I can't believe I'm just learning this. I'm also terrible about planning my menu before looking at ads, so I'll pay $3-4 for an avocado just because I planned it in a recipe. I can't wait to go this weekend! Thank you!
LittleScholars 12:04 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Thanks! It's a pretty old thread but still relevant. Now most of the coupon match ups include ibotta or checkout 51 or other similar savings type programs. It's another way to save money and they almost always include these in match ups for the biggest savings you can get.
This in great. I've always wanted to get good at this, but starting seemed so overwhelming. I feel like I can do this after reading your post!
LittleScholars 12:05 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I shop local farmer's co-ops, markets and clubs.
The Fruit Club is one of my favorites. They have monthly pick ups around the mid-west. I buy tons and freeze portions. This week they're bringing cherries... so yummy!
http://thefruitclub.net

We also grow a lot of our own produce during the spring/summer.

I don't have patience to coupon. I wish I did.
I aspire to be just like you! I promised myself that next year I'll grow produce. I feel like that's such a great hobby and way to save.
Thriftylady 01:01 PM 06-20-2016
I used to be a huge coupon person. I don't so much now, because they no longer double them in my area, and the time factor with all these kiddos! But the thing to remember with coupons is not to use one just because you have it. Usually the real and only savings is if you combine it with a good sale. UNLESS you are brand picky on something and will buy that item anyway.

I also use local farmers, farmers markets, etc and grow a little bit here at daycare.
Snowmom 03:14 PM 06-20-2016
I aspire to be just like you! I promised myself that next year I'll grow produce. I feel like that's such a great hobby and way to save.
Lol. I grew up with farmers, so it's second nature for me.

We've done strawberries, blueberries, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes and a variety of herbs so far this year. Someday I'll get up the nerve to start a pumpkin patch.
KTsKids 03:57 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Aldi's is TOTALLY worth a drive! I drive past 6 other grocery stores to get to Aldi's but it cuts my bill nearly in half, without having to mess with coupons. Mine has especially good deals on produce, milk and cereal. I just got gallons of milk for .99! Just remember to bring bags (you have to bag your own groceries) and make sure you have a quarter for the shopping cart. You get the quarter back when you return the cart.
Thriftylady 04:01 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by KTsKids:
Aldi's is TOTALLY worth a drive! I drive past 6 other grocery stores to get to Aldi's but it cuts my bill nearly in half, without having to mess with coupons. Mine has especially good deals on produce, milk and cereal. I just got gallons of milk for .99! Just remember to bring bags (you have to bag your own groceries) and make sure you have a quarter for the shopping cart. You get the quarter back when you return the cart.
I hate hearing about all your great produce. Our Aldi has crappy produce. I take the ad to Walmart to price match some of it. My son after he started working at the Walmart distribution center told me that at least in our area, Aldi buys all the produce that doesn't match the sweetness and freshness tests that WM does on them.
Unregistered 06:12 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I hate hearing about all your great produce. Our Aldi has crappy produce. I take the ad to Walmart to price match some of it. My son after he started working at the Walmart distribution center told me that at least in our area, Aldi buys all the produce that doesn't match the sweetness and freshness tests that WM does on them.
Opposite problem here. Walmart produce is sooo bad. But both Aldi's and Walmart around here have limited produce. If I want, say, butternut squash, cherries, or something besides your very basic fruits and veggies, I need to go to our bigger, more expensive stores here.
KTsKids 07:35 AM 06-21-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I spoke to an employee at my Aldi's to find out when they get their produce shipment and I always try to shop that afternoon. The Walmart near me has produce that is real hit and miss, and the prices on groceries at my Wal-Mart are outrageous. If I can't get to Aldi's I always go to Kroger. The seem to have the most lenient coupon policies and even without coupons I can usually get pretty good deals there.
KTsKids 07:46 AM 06-21-2016
I know I've kind of strayed of the topic of coupons but do any of you use Sam's of Costco? I'm wondering if you save enough for it to be worth it.
LittleScholars 07:46 AM 06-21-2016
Originally Posted by KTsKids:
I spoke to an employee at my Aldi's to find out when they get their produce shipment and I always try to shop that afternoon. The Walmart near me has produce that is real hit and miss, and the prices on groceries at my Wal-Mart are outrageous. If I can't get to Aldi's I always go to Kroger. The seem to have the most lenient coupon policies and even without coupons I can usually get pretty good deals there.
That's smart! I'll be sure to ask. Walmart produce is SO expensive and awful here, so I usually only go when I need to stock up on non-perishable things. I wish we had a Krogers. We really only have Price Shopper and Shop Rite (boo).

Does anyone use the big boxed stores for savings? I'm a BJs member, but sometimes I really wonder if I'm saving money there.
Thriftylady 07:50 AM 06-21-2016
That's smart! I'll be sure to ask. Walmart produce is SO expensive and awful here, so I usually only go when I need to stock up on non-perishable things. I wish we had a Krogers. We really only have Price Shopper and Shop Rite (boo).

Does anyone use the big boxed stores for savings? I'm a BJs member, but sometimes I really wonder if I'm saving money there.
I have a sam's membership but hate their produce. It is either greener than green, or going south. I am starting to think your produce selection depends on where you live.
Reply Up