Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Two Year Olds Get Separation Anxiety?
SilverSabre25 11:23 PM 07-01-2011
I remember there being a period of separation anxiety around 18-20 months but can't remember if it's normal between 2 and 2.5 too. I'm guessing it is...well, hoping, really.

I have two 2 yo dcks--one boy, one girl. One turned 2 in February, one turned 2 in April. The older one has been getting upset at drop off for several months (cries for several minutes and has a hard time separating from mama); the younger one just started this within the past month or so. One comes 3 days a week; one comes 4 days a week. One is getting a new sibling at the end of August. One is also very sensitive and has a hard time with transitions anyway. Both have been with me for awhile now (one for well over a year; the other since late summer/early fall of last year).

So...normal separation anxiety, or something more? (One dcfamily is seeming very concerned about the crying at drop-off, and I'm really worried I'm going to lose them over this.). If it isn't a normal age for separation anxiety then I'm wondering if I need to change things up for these two, because my other dcks (older, 3 yos) don't get upset at drop-off, and these two haven't had trouble for a long time...until recently.

(Yes, it's 2:30 AM and I'm posting this...I've been lying awake worrying about the family that seems concerned, and am actually emailing dcm as soon as I post this).
Michael 01:29 AM 07-02-2011
I am up usually till 5 am so I can write something. Here are some threads that may help: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ration+anxiety
MyAngels 09:57 AM 07-02-2011
I've had kids of all different ages do this. I've also noticed that at times it "rubs off" on another child that never had the problem before. I try to get it stopped quickly when it starts, but it normally has more to do with the dynamic between the parent and the child, than with the child's relationship with me or the other kids here.
jojosmommy 12:16 PM 07-02-2011
My son is 2 yrs 3 months and still cries occassionally when I leave him with dad or vice versa. He will be fine for weeks and one day the seperation seems to bother him more than others. once last week he cried for over an hour b/c I ddin't wave or honk when I pulled out of the driveway....

Also like the previous poster said I find once one kid has an issue it spreads and others pick up on it.

I would talk to mom about making drop off short and sweet and tell her its normal. Remind her that just like adults kids have moods/personalities and things that didn't bother them before can sometimes become a new issue for a few weeks.
Tags:separation anxiety
Reply Up