Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>State Ratio Question
SunshineMama 12:51 PM 05-25-2012
These are my state ratios. I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. If I watch 6 children 5 and under, can I also watch two children on top of that, age 6 and up, for a total of 8? I am confused by what this means: "Mixed age group ration for youngest child in group" I don't have any infants.

Thanks!

Infants (1:5) and (1:6)
Toddlers (1:7) and (1:8)
Preschool (1:12) and (1:14)
Schoolage (1:18) and (1:20)
Mixed age group ration for youngest child in group

All ages (1:6) includes providers children under 6 years of age; and no more than 3 may be under 2 years of age.
saved4always 02:19 PM 05-25-2012
I believe that means that you have to follow the ratio for the youngest child in care when you have mixed age groups. If you have an infant mixed with toddlers, the infant ratio is followed, not the toddler ratio.
DCP 02:44 PM 05-25-2012
Are you licensed for 8?

In my state - you are initially licensed for 6 (any age) with only being able to have 3 children under two at any time with one being 15 months old and walking. You must request to be licensed for 8 which is called family plus

I am personally now licensed for 8 - can have 6 children of any age (providing the infant rule is followed) plus two school aged.
DCBlessings27 03:06 PM 05-25-2012
The information from your post matches a search to daycares in Ohio. If you're in Ohio, you can only watch 6 kids (including yours) without being licensed.

Type B homes - one to six children cared for in the provider's personal residence. No more than three children may be under two years of age. The provider's own children under six years of age must be included in the total count. Anyone can operate a Type B Home without a license. However, care for more than 6 children requires a license. Type B homes must be certified by the county department of Job and Family Services if the child care is paid for with public funds. Approximately 7,000 type B homes are certified by local departments of Job and Family Services.

Not sure if you actually are in Ohio. The info just matched.
SunnyDay 03:13 PM 05-25-2012
I would read that as only the bottom line applying to homes and the others applying to centers. It sounds like you can only have more than 6 children if the ones that put you over are your own children and 6-years-old or older.
Tags:ratios
Reply Up