Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sleeping on the Floor
cara041083 08:38 AM 06-17-2014
I have a dck that is almost 2. Her dad wakes her up at 530 everyday and for no reason but to be doing it I guess. She always falls asleep on the floor around 10sh. If I let her sleep, then she won't sleep at nap time but if I try to keep her up then she is a total bear. I have already spoke to the parents and it's not go a change on there end. Is there any advice? Should I just let her sleep ?
DaisyMamma 08:57 AM 06-17-2014
Did they say why? There is a reason even if they don't tell you it.
Either they want to spend time with her in the morning or it could even be that it causes her to go to bed early at night.

Personally I would let her sleep. Then during nap let her watch a movie.

Maybe give her a second nap late in the day so she stays awake for them all night and if you do that for a while she won't be willing to wake up at 5:30 anymore
Play Care 09:20 AM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
I have a dck that is almost 2. Her dad wakes her up at 530 everyday and for no reason but to be doing it I guess. She always falls asleep on the floor around 10sh. If I let her sleep, then she won't sleep at nap time but if I try to keep her up then she is a total bear. I have already spoke to the parents and it's not go a change on there end. Is there any advice? Should I just let her sleep ?
What time does she get to your house? Can you nap her then for a half hour?
Heidi 09:40 AM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
What time does she get to your house? Can you nap her then for a half hour?
Yes...if she's been up since 5:30 and arrives fairly early, I'd start her with a nap for maybe a half hour or so. Then, nap time like everyone else.

Otherwise, I would tell the parents that nap time is at xx for ALL the children. In order to keep the house quiet for THE WHOLE GROUP, she needs to be able to wait for nap until then. Is it possible they could let her sleep just a little longer in the morning?
SunshineMama 09:52 AM 06-17-2014
I had a girl like this. I put her down for an hour in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon. Had to wake her each time. She was only getting 8 hours of sleep per night at home. She's 2 now, and she sleeps 12-3. I wake her at 3.
permanentvacation 10:57 AM 06-17-2014
I'd do what Play Care said. Any child of mine that arrives early lays down right after getting here until the other children arrive. Most likely if your little girl has been up since 5:30, she is probably ready for a nap as soon as she gets to daycare. I'd lay her down as soon as she gets in and hopefully she will be able to get enough sleep before your daycare activities start so she can get up and participate in the activities and then be ready for your regular nap time with the other children.
cara041083 11:27 AM 06-17-2014
The drop off is at 9 but 1 day a week she comes at 7 (which was this morning) so this morning I let her sleep 30 min then woke her up. The parents know that nap time is 12. I normally end up feeding her early and laying her down at 11 and then she sleeps til 2 because she is so cranky from being tired. I think they do it so she goes to bed early. They haven't said why they do it. I just know dad wakes her up and then leaves for work at 6 an don't makes the mom get up with her. Thanks for the advice. I will try some of the things mentioned.
Angelsj 11:44 AM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
The drop off is at 9 but 1 day a week she comes at 7 (which was this morning) so this morning I let her sleep 30 min then woke her up. The parents know that nap time is 12. I normally end up feeding her early and laying her down at 11 and then she sleeps til 2 because she is so cranky from being tired. I think they do it so she goes to bed early. They haven't said why they do it. I just know dad wakes her up and then leaves for work at 6 an don't makes the mom get up with her. Thanks for the advice. I will try some of the things mentioned.
Are you saying the child is the only one awake for two hours most days?
cara041083 12:49 PM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Are you saying the child is the only one awake for two hours most days?
No it should say does make her get up. I'm on my phone and auto correct changes a lot of stuff lol. No she's not up by her self.
midaycare 12:55 PM 06-17-2014
I'm confused why the drop off is at 9 am most days and they wake her up at 5:30 am. I may need an hour to get ready in the morning, but kids don't.
NightOwl 12:59 PM 06-17-2014
I would definitely try the later nap. After a few days of her staying up later, maybe they'll get the hint. And since they won't change anything for you, politely decline when they ask you to discontinue the late afternoon naps. ;-)
cara041083 01:33 PM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I'm confused why the drop off is at 9 am most days and they wake her up at 5:30 am. I may need an hour to get ready in the morning, but kids don't.
I'm really not sure why they do it. I think they should let her sleep but that's just me. I have asked why they get her up that early and they always tell me that's just what her schedule is.
craftymissbeth 03:37 PM 06-17-2014
I would just tell them that you have a schedule, too, and she's not making it all the way until when your afternoon nap is scheduled to be. She comes at 9, but can't even make it the 3 hours to get to nap... I'd have a problem with that, too.

I would keep your regular nap times and not let her sleep until 12 when everyone else sleeps. Since she no longer needs a morning nap (because then she won't sleep during the afternoon one) then I would treat it as an "unable to participate". If she's unable to participate between 9-12 because she's falling asleep then she gets sent home.

I've just learned (from the awesome providers here) that when a parent makes it clear they will not change something that you need changed... make it a problem for them. They're not going to see the big deal until it's an issue for THEM.

It would mess up my kids' schedule if one of them was sleeping at 10 and then not sleeping in the afternoon. So I'd send home
Crazy8 05:51 PM 06-17-2014
I'd let her sleep from 9-10am and then put her back for nap from 3-5pm or something like that. Let her be wide awake in the evenings for them to have to deal with since they insist on waking her at such an ungodly hour in the morning. I'd be furious if my husband "made me" get up at 6am when I don't have to get my kid to daycare until 9am.
deliberateliterate 05:50 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Did they say why? There is a reason even if they don't tell you it.
Either they want to spend time with her in the morning or it could even be that it causes her to go to bed early at night.

Personally I would let her sleep. Then during nap let her watch a movie.

Maybe give her a second nap late in the day so she stays awake for them all night and if you do that for a while she won't be willing to wake up at 5:30 anymore
I like this.

Put her down as soon as she gets to your place, but only let her sleep for 30 min. Enough to take the edge off. Then lots of outside time so she's ready when afternoon nap rolls around. Do her parents know she falls asleep on the floor? That's messed up that they are putting her through that. Do you know what their weekend schedule us like?
Tags:sleeping on floor, sleeping places
Reply Up