Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Tell Parents About "Firsts?"
SunshineMama 02:26 PM 05-07-2012
I just witnessed my 16 month old dcb's first unassisted steps! I witnessed him crawling for the first time too

One of the nicer and more rewarding parts about the job! And a good reminder about how thankful I am that I witnessed my own children's "firsts."

I wonder how long it is going to be before the parents announce to me that we have a walker. It took them 3 days to realize he was crawling. I'm not telling them that he is walking, I think that's something the parents need to see "for the first time."

Do you guys tell firsts?
AfterSchoolMom 02:30 PM 05-07-2012
No way! The most I'll say is "wow, little Johnny is getting so close to walking, isn't he?". As far as I'm concerned, the first time they do it at home is the first time.
sharlan 02:32 PM 05-07-2012
The only "firsts" I tell is when they start to roll over. I fear they won't realize and leave the baby on the sofa or changing table "for just a sec" and the baby roll off.

When it comes to sitting up, crawling, and walking, I let the parents tell me about the first time they did it.
Breezy 02:33 PM 05-07-2012
Only first I tell is rolling since that could be a hazard with the child on the changing table, etc and mom or dad not thinking baby can roll and all of a sudden she is on the floor!

Otherwise, all other firsts are mom and dads to witness.
Breezy 02:34 PM 05-07-2012
LOL! Sharlan, we posted at the same time I think
AnneCordelia 02:38 PM 05-07-2012
"Firsts" don't happen here!
jojosmommy 02:52 PM 05-07-2012
No. But really do people actually believe they would be present for all their child's firsts when they spend so many more hours at daycare compared to at home?!?
DaisyMamma 02:52 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
Agreed!!!!!!
Blackcat31 03:02 PM 05-07-2012
Some parents I tell and others I dont

It depends on their requests. This is a topic discussed in detail during the interview process.

All parents are different. Some have realistic expectations and others choose to "believe" everything happens at home first.

It is completely up to them if I share "firsts" or not.
WDW 03:33 PM 05-07-2012
No way do I tell them. It's hard to miss that stuff. I always ask them if they have done something though, when they're doing it here, so I can say they are getting close or whatever. Like "so and so is so close to walking... I bet he takes off soon" and then they either say he has, or when they see it, they tell me. LOVE that so many of us let parents see all the firsts!
cheerfuldom 03:36 PM 05-07-2012
NEVER....unless it is a rare safety concern like rolling over. I might not say that he actually rolled over (even if he did), I would say that he was trying to and almost made it and they should be prepared for him to do this at home at any moment.
DCP 03:37 PM 05-07-2012
I actually ask my clients what they prefer. Most understand this is most likley going to be the case that I will see it before they do. So once it happens, I try to get them to do it again and I will record it for Mom
I have never (YET) have a Mom tell me not to tell her and they are super grateful for the video of it!! When i let them know..they also keep a closer eye for a few days to witness it themselves
Luna 04:12 PM 05-07-2012
No I couldn't tell them. I did have a boy lose his first tooth here though...I texted both parents and took pictures. There was no hiding that one! It was a little sad, he's their oldest child, first tooth lost
Crazy8 04:13 PM 05-07-2012
I'm in the "firsts don't happen here" camp. No matter how many hours a week a parent has to put their child in daycare I feel they deserve those firsts.
SilverSabre25 04:26 PM 05-07-2012
Yeah firsts don't happen here, either. It's funny how that is...I guess the kids just "save" the firsts for the parents!

I do say things like, "Wow, he is just getting SO CLOSE to crawling! I think he'll take off any day!" and "He spent a lot of time practicing today while cruising...he'll probably take off any day now!"
wdmmom 04:51 PM 05-07-2012
No way! I did once to a family and they got all sorts of upset and I even sensed some anger. From that point on, nothing happens here.

In fact, DCG (8 months) got her first tooth today. I didn't know until DCM texted me.
momofsix 05:44 AM 05-08-2012
I don't tell the parents about any firsts that happen here.
If something exciting happens that is a "planned first" like first finger painting or first school bus ride then I take a ton of pictures for the parents.
Lilbutterflie 06:02 AM 05-08-2012
This is something I discuss during the interview. Even if the parents say they are okay with me telling them about the milestones; I feel them out the first time one comes up! If they seem super happy, I keep filling them in and sending them pics! If the parents take the news with sadness; I will keep them to myself. In the 3 years I've been open; I've only had 3 infants. Out of those 3, 2 of the moms were always super excited when I've told them about the "firsts" & super thankful for the pics and text messages that capture them!

I agree about always telling the parent about rolling over!! It's a necessity to tell the parents about that one for safety purposes! Time to move the crib mattress down, take away the PNP bassinet, and keep a close eye on them!!
daycare123 06:25 AM 05-08-2012
I haven't ever asked any of my parents if they want me to tell them or not. I usually try not to tell them first also. I think with my new dc baby coming soon i will not be telling them his firsts either. I just go with the he/she is getting close also!
bgmeyers 07:58 AM 05-08-2012
The only firsts are in regard to safety, as in rolling over, and in one case I had a child who was delayed in walking and doing PT twice a week to work on it. He had a hip problem.
He loved olives and pickles, so I would coax him by propping him against the couch and offer him a pickle if he would try to get it. He did one day and I showed mom at pick up. She was in tears because he was walking, not because he did it here.
So really only if there is a danger and if there is something I KNOW they want to know about.
SunshineMama 08:05 AM 05-08-2012
So I am at day +1 for the parents not noticing/announcing that he is walking yet. It is hard for me to keep quiet about this exciting event. I'm still not going to mention anything.

I kind of find it sad that he has reached this milestone and the parents are too busy to notice.
MarinaVanessa 08:29 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
Yup, amazing isn't it? First don't happen here either.
dave4him 04:59 PM 05-08-2012
NO! And that goes for my childern too, LOL
Creek 05:29 PM 05-08-2012
Nope, funny enough - Firsts never happen here at daycare!
jenn 08:07 AM 05-09-2012
I never tell about firsts other than rolling over. The other firsts are exciting (sit up, crawl, walk, teeth,...), but rolling creates a safety concern in my opinion.
Tags:first steps, firsts
Reply Up