Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Handle This?
Ariana 12:00 PM 05-09-2012
My 2 yr old DCG cries whenever I ask her to do something. For example today she was sitting close to my DD (who is nearly 3) and wouldn't move despite my DD asking her several times (DCG invades other kids space all.the.time). I then asked her to move 3X and then went and removed her. She began to cry. This happens a couple of times per day. She RARELY listens.

Anyway what I'm having issue with is that MY DD starts to cry whenever she starts crying. She'll tell me "she's crying...go and help her" etc. and get really bent out of shape over it. I try explaining to my DD that the only reason that she's crying is because I'm getting her to do something she doesn't want to do but she doesn't really get it.

Help!
cheerfuldom 12:04 PM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My 2 yr old DCG cries whenever I ask her to do something. For example today she was sitting close to my DD (who is nearly 3) and wouldn't move despite my DD asking her several times (DCG invades other kids space all.the.time). I then asked her to move 3X and then went and removed her. She began to cry. This happens a couple of times per day. She RARELY listens.

Anyway what I'm having issue with is that MY DD starts to cry whenever she starts crying. She'll tell me "she's crying...go and help her" etc. and get really bent out of shape over it. I try explaining to my DD that the only reason that she's crying is because I'm getting her to do something she doesn't want to do but she doesn't really get it.

Help!
Non listeners, drama criers get to sit right next to me or in our cry corner. they can cry all they want but its not going to be right next to the other kids, upsetting everyone. The drama criers just want an audience and I bet this works at home so you have to create a consequence that involves no attention towards her. Right now, your daughter is giving negative attention to her and it is best to separate them.
DCP 12:09 PM 05-09-2012
I agree with Cheerful.., I actually have a "cry corner" LOL

If a child throws a tantrum unnecessarily...they are placed in said corner. I have had one of those..she still did what I wanted of her crying or not as I did not want the others to pick up "I do not have to if I cry"..if she continued the screams after the wanted action..the corner she went I think she liked it there!! LOL

Draining...but you need to decide if she is worth it. Some will get the point over time. How long have you had her? She may just need "daycare setting training" I have some that know and follow my rules..but are relentless at home. But they know there are consequences here and not at home!
cheerfuldom 12:12 PM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by DCP:
I agree with Cheerful.., I actually have a "cry corner" LOL

If a child throws a tantrum unnecessarily...they are placed in said corner. I have had one of those..she still did what I wanted of her crying or not as I did not want the others to pick up "I do not have to if I cry"..if she continued the screams after the wanted action..the corner she went I think she liked it there!! LOL

Draining...but you need to decide if she is worth it. Some will get the point over time. How long have you had her? She may just need "daycare setting training" I have some that know and follow my rules..but are relentless at home. But they know there are consequences here and not at home!
maybe she did like it there a little....some kids really do need the break and daycare can be overstimulating sometimes. A place to chill out and take a deep breath is a good thing. I still have my drama crier and if she starts losing it, I will ask her "do you need sometime to chill out?" meaning the cry corner or timeout next to me and that is all it takes for her to take a deep breath and control herself and move on. I do the same thing for my middle child that is notorious for huge meltdowns over small things. Just one quick reset should do the trick once you get your system in place
Ariana 12:13 PM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Non listeners, drama criers get to sit right next to me or in our cry corner. they can cry all they want but its not going to be right next to the other kids, upsetting everyone. The drama criers just want an audience and I bet this works at home so you have to create a consequence that involves no attention towards her. Right now, your daughter is giving negative attention to her and it is best to separate them.
My daycare is pretty small and this girl is a total screamer. I have no idea where I would put her so my DD didn't see or hear her. Even her pnp is in this room. Today I placed her on a mat near our patio door to cry and then my DD comes to me crying to "help her". Eventhough my DD hates this kid she hates seeing anyone hurt and crying.
Ariana 12:15 PM 05-09-2012
My problem is not with the little girl screaming!! I can totally handle that and ignore. My problem is with my DD being upset....how do I handle that part??
DCP 12:17 PM 05-09-2012
I would just explain to her that some kids just cry and that she is not hurt or anything...how long has this been going on? Usually the others adjust to it and learn to go about their business.
Ariana 12:23 PM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by DCP:
I would just explain to her that some kids just cry and that she is not hurt or anything...how long has this been going on? Usually the others adjust to it and learn to go about their business.
It's been going on for quite a while although DCG has been particularly defiant these past few weeks so a lot more crying in the past 2 weeks I would say.

I'm hoping my DD will toughen up and ignore her soon
DCP 12:35 PM 05-09-2012
for your sake I hope so too!! The DCG crying is bad enough but add another to it..eeek LOL

I have noticed that with my DCK's it is shocking and interrupting at first but then as time goes on..they just do not pay attention to it anymore.
DCMom 12:48 PM 05-09-2012
I have two like that right now; they are sisters, so I think the younger one (15 months) is picking it up from the older one (2.5 years). They are extreme, screeching and crying and throwing themselves on the floor....I call them my 'Daycare Divas'

However, my patience is wearing thin with it. I talked to dcd about it this morning; turns out he is as fed up with it as I am. It sounds like it's even worse at home (I don't know how it could be, lol!) but he is willing to work with me, but mom might be the weak link!

Glad to know I am not the only one struggling with this. I'm going to have to give the Crying Corner/Crib/Spot whatever I come up with!
Reply Up