Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Exclude Kids For Hand Foot And Mouth?
GotKids 05:57 AM 05-08-2012
If so for how long? I know it is contagious and we have already been exposed so now what? I have bleached all hard surfaces but what else can I do to prevent a huge group of sick kids?
temom 06:06 AM 05-08-2012
My son had this in the start of the year, he was given antiboics and i was told o wait 48 hrs before letting the kids back to the DC. i steam mopped the house, lysoled the toys, floors everything pretty much. Thank God no one else got it.
SunshineMama 07:54 AM 05-08-2012
Lysol will not kill HFMD You have to make a bleach and water solution.

I had an outbreak and everyone got it. I told parents children must stay home at least 48 hours, and if there are any open lesions or sores at all they have to stay home until they are not seeping anymore.
daycare123 08:12 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by temom:
My son had this in the start of the year, he was given antiboics and i was told o wait 48 hrs before letting the kids back to the DC. i steam mopped the house, lysoled the toys, floors everything pretty much. Thank God no one else got it.
why did they give your son antibiotics, it's a virus. I would have everyone stay home till all sores have healed. My daughter got the sores in her mouth when she had it. My husband got it and his hands and feet ended up peeling. Weird!!
temom 08:19 AM 05-08-2012
@ daycare 123 i have no idea why they did that, he had sores in his mouth and that was it. i took him the first time they sent him home saying wait it out by the second day the kid couldn't even drink water so i took him back that is when they said he had HFM and gave him antibotics. i found it werid too but he started eating and stuff after the 48 hours and no one else in the house got it.
MarinaVanessa 08:28 AM 05-08-2012
HFMD is EXTREMELY CONTAGEOUS. If the child has the bumps on his body I'd exclude the child until the bumps have scabbed over. If the child has sores in his mouth I'd exclude until those have completely healed especially if the child is a toddler or younger. Little hands and toys get put into little mouths and this could spread HFMD really quickly. It takes about 5 days for the syptoms to show up after being intially infected so you'll have to warn the other parents to keep an eye on it. HFMD is most contageous during these intial 5 days before sumptoms show so be careful good luck. My DS had it last year ... not fun but at least none of the other kids got it.
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 05-08-2012
Here is a great hand out about HFM

http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...AND%20FOOT.pdf
cheerfuldom 08:52 AM 05-08-2012
My friends daughters just had this and they did not give any antibiotics. they kids looked pretty bad a week later but the sores were scabbed so she put them in the church nursery (the kids, not the scabs, ha ha!). I HOPE no one else gets this!!!
temom 08:57 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
My friends daughters just had this and they did not give any antibiotics. they kids looked pretty bad a week later but the sores were scabbed so she put them in the church nursery (the kids, not the scabs, ha ha!). I HOPE no one else gets this!!!
after reading everyone else post, that is not what my son had, scabs?? wow! these were very small sores in his mouth n they would hurt him when he ate, there was no pus or anything like that, i guess the dr at the walk in didn't know what he had, because he did give him antibiotics, sigh! whatever it was i am soo glad its over.

And atleast i got what your are saying thanks
daycare 08:59 AM 05-08-2012
My niece who was a bubble baby got this when she was about 11 months old. She got it so bad that she ended up in the hospital for 4 days.

She mostly got it in her mouth and it was so bad that she could not eat. She lost weight and was dehydrated. My SIL did not follow the cleaning directions by the doctor and they could not rid of it from her pack and play....Well she ended up having it for almost 2 full months. It was the saddest thing that I ever saw.

As mild as HFM may sound, it can be very harmful to newborns and anyone with a compromised immune system.

I have several families with newborn babies and I already sent out a letter to all families letting them know that it is the season fro HFM and that I expect them to keep an eye out for it, just as I will be doing.
Soupyszoo 09:01 AM 05-08-2012
Dcb has this now and he's excluded for two days. Hasn't had a fever since Sunday. I wish I could exclude for two weeks! But I've read he should be fine after 48 hours with no fever. Even if the rash is still present... And the fact the it is in the stool for weeks afterwards really creeps me out! I hope he doesn't poop when he comes back! I hate these diseases!! So far everyone else is fine
wdmmom 09:07 AM 05-08-2012
A previous client got it while gone for a few days and over a weekend. Total time from diagnosis to return was 4 days. She was diagnosed on Thursday, DCM kept her home Friday and I allowed her to return Monday.

I think it's up to each provider but I think 24 to 48 hours is ample time.
daycare123 09:42 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by temom:
after reading everyone else post, that is not what my son had, scabs?? wow! these were very small sores in his mouth n they would hurt him when he ate, there was no pus or anything like that, i guess the dr at the walk in didn't know what he had, because he did give him antibiotics, sigh! whatever it was i am soo glad its over.

And atleast i got what your are saying thanks
I think what she was referring to was that the sores on hands ect...are healed over. Not everyone gets them on their hands and feet. My daughter didn't she had them in her mouth. We actually got a medicine to swab in her mouth to ease the pain so she could eat and drink. My husband got the sores on his hands and feet. My daughter didn't have any pus in her mouth either. Hope that helps.
WDW 10:47 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I had an outbreak and everyone got it. I told parents children must stay home at least 48 hours, and if there are any open lesions or sores at all they have to stay home until they are not seeping anymore.
Me too.
Christian Mother 01:42 PM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by daycare123:
why did they give your son antibiotics, it's a virus. I would have everyone stay home till all sores have healed. My daughter got the sores in her mouth when she had it. My husband got it and his hands and feet ended up peeling. Weird!!
This spread as a wild fire though my daycare even some of the parents got it. My family never got it...? It's a miracle that not one of us got it!

Not one of my dcf's where given antibiotics. Found this interesting.

Each of my families took a week and then was able to return. Even then it took another week for the bumps to go away. They where scabbed over but with 2 and 3 yr olds who always put there fingers in their mouth and toys...ohhh Lord!
Tags:exclusion, hand foot and mouth, illnesses
Reply Up