Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spirited Children?
childcarebytori 06:57 PM 06-17-2014
I'm curious to see if anyone has any spirited children, either their own, or enrolled in their daycare.

How do you handle the unique challenges?

midaycare 07:06 PM 06-17-2014
I have one. Oh man, do I have one But dcg's issue is she is very smart.

I have to use redirection all the time with her. All.the.time. Repetition works. Some kids just take longer because they figure they can wear you down. I will tell her, "Dcg, I'm not going to change my answer just because you ask me 101 times." She will smile at me slyly - she knows and she must be bothering her parents and other family members at home until she gets whatever it is that she wants.

And her tantrums are legend-wait for it-ary. (Heh, heh, if you got that, you're cool). Thankfully I've only witnessed that once. I paid her no attention and she stopped soon enough.

I give dcg very challenging things (but appropriate) here to keep her busy. And she loves being my helper. And I love getting help, so it's a win-win.
cheerfuldom 07:39 PM 06-17-2014
I have a very very spirited child. My other three are
MUCH more manageable. Around 2, I was doing a lot of research on her behaviors and such and we have found her to be sensory-seeking. Look up sensory processing disorder and see if those are the things you are seeing. There are distinct behaviors outside of just normal, kids being kids type behavior. I KNEW something was off about her and I was right.

Just a thought.
Josiegirl 02:48 AM 06-18-2014
Haha if by spirited you mean strong-willed, extra challenging, exasperating, frustrating, make me want to pull my hair out constantly type of child? Then OH YEH.
My food program lady was here yesterday and this dcg screams like she lost a limb and the woman just looks at me....she used to be a dcprovider herself and I asked her 'don't you miss this?' She just smiles and says not really.
It's a daily(oh he!!, sometimes a minute to minute) challenge keeping her occupied and happy.
TickleMonster 05:22 AM 06-18-2014
We have had our fair share of spirited children here at dc but they were easy enough to manage because I had already been through alot with my two sons. Both of my boys are extremely spirited, outgoing, rowdy kids and honestly it just takes time and alot of patience. You have to find what interests these children which can be difficult since their attention spans can be very short lived. It also requires alot of redirection and little reminders on how to behave. And once again patience.
Laurel 05:22 AM 06-18-2014
When I worked in a Montessori classroom many moons ago it was required that the teacher observe each child (each day for a while I think) and make notes. Obviously this is easier if you have two adults but home providers can do it somewhat. Try to actually observe what the child does and why. If you can 'figure him out' so to speak, you can manage him better that way.

For example, I've found out that my grandson cannot just jump into an activity. He needs to stand back and observe first and then be allowed to approach it slowly and then he will be fine. Expecting him to just quickly do it results in him getting upset. He also responds to peer pressure (which is gonna be a problem when he is a teen).

His mom, my daughter, is certified to do Myers Briggs personality testing which is just really what people prefer. One type is not better than another. BUT, if you know what a person prefers and what makes the world more comfortable to him then you can adjust your expectations. Her son and her do not seem to be the same type (as far as she can tell because he is still a child) so she asks another adult she knows that is his type what to do in certain circumstances to motivate or calm him and it works.

You may or may not want to look up more about it but it helps us to know.

When he is 'off the wall', he either needs physical activity or a quiet calming activity like playing with playdough or doing arts and crafts.

If a child is old enough and speaks well you can ask him what he likes. Seems obvious but with my very first group of school agers years ago I had a what I thought was a whole days worth of activities planned for them. They got them all done in an hour! I finally figured out that they (brothers) were the super athletic type so that summer we just park hopped and hiked and did things like that all summer.

Laurel
Kimskiddos 06:13 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have one. Oh man, do I have one But dcg's issue is she is very smart.

I have to use redirection all the time with her. All.the.time. Repetition works. Some kids just take longer because they figure they can wear you down. I will tell her, "Dcg, I'm not going to change my answer just because you ask me 101 times." She will smile at me slyly - she knows and she must be bothering her parents and other family members at home until she gets whatever it is that she wants.

And her tantrums are legend-wait for it-ary. (Heh, heh, if you got that, you're cool). Thankfully I've only witnessed that once. I paid her no attention and she stopped soon enough.

I give dcg very challenging things (but appropriate) here to keep her busy. And she loves being my helper. And I love getting help, so it's a win-win.
I have this exact same dcg, she'll turn 4yo in August. I do all of the above but have been unable to curb her of manipulating/bossing/toy hoarding with the other kiddos. She does end up doing plenty of table activities just to keep her busy and let the other kiddos play in peace.
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 06-18-2014
Having my own "spirited child" is what lead me to this profession.
midaycare 08:02 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
I have this exact same dcg, she'll turn 4yo in August. I do all of the above but have been unable to curb her of manipulating/bossing/toy hoarding with the other kiddos. She does end up doing plenty of table activities just to keep her busy and let the other kiddos play in peace.
Mine will turn 4 in November.
MotherNature 11:04 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Having my own "spirited child" is what lead me to this profession.
Ditto. My son is 3 & an extreme handful. He falls to the active alert range of spirited/high need kids. We're still trying new things with him, but so far a routine helps..doing the same thing for bed every night, etc. He hasn't napped since he was 1, which is why I started my own daycare. I knew no one else would be able to understand and put up with him. We are also having him evaluated for SPD in September. We also want to get him a trampoline. I hear they're wonderful for kids that need to be active and crash off walls, etc. Our son has zero concept of personal space. He cnstantly hs to be touching you somehow..drives me up the wall, especially being pregnant.
Tags:dumping, putting toys away, spirited
Reply Up