Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Gifts
CountryRoads 01:54 PM 12-10-2020
I think I'm going to do gift cards to restaurants in town for my families. I just have no clue how much to give! I've got 6 families, so I don't want to spend too much.

Should I do a percentage of their monthly bill? One days fees? I have some families that only come 2-3 days, and others 5 so I'm just not sure what to do.

Advice?
Cat Herder 02:06 PM 12-10-2020
I don't do anything for families. I do one small gift per child, wrapped, to go under their Christmas tree as they leave my house on the last day before the paid holiday closure. I also send home their classroom stocking filled with a few candies and stuffers.

I do have a special "party" snack time with Christmas treats just for the kids during morning snack..
CountryRoads 02:15 PM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I don't do anything for families. I do one small gift per child, wrapped, to go under their Christmas tree as they leave my house on the last day before the paid holiday closure. I also send home their classroom stocking filled with a few candies and stuffers.

I do have a special "party" snack time with Christmas treats just for the kids during morning snack..
I debated not doing anything for the families this year, but I've always done something and they always get me gifts, so I would feel super awkward if I didn't this year. A little silly, I know. But I also like to show I appreciate their business (even though some of them don't deserve anything )
Cat Herder 02:57 PM 12-10-2020
Not silly at all. I used to do the same.
Gemma 03:48 PM 12-10-2020
I don't do anything for the kids.
I give each family a nice box of chocolates (you know, the ones made specifically to use as gifts) and a small ornament personalized with Merry Christmas and the name of my daycare
Valerie928 05:03 AM 12-11-2020
I give each of my dck's a new book and the parents get a box of chocolates.🎄
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 12-11-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Normally, this is me as well but this year I am doing something a bit different.

We had a daycare kid name exchange. Each kid drew another kids name and brought a gift. So far all but one has brought their gifts. I have a back up plan if the one family that hasn't does forget.

I also bought the kids gifts. Spent about $10-15 each and bought things like art supplies/books and that type of thing.

Each family was asked to bring a dozen cookies or bars to share (exchange) so each family will be going home with a dozen assorted cookies. I live in a smaller community so no worries about home baked items etc. All my families are looking forward to baking with their kids. I have one mom that will bring a package of Oreos. It's been her go-to contribution for 8 years now...lol! She just buys whatever kind matches the current holiday.

This year, I am apparently feeling generous as I bought parent gifts as well. I got each parent a travel mug filled with hot cocoa fixings and a regular coffee cup with a special flavored coffee pack, a small box of assorted chocolates and a candle. I put it all in a gift bag and just labeled it with both parent's names. No idea if mom or dad or both will use the cups but it's all gender neutral so...

I don't always get gifts from the parents but this year they've all been really good (except one) about managing COVID and not being stupid about exposure and all that so I just felt like it was a good way to show my appreciation to them for doing their part. It's one of those things where I feel that giving is something I personally want to do...regardless of the level of gratitude in return. (no expectations = no disappointment )

I am closed Christmas Eve through the New Year (12/24 to 1/4) so on Wednesday 12/23 we will have a lazy PJ day, with movies and pizza, candy and treats, arts/crafts, gift exchange and then "Bye! Get out! Go home! See you you next year!!"
springv 06:51 AM 12-11-2020
We do a party and a gift exchange, all of the girls bring a boy gift and the boys bring a boy gift and the parents bring snacks to share (but with covid this year, I don't know if they are letting parents bring snacks or not)
CeriBear 07:50 AM 12-11-2020
I usually give a goodie bag to each child filled with a box of crayons, small tin of play dough, stickers, and candy. I thought about books one year but I was afraid the child might already have it.
Josiegirl 04:12 AM 12-12-2020
Gift cards for 6 families can add up quickly. Do they have good pizza places locally or specialty sandwich shops?
My take on this idea(and it's JMO):
DCPs used to sometimes give me restaurant gift cards and I'm not much of a go-out-for-dinner type of person so sometimes they went unused for long periods of time(Shamefully admitting some I still haven't used). UNLESS it was a pizza place because they're usually so easy to order and take out. That is a big consideration now too. So I guess this part of my opinion is 'know your recipients'.
Next part is 'know your budget'. Even at 20 bucks a pop, it's a lot of $$$.
Not knowing the options in your area or your dcps, it's hard to offer advice that'd work for all. Some people love breweries/pubs, some people drink/some don't, some love a night on the town, some don't.

What I used to do was put together a tray of cookies and breads. I figured if they didn't eat them, then they could certainly share them.
Occasionally, I'd do a dcf holiday party on a Friday when I closed. I'd make lots of healthy snack trays, treat trays and punch, cider. Lotta work.

I always bought gifts for the dcks, and had the kids make their parents something.
This year, in particular makes it super challenging. You could always do gift cards to grocery stores, book store, local places for support, donation to a local food bank/animal shelter/etc. in the dcfs names.
You could always offer a parents' night out for future use. Or a day of free care to be used when they'd like. Movie passes.

Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure they'll appreciate it! Including a handwritten note citing the reasons why you love having their child or specific ways you've watched them grow in your care, is always a wonderful touch.

Oh and please don't let guilt of buying, then not buying make a difference. I've done the same to myself. Individual Circumstances change a lot; what we can do one year doesn't always establish an annual precedent. Receiving gifts from dcps used to cause my guilt if/when I didn't reciprocate, but then I started thinking about hairdressers, trash collectors, and all the other people we tend to tip at Christmas and realize it's not always a 2 way street.

So this is simply my take on it. And I probably should shut off the coffeemaker now cause I obviously have reached my limit.

Good luck in your choice! Go with what YOU feel.
dolores 09:06 AM 12-12-2020
We used to host a pot luck December party for our families, along with a gift exchange between children and a gift from me.

This year we will be doing a holiday party with the kids only and each will be given a gift. Most of my boys are playing superheroes so each will get a cape with mask; an etch-a-sketch for those who like coloring/writing; train set for 1 munchkin who is obsessed and Peppa Pig playset for 2 fans. Bought them all on Black Friday at nominal prices.

Instead of a gift exchange, we are asking families to donate canned foods for our food drive which will be donated to a local food pantry.

I've never given parents holiday gifts. Kids take home their holiday art/crafts.
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 12-12-2020
We collect donations for a different charity each year
I want the kids to give as well as receive

This year we are buying personal items (soap, shampoo, combs, socks, lotion, toothpaste etc) for food bank as the director there says so many people donate food but people who use food bank always need toiletries and no one ever brings that stuff in as donations so she gave me a list of items to ask for

I always have the kids make pictures and cards everyday for the two weeks before Christmas and then on the day before vacation I give the cards and pictures to two of my DCM’s that work in nursing homes to distribute to residents that are alone. SUPER important this year with nursing homes being in crisis mode with COVID
dolores 09:34 AM 12-12-2020
Ahhh...personal items. That's a good point Blackcat. Which made me think to also give the unopened packs of diaper/pullups from past kids. Feminine products (napkins, pads, tampons) are a high demand too.
Ariana 06:53 AM 12-14-2020
Typically I do a Christmas book and we do Christmas themed crafts. I don’t typically do crafts so it is a real treat for the parents. Last year I also bought chocolates for the parents as part of my kids fundraiser at school. Not all the parents got them though, only the ones I truly appreciate In years past I have gotten the parents I appreciate nice bottles of wine.

Next year I am totally going to host a fundraiser for either the food bank or the purse project (fill a purse with hygiene and beauty items for women in shelters), such a great idea!!
Snowmom 07:04 AM 12-16-2020
I always buy the kids a gift to open at our daycare party.
Usually a toy under $20 each.

I usually make a large assortment of cookies and Chex/muddy mix to send home with the parents. This year, I also made hot chocolate bombs and stuck in a cute mug. They turned out really cute too!

I can't imagine buying gift cards for all the families. That would really add up fast. Especially since there is a gifting limit for tax purposes.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I always have the kids make pictures and cards everyday for the two weeks before Christmas and then on the day before vacation I give the cards and pictures to two of my DCM’s that work in nursing homes to distribute to residents that are alone. SUPER important this year with nursing homes being in crisis mode with COVID
One of our local homes created an "adopt a resident" facebook event with requests, pictures and ideas.
The kids loved getting involved with that and it was nice to have a face attached with what we were gifting.
Jo123ABC 10:43 PM 12-16-2020
I printed a certificate from word for 1 free day of care valid through December 2021. The kids will also be crafting an ornament.
Tags:christmas gifts parents
Reply Up