Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Time Teacher, Emotionally Attached
Unregistered 10:21 PM 12-27-2020
I'm a 19 year old woman who'd never really liked children before I started working with 2 year olds at the school I'm employed at. I've been there a couple months, and it turns out I'm actually really good with children.

I spend ten hours Mon-Fri at work, and I love it so much. I love my job, I love these children. I never expected childcare to bring me such contentment and genuine joy.

But I'm so sad knowing that they are going to move up to the next class soon. I feel like the love I feel for them is more motherly than babysitter... is it normal to feel that attached to your students? Every day I see them grow and learn new words and concepts.

In my heart it feels like I just spontaneously gained 15 children and it feels unnatural for them to be moving away in the world soon. Is it just normal for me as a woman to feel that way about the kids? I'm not about to go crazy kidnapping or sniffing their hair or anything weird like that, but I was just wondering how to cope when you get emotionally attached to your first class?
Unregistered 05:18 AM 12-28-2020
It is actually normal. The good thing is that you will get new little kids to shape and mold and still be able to occasionally look in on the group you have now.
flying_babyb 07:01 PM 12-31-2020
Theres ones you'll remember forever. I have a few from my first years that come to mind often. Your techinally not loosing your babies, you can always peek in on them in there new rooms. I do it. The really special ones will remember you for years and remember why they love u
Cat Herder 07:08 AM 01-01-2021
I am now keeping the children of the children I once kept. Also, my peers grandkids. No worries. Life goes on.
Annalee 08:24 AM 01-01-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am now keeping the children of the children I once kept. Also, my peers grandkids. No worries. Life goes on.
Yep, and I can see myself reaching the next generation of these families

But not sure if it's me, or the generation gap, but I don't seem to be nearly as attached as I was to the first generation of kids.... On my 28th year!
Cat Herder 06:40 AM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Annalee:
But not sure if it's me, or the generation gap, but I don't seem to be nearly as attached as I was to the first generation of kids.... On my 28th year!
I think that is the normal aging process of many women. In my late teens and early twenties my biological clock was so loud I could barely think on anything else. KIDS. Now. Where are the kids??? It probably would have continued into my thirties had I not already completed my chilbearing for my dreamed "happy family of five" by twenty-six.

Now, as an empty nester, I don't get quite so excited about anything. Then again, I also don't feel dread, fear or misery quite like I once did. After all the hurdles I already jumped I feel more "bring it".

I don't believe I am original in any way on this.
Annalee 06:44 AM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I think that is the normal aging process of many women. In my late teens and early twenties my biological clock was so loud I could barely think on anything else. KIDS. Now. Where are the kids??? It probably would have continued into my thirties had I not already completed my chilbearing for my dreamed "happy family of five" by twenty-six.

Now, as an empty nester, I don't get quite so excited about anything. Then again, I also don't feel dread, fear or misery quite like I once did. After all the hurdles I already jumped I feel more "bring it".

I don't believe I am original in any way on this.
Totally Understand!
Tags:attached to children, attachment issues, babies, beginners, childcare, childcare professional, teacher vent
Reply Up