Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Not Comfortable Applying Sunblock Before Drop Off?????
aDCProvider 03:39 AM 06-19-2014
This is the same family I just had the throw up/spit up issue with. I smoothed things over with DCD but mom who is usually VERY friendly at p/u has been very quiet since the incident last week.

I ask DCD to start applying sunscreen prior to drop off so we can sometimes get outside after breakfast due to the hot weather, all my other parents do and have no problem with it. Well this DCM texted very early this morning that she is uncomfortable with it because sunblock only lasts 2 hours and I need to apply it myself when we go out after the babies morning nap. I explained that this because we sometimes go out right after breakfast, then she says she doesn't think her DH should have to try to guess the daily activities for a sometimes situation and wants the sunscreen applied as needed. I ask this of all my parent because I have multiple children and it takes me much longer to apply than for each parent to do their own child prior to drop off.

I never had a problem with this family until I sent their child home sick once! My DH and I know them personally so things have always been very friendly and now all this. At pick up I'm going to ask mom if there's anything she would like to discuss as I feel there is tension ever since I sent her child home sick. I'm big on open communication and can't stand the passive aggressive communication and want to put a stop to it.

I'm ready to replace this family, if this behavior doesn't stop. they are taking up my only infant spot and I could easily fill it. I can't work like this!
Mom o Col 03:45 AM 06-19-2014
I would feel the same way you do; as if there was a bigger issue than the sunblock. Yup, ask her if she has anything she needs to talk about. When my son has outdoor activities at school they always ask to have sunscreen applied before school. No big deal.
nannyde 03:59 AM 06-19-2014
I would just reiterate that all kids are required to come with sunscreen on. They don't have to know activities. If this doesn't work for your family you are welcome to put in your notice. During the notice time your child must have sunscreen on to attend.

The other option is to tell her you have had some requests to do the first sunscreen of the day and have decided to offer it for an additional two dollars per day. If she would like you todo it the fee must be paid in advance. The other pparents decided to go ahead and do it at home.for free but if she is concerned it will be put on the kid unnecessarily then she is welcome to pay for you to do it.
SunshineMama 04:04 AM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I would just reiterate that all kids are required to come with sunscreen on. They don't have to know activities. If this doesn't work for your family you are welcome to put in your notice. During the notice time your child must have sunscreen on to attend.

The other option is to tell her you have had some requests to do the first sunscreen of the day and have decided to offer it for an additional two dollars per day. If she would like you todo it the fee must be paid in advance. The other pparents decided to go ahead and do it at home.for free but if she is concerned it will be put on the kid unnecessarily then she is welcome to pay for you to do it.
Great idea about the $2.00 fee!
DaisyMamma 04:20 AM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by Mom o Col:
I would feel the same way you do; as if there was a bigger issue than the sunblock. Yup, ask her if she has anything she needs to talk about. When my son has outdoor activities at school they always ask to have sunscreen applied before school. No big deal.
There is something else going on for sure. I find that parents get nit picky about everything when there is a bigger issue, founded or unfounded.

My kid's school also asks for sunscreen to be applied before school. I have to say it has always upset me. Sunscreen really DOES ONLY last two hours. Sometimes they ask this when the activity isn't until noon. It makes no sense.
sahm1225 04:42 AM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
There is something else going on for sure. I find that parents get nit picky about everything when there is a bigger issue, founded or unfounded.

My kid's school also asks for sunscreen to be applied before school. I have to say it has always upset me. Sunscreen really DOES ONLY last two hours. Sometimes they ask this when the activity isn't until noon. It makes no sense.
I ask for it to be applied before dropping off too. We apply right when we get outside, but sunscreen needs to be on for usually 15-30 minutes before it starts working. If the parent applies the first layer then at least they have some barrier protection while the new application sets in.
aDCProvider 05:12 AM 06-19-2014

Yes, there is something....I enforced a policy for the first time with them and it inconvenienced them. Nothing else has ever happened here in the last year and I've always been VERY accommodating with them, but when I stopped I was met with hostility.
Play Care 05:20 AM 06-19-2014

OP, I would be prepared for them to give notice. Pulling over not getting their way - It's the adult version of the temper tantrum
Blackcat31 05:24 AM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:

THIS ^^^

It's astounding how fast a parent will change their tune when you attach a fee or stand your ground.

Originally Posted by aDCProvider:
Yes, there is something....I enforced a policy for the first time with them and it inconvenienced them. Nothing else has ever happened here in the last year and I've always been VERY accommodating with them, but when I stopped I was met with hostility.
That's because up until now, you've been accommodating so they are simply expecting it now.

When you now say no...they aren't so "golden" anymore.
~VERY COMMON sadly.

I would give them the two options NannyDe suggested and leave it be.

It's their choice.
aDCProvider 05:46 AM 06-19-2014
Well, at drop off I was told they are not comfortable applying it, my contract only asks them to provide it and that's all they'll do and it is what it is, and we all know how important contracts are (said a bit sarcastically). Then dad quickly walked out the door. This is obviously because of sending their child home sick.

I am going to discuss this at drop off. I called DCM and left a message to call me back for her updated work contact info. If she calls back I'll ask why all the tension. I just don't get it....
DaisyMamma 05:52 AM 06-19-2014
I would expect them to pull.

I've had only one family get over their tantrum and honestly the time it took was uncomfortable for me. But we talked about it and that's what made the difference.
If I were you I would ask for a conference ASAP, approach them nicely and get it all out in the air.

I would not appreciate the snide comments and sarcasm about policy. They are now being difficult on purpose. They are being rude to you in your home.
DaisyMamma 05:54 AM 06-19-2014
or you could send the kid home with a nice sunburn
deliberateliterate 05:55 AM 06-19-2014
That is really childish of them. Tell them that they will need to dress the child in long sleeves and long pants with a wide brimed hat. If you can replace them, I would do that. If you give them an ultimatim e, your working relationship will likely deteriorate even further anyway.
SignMeUp 06:44 AM 06-19-2014
I'd try to have the conversation - I'd be blunt and say that I feel like our relationship is strained and you don't want it to come to a breaking point.
MarinaVanessa 06:48 AM 06-19-2014
Dear DC families,

This notice is to inform you of a change/addition to the daycare policies.

Effective [2 weeks] all children will be required to arrive to daycare with the first application of sunscreen already applied. This is so that the sunblock has time to set and begin working by the time we go outside in the morning. As the day goes on I will reapply the sunblock as needed.

Mornings are already busy for us and having the children arrive with sunblock already applies allows us an additional 18-30 minutes of playtime since it can take 3-5 minutes to apply sunblock on each child multiplied by the number in children in care.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Provider

The contract policies are important right? Well there ya go, add the sunblock thing to your contract policies. They are now just being resistant because they're peeved. They have the "I don't have to and you can't make me" mentality now so just add this policy to their agreement (even if they are the only ones you give the notice to) and they can either abide by it or move on to a different daycare.
NeedaVaca 07:13 AM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Dear DC families,

This notice is to inform you of a change/addition to the daycare policies.

Effective [2 weeks] all children will be required to arrive to daycare with the first application of sunscreen already applied. This is so that the sunblock has time to set and begin working by the time we go outside in the morning. As the day goes on I will reapply the sunblock as needed.

Mornings are already busy for us and having the children arrive with sunblock already applies allows us an additional 18-30 minutes of playtime since it can take 3-5 minutes to apply sunblock on each child multiplied by the number in children in care.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Provider

The contract policies are important right? Well there ya go, add the sunblock thing to your contract policies. They are now just being resistant because they're peeved. They have the "I don't have to and you can't make me" mentality now so just add this policy to their agreement (even if they are the only ones you give the notice to) and they can either abide by it or move on to a different daycare.

taylorw1210 07:49 AM 06-19-2014
Well, at drop off I was told they are not comfortable applying it, my contract only asks them to provide it and that's all they'll do and it is what it is, and we all know how important contracts are (said a bit sarcastically). Then dad quickly walked out the door. This is obviously because of sending their child home sick.

I am going to discuss this at drop off. I called DCM and left a message to call me back for her updated work contact info. If she calls back I'll ask why all the tension. I just don't get it....
And this is what we call and adult tantrum. Ridiculous.

Stand your ground and do not let them win this battle.
daycare 08:02 AM 06-19-2014
I live in sunny Ca.

I send out a notice with a permission to administer sunscreen form and request for sunblock. The notice says that from April to September all parents are required to apply sunblock to their child before drop off each day. If they forget to apply, I will hand them their child's tube when they walk in.

No one has an issue with it ever.

I would clear the air.
Meeko 08:05 AM 06-19-2014
A lot of you have so much more patience than I do! By this point I would be done trying to make nice/have conversations etc etc.

What the dad was telling you at drop off was "You'll do as you're told and you'll like it".

Never in a million years am I willing to have someone take that attitude with me in my own home. ESPECIALLY after his rudeness earlier about the sick child.

I would have told him..."Really?". Then I would have cleared out the child's cubby in front of him, hand him his child and show him the door. Immediate, on the spot termination. Then call licensing and prepare for a visit!

I admit, I find it easier to be a "harda$$" nowadays because I have done this for nearly three decades. That makes most of my DCP's YOUNGER than some of my own kids. I therefore will take NO disrespect from any of them. I've gotten harder in my old age and treat them like my children!
Play Care 09:18 AM 06-19-2014
This whole thread is making me think I need to make an amendment to my contract about basic respect.

Something like "I understand that there may be times where the provider has to bring up difficult or uncomfortable issues when caring for my child. I understand that even if I am uncomfortable or upset if will refrain from raising my voice (yelling) at the provider, or behaving in passive aggressive fashion by making comments or using body language to make my provider uncomfortable or fearful. I fully understand that such behavior will lead to immediate termination."

Which is sad that you have to spell things out for adults but it seems to be the way it is...
mim 10:08 AM 06-19-2014
This is what my policies say.

"During the warmer weather (May-Sept), we try to get outside by 8:15 am to soak up some Vitamin D and avoid the harsher sun rays. If you would like your child to have sunscreen on when they are outside (Apr/May-Sept/Oct), you will need to provide a spray can of sunscreen to keep at daycare and I will apply it each day before they play outside if we plan on playing outside between 10:15am-3pm. I do not apply sunscreen unless we are going to be outside between 10am-3pm. Sun rays are beneficial for Vitamin D before 10am and sunscreen hinders the absorption."

They either bring a can or not. It is up to them. I usually stand the kids in a line, spray one after the other and it doesn't take too long.

Most of my parents don't ever bring me any. But we are not usually outside between the worst parts of the day either.
Shell 10:27 AM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
A lot of you have so much more patience than I do! By this point I would be done trying to make nice/have conversations etc etc.

What the dad was telling you at drop off was "You'll do as you're told and you'll like it".

Never in a million years am I willing to have someone take that attitude with me in my own home. ESPECIALLY after his rudeness earlier about the sick child.

I would have told him..."Really?". Then I would have cleared out the child's cubby in front of him, hand him his child and show him the door. Immediate, on the spot termination. Then call licensing and prepare for a visit!

I admit, I find it easier to be a "harda$$" nowadays because I have done this for nearly three decades. That makes most of my DCP's YOUNGER than some of my own kids. I therefore will take NO disrespect from any of them. I've gotten harder in my old age and treat them like my children!
love it! I would be very tempted to do this. I agree this family is just creating issues with you. This week it's sunscreen, next week will be something else. I would give them their 2 week's notice now.
Go play! 10:58 AM 06-19-2014
It's almost never the kids that make you want to give a two week notice. He's treating you like his employee and that's really annoying. Good luck with the conversation!
aDCProvider 11:10 AM 06-19-2014
Thank you ladies for all your responses and support...I don't know what I'd do without this forum!

I have posted an ad for the spot. Things have been quiet in regards to inquiries, but it usually is in the summer time. When/if I get another baby enrolled I will be letting this family go.

I am still going to talk to DCM today about try to clear the air. I will just tell her that I've valued the relationship that we had and that I would like to continue to have a good working relationship and ask if everything is ok. Depending on her response, I'll either keep them until I find another child to fill the spot or they'll be give notice today. If they're not given notice today, the next time I'm met with disrespect they will get a term letter.

It all just really sucks because we are good friends with the same couple, and we will have to see them at functions for the other couple.

I can't stand the customer service part of this business!!!!
aDCProvider 11:14 AM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by Go play!:
It's almost never the kids that make you want to give a two week notice. He's treating you like his employee and that's really annoying. Good luck with the conversation!
Yup, that's exactly what he's doing. Sorry, I'm not your employee!
aDCProvider 11:16 AM 06-19-2014
Please help me write my term letter. I plan to have one printed with the dates blank to be filled in when I'm ready to term. I like the idea of having one in my files to be able to quickly pull it out, fill in the dates and hand it over to them.
Blackcat31 11:18 AM 06-19-2014
Please help me write my term letter. I plan to have one printed with the dates blank to be filled in when I'm ready to term. I like the idea of having one in my files to be able to quickly pull it out, fill in the dates and hand it over to them.
Dear DCF

This letter is written notice of cancellation of our child care services agreement.

At this time, I feel that my program is not the right fit for your family. The last day I am able to provide care is xxxx, 2014.

I have attached the number to the local Child Care Resource & Referral offices to aid you in your search for new child care arrangements.

Sincerely,

Provider

aDCProvider 11:23 AM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Dear DCF

This letter is written notice of cancellation of our child care services agreement.

At this time, I feel that my program is not the right fit for your family. The last day I am able to provide care is xxxx, 2014.

I have attached the number to the local Child Care Resource & Referral offices to aid you in your search for new child care arrangements.

Sincerely,

Provider
You wouldn't put anything in about why?

I was going to add this to the end to protect myself if they get mean (since they have already shown me their true colors)..."If there are any instances of disrespect or hostile behavior or any other breach of contract during the notice period, care will be terminated immediately and you will forfeit your deposit and all monies paid to date. Please sign and date below to acknowledge receipt of this notice."
Blackcat31 11:29 AM 06-19-2014
You wouldn't put anything in about why?

I was going to add this to the end to protect myself if they get mean (since they have already shown me their true colors)..."If there are any instances of disrespect or hostile behavior or any other breach of contract during the notice period, care will be terminated immediately and you will forfeit your deposit and all monies paid to date. Please sign and date below to acknowledge receipt of this notice."
You could...I am usually VERY direct about it but you mentioned running in the same social circles so I figured, the more vague the better. If anyone socially asks you can say it was just not a good fit.

Often times I tell them verbally it is due to disrespect or not adhering to program policies and then hand them the term letter as a finality.

The parents know full well why.

Sometimes being vague can be more professional...kwim? But it really is up to you as you know how this family will or won't react and you are the one having to deal with any fall out.

So, you could definitely add the part about termination immediately if there is any further disrespect during the final two weeks.

Honestly though if you are worried about them being hostile, I would just term immediately and be done. Does your contract state you can do that?

Mine says I can terminate immediately for several reasons and disrespect is one of them.
aDCProvider 11:36 AM 06-19-2014
You could...I am usually VERY direct about it but you mentioned running in the same social circles so I figured, the more vague the better. If anyone socially asks you can say it was just not a good fit.

Often times I tell them verbally it is due to disrespect or not adhering to program policies and then hand them the term letter as a finality.

The parents know full well why.

Sometimes being vague can be more professional...kwim? But it really is up to you as you know how this family will or won't react and you are the one having to deal with any fall out.

So, you could definitely add the part about termination immediately if there is any further disrespect during the final two weeks.

Honestly though if you are worried about them being hostile, I would just term immediately and be done. Does your contract state you can do that?

Mine says I can terminate immediately for several reasons and disrespect is one of them.
Yes, my contract says I can term immediately due to breach of contract or disrespect, but I don't have anything about not refunding money in the event of immediate termination. This family pays monthly and I'm holding a 2 week deposit that I would rather not have to refund.

I have since update my contract for incoming families addressing this issue and was going to have this family sign the new contract with the updated policies when they hit a year in September.
Blackcat31 12:33 PM 06-19-2014
Yes, my contract says I can term immediately due to breach of contract or disrespect, but I don't have anything about not refunding money in the event of immediate termination. This family pays monthly and I'm holding a 2 week deposit that I would rather not have to refund.

I have since update my contract for incoming families addressing this issue and was going to have this family sign the new contract with the updated policies when they hit a year in September.
In that case, I would probably give them the term notice but still be available to provide services for the last two weeks. BUT include the clause you mentioned about that if there are any more incidences of hostility or disrespect they wil be termed immediately and forfeit any remaining funds.
snowball 04:13 PM 06-19-2014
So what happened at pick up?
aDCProvider 05:01 PM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by snowball:
So what happened at pick up?
Not good! DCM went off about her kid being sent home sick and that it was ridiculous and how I'm so rigid (definitely not, since I've never enforced a single policy with this family) and about how she's so worried DCD would forget to put on sunblock and her baby would get burned and that she just didn't feel comfortable with it. At one point when I told her I have to follow regulations, she almost yelled at me "don't talk to me about regulations!" Then later on said she understood why I sent her kid home . I said I was just trying to clear the air and fix the personal relationship we had, she said "I don't know what more you want from me, we will see how it goes". I had other kids there and didn't want her to get more volatile so I let it go. She said she'd see me next week (they don't come Fridays).

I'm done! My husband wants them gone, maybe more than I do because he personally has known the DCD for 15+ years and is royally pissed at how they've treated me!

I'm trying to fill the spot, if things are quiet next week I will wait until I have someone lined up, but if I get one ounce of rudeness, or disrespect from either of them they are getting their walking papers. I will give them 4 weeks notice but I doubt they'd stay for it.

What a nightmare this situation turned out! I know things will be said about me to our friends...what am I legally allowed to disclose when I undoubtedly have to defend my self?
hope 05:16 PM 06-19-2014
4 weeks notice? Is that what you have in your contract? That is a lot of time with a disgruntled family.
daycare 05:19 PM 06-19-2014
Not good! DCM went off about her kid being sent home sick and that it was ridiculous and how I'm so rigid (definitely not, since I've never enforced a single policy with this family) and about how she's so worried DCD would forget to put on sunblock and her baby would get burned and that she just didn't feel comfortable with it. At one point when I told her I have to follow regulations, she almost yelled at me "don't talk to me about regulations!" Then later on said she understood why I sent her kid home . I said I was just trying to clear the air and fix the personal relationship we had, she said "I don't know what more you want from me, we will see how it goes". I had other kids there and didn't want her to get more volatile so I let it go. She said she'd see me next week (they don't come Fridays).

I'm done! My husband wants them gone, maybe more than I do because he personally has known the DCD for 15+ years and is royally pissed at how they've treated me!

I'm trying to fill the spot, if things are quiet next week I will wait until I have someone lined up, but if I get one ounce of rudeness, or disrespect from either of them they are getting their walking papers. I will give them 4 weeks notice but I doubt they'd stay for it.

What a nightmare this situation turned out! I know things will be said about me to our friends...what am I legally allowed to disclose when I undoubtedly have to defend my self?
Oh lordly that stinks...

I would have termed on the spot....that is just disrespectful. I am sure they signed your contract correct?
Don't feel bad about doing your job. Kid is sick they go home, kid does not have sun block on at arrival parent needs to put it on right then and there.

I would email term papers, then send cert mail.

As for your friends, I would not say a word. Let her try to say things, she will look like an a$$ all on her own. If she tries to damage your company you can sue her. I am sure there are others on here with experience with that.

I would not tolerate one more day of disrespect or give them one more chance to disrespect me, my family or my DCKs.
snowball 05:30 PM 06-19-2014

Honestly, if there is any way you can I would term now. I'd be willing to bet money that they are looking for other care.

And how she responded was rude. They have been disrespectful at least 3 times. For me, enough would be enough.

Just my 2 cent of course
Meeko 06:19 PM 06-19-2014
Oh boy! My blood is boiling just reading this!

TERM THEM NOW!!!!!

I am sure they are looking for another provider that they feel they can walk all over and will then "fire" you.

THEY are the ones in the wrong and should be told to take hike.
craftymissbeth 06:54 PM 06-19-2014
I agree with the others that they're just waiting until the find some poor provider who bends over backwards to please clients. Then it'll be buh bye, see ya later! I'd term immediately. I'm a single parent so I know all about needing income, but there's no way I'd chance another adult tantrum happening in my home by these people.

I'd want the upper hand in knowing WHEN they're leaving, so I'd be the one to term.

Sorry these idiots are being so disrespectful to you.
KidGrind 07:36 PM 06-19-2014
Is it me or did she tell you her husband is too stupid to apply sunscreen and she doesn’t trust him with their child?

TERM! TERM! TERM!
aDCProvider 03:16 AM 06-20-2014
They posted an ad for a nanny on Care.com right after I sent their child home sick. Term papers are going to be emailed over the weekend!
aDCProvider 03:24 AM 06-20-2014
My paid vacation falls on the last week of their 4 week notice period. I was going to write something like the 4 week notice period ends 7/17/14, but as you know I will be on vacation that week, therefore the last day I am able to proved childcare services is 7/10/14. Is this ok? They've been here for 9 months so I have accrued and deserve this paid vacation. Whether I term them now or later, they would have still had to pay for this vacation.
Play Care 03:36 AM 06-20-2014
My paid vacation falls on the last week of their 4 week notice period. I was going to write something like the 4 week notice period ends 7/17/14, but as you know I will be on vacation that week, therefore the last day I am able to proved childcare services is 7/10/14. Is this ok? They've been here for 9 months so I have accrued and deserve this paid vacation. Whether I term them now or later, they would have still had to pay for this vacation.

I would forgo the paid vacation to get rid of them, but that's just me.

It's also why rather than have them pay me the week I am off, I pad regular tuition by $4 a week, and bank it for vacations. Then I don't have to worry if they bail before a vacation as it's already paid
DaisyMamma 04:08 AM 06-20-2014
I wouldnt expect another penny, especially for a vacation. Or do you get the four weeks paid up front?
Im willing to bet that you wont see them again.
Keep us posted.
EntropyControlSpecialist 05:52 AM 06-20-2014
I wouldnt expect another penny, especially for a vacation. Or do you get the four weeks paid up front?
Im willing to bet that you wont see them again.
Keep us posted.
I think so, too.
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 06-20-2014
I would rob my kids' piggy bank, give them back whatever money they have paid up front and be done now.

There is no amount of money in this world that could convince me to keep clients that treat me like dirt. NOPE.

My sanity, self-respect and self-worth are FAR MORE important to me.

If they bad mouth you to friends... let them. People who talk smack about others never fail to realize that they are saying FAR more about their own character than yours when they talk behind your back.

If any of your mutual friends asks you, just give a brief but neutral statement such as "Group care is not right for everyone. I wish them the best" and leave it at that.

Maintain your professionalism above all else and it will pay off in the end.
MarinaVanessa 09:27 AM 06-20-2014
I would rob my kids' piggy bank, give them back whatever money they have paid up front and be done now.

There is no amount of money in this world that could convince me to keep clients that treat me like dirt. NOPE.

My sanity, self-respect and self-worth are FAR MORE important to me.

If they bad mouth you to friends... let them. People who talk smack about others never fail to realize that they are saying FAR more about their own character than yours when they talk behind your back.

If any of your mutual friends asks you, just give a brief but neutral statement such as "Group care is not right for everyone. I wish them the best" and leave it at that.

aDCProvider 10:03 AM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Unfortunately, if I were to refund all their money I would have to let my assistant go right now, if not I can continue to pay her for another week and at least give her some notice.

Spoke with my licensor, I'm sending an email explaining the situation and a copy of the term letter. Then I will be sending the letter via email. Here's what it says...

This letter will serve as the 4 week notice of termination of childcare services. The 4 week notice period ends 7/18/14. As you know, Daycare is scheduled to be closed for the week of 7/14/14, making the last day of attendance 7/10/14. Your deposit will cover the last 2 weeks of care, and your prepaid balance covers the week of 6/23/14, however you are still responsible for 1 week of tuition, due at Drop off on Thursday, 6/24/14.

If there are any occurrences of disrespect or hostile behavior or any other breach of contract during the notice period, care will be terminated immediately, you will forfeit your deposit and all tuition funds paid to date, and you must arrange payment for any balance owed. Late payment will begin to accrue late fees until the payment is made, as outlined in the Parent/Provider agreement.

Below is the number for the local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency to aid you in your search for new childcare arrangements:

CCR&R
Phone number

Please sign and return to me.
Little Buttons 10:10 AM 06-20-2014
I think the letter sounds great except that 6/24/14 is a Tuesday :-)
aDCProvider 10:21 AM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by Little Buttons:
I think the letter sounds great except that 6/24/14 is a Tuesday :-)
Haha, that's because, it should say Tuesday, 6/24/14. I'm asking that they pay at their first drop off for the week so I don't have to worry all week whether they'll pay me.
daycaremum 10:23 AM 06-20-2014

These people are being disrespectful. If it was me I would terminate them. If you don't want to outright terminate them I would make an amendment to your contract to state that all children are to arrive to daycare with sunscreen already applied and have every family sign it. Include with it a memo stating that if they choose not to sign then they need to submit their two week notice of termination.

I didn't read the newer posts before responding. I see now that you are terminating, good for you. Do whatever it takes to be rid of them.
Little Buttons 10:28 AM 06-20-2014
Haha, that's because, it should say Tuesday, 6/24/14. I'm asking that they pay at their first drop off for the week so I don't have to worry all week whether they'll pay me.
Lol! I mess up dates all.the.time. I only know that one because I am expecting a package that day LOL
aDCProvider 10:50 AM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by Little Buttons:
Lol! I mess up dates all.the.time. I only know that one because I am expecting a package that day LOL

TwinKristi 11:09 AM 06-20-2014
Wow!! All this over their puking child not coming to daycare and applying sunscreen at home?? Seriously... some people have deeper issues than you ever would care to know and this seems to be the case. And for them to be using you while they search for new care is just ridiculous. That really sucks that this all falls on the vacation you have, but honestly I HIGHLY doubt they'll give you anything and they'll make it very ugly before paying you a cent more than "they feel" is fair. They surely won't pay you for vacation time when they are paying someone else and your contract has ended. I mean I KNOW what you mean and what's right, but they're obvious pretty shallow when it comes to this stuff.
preschoolteacher 11:13 AM 06-20-2014
YAY! Good for you!!!

I agree that they are going to raise a big stink over having to pay for the four week notice that includes your vacation, but I would NOT back down because you worked for it, earned it, and deserve it.

I would not let them back in for care without everything being paid up front for the final four weeks.

You're doing the right thing. Come back for more support when they're jerks about the termination, and you'll get more from all of us!
aDCProvider 11:27 AM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Wow!! All this over their puking child not coming to daycare and applying sunscreen at home?? Seriously... some people have deeper issues than you ever would care to know and this seems to be the case. And for them to be using you while they search for new care is just ridiculous. That really sucks that this all falls on the vacation you have, but honestly I HIGHLY doubt they'll give you anything and they'll make it very ugly before paying you a cent more than "they feel" is fair. They surely won't pay you for vacation time when they are paying someone else and your contract has ended. I mean I KNOW what you mean and what's right, but they're obvious pretty shallow when it comes to this stuff.
Our contract won't have ended until the end of my vacation that has been scheduled since January. They only owe 1 week of tuition and I will not accept their child until payment is made and I ABSOLUTELY WILL take them to small claims court if they do not pay it and I will win, I have a very good contract!
TwinKristi 11:56 AM 06-20-2014
Our contract won't have ended until the end of my vacation that has been scheduled since January. They only owe 1 week of tuition and I will not accept their child until payment is made and I ABSOLUTELY WILL take them to small claims court if they do not pay it and I will win, I have a very good contract!
Oh I completely understand, but you mentioned that you would have to let your helper go if they didn't pay you or something so I just want you to be prepared. I don't see this ending well at all and would hate for other people to be involved. And sadly, I'm sure they would go to small claims with a laundry list of BS and think they're going to win because in their shallow little brains, WHY should they have to pay for your vacation when they're not even there anymore?? I totally get it and agree with you 100%. If they had a job that fired them or they quit from prior to using their vacation that they accrued, they would be entitled to that anyway, even if they didn't plan on working there after that date. But of course they only see it on their side of the street.
aDCProvider 12:09 PM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Oh I completely understand, but you mentioned that you would have to let your helper go if they didn't pay you or something so I just want you to be prepared. I don't see this ending well at all and would hate for other people to be involved. And sadly, I'm sure they would go to small claims with a laundry list of BS and think they're going to win because in their shallow little brains, WHY should they have to pay for your vacation when they're not even there anymore?? I totally get it and agree with you 100%. If they had a job that fired them or they quit from prior to using their vacation that they accrued, they would be entitled to that anyway, even if they didn't plan on working there after that date. But of course they only see it on their side of the street.
My helper was leaving anyway, in a month, if I had to refund their deposit and prepaid tuition I would have to let her go now.
Blackcat31 12:51 PM 06-20-2014
The only real up side I can see by allowing them to attend during the final few weeks of care is that people usually don't have a valid complain or case against the provider for sub-standard care if they still used the provider AFTER being given the term notice.

Make sure your licensor is aware of what is going on.

Be proactive in stead of reactive. It helps 99.9% of the time
Unregistered 01:08 PM 06-20-2014
Dear CRAZY PARENT,

As of TODAY's date, 6/19/2014 (Date it for them yesterday bc that was day of incident), care has been terminated IMMEDIATELY without refund due to lack of respect for my home, my child care AND the children that were in my care yesterday when you had your outburst.

Sincerely,
I HAVE PUT UP WITH ENOUGH! Provider
DaisyMamma 04:40 AM 06-21-2014
Unfortunately, if I were to refund all their money I would have to let my assistant go right now, if not I can continue to pay her for another week and at least give her some notice.

Spoke with my licensor, I'm sending an email explaining the situation and a copy of the term letter. Then I will be sending the letter via email. Here's what it says...

This letter will serve as the 4 week notice of termination of childcare services. The 4 week notice period ends 7/18/14. As you know, Daycare is scheduled to be closed for the week of 7/14/14, making the last day of attendance 7/10/14. Your deposit will cover the last 2 weeks of care, and your prepaid balance covers the week of 6/23/14, however you are still responsible for 1 week of tuition, due at Drop off on Thursday, 6/24/14.

If there are any occurrences of disrespect or hostile behavior or any other breach of contract during the notice period, caresponseill be terminated immediately, you will forfeit your deposit and all tuition funds paid to date, and you must arrange payment for any balance owed. Late payment will begin to accrue late fees until the payment is made, as outlined in the Parent/Provider agreement.

Below is the number for the local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency to aid you in your search for new childcare arrangements:

CCR&R
Phone number

Please sign and return to me.
Let us know the responce
aDCProvider 09:00 AM 06-21-2014
Let us know the responce
Will do! I emailed the term letter yesterday afternoon, I'm sure they've seen it by now, but no response yet.

I'm going to schedule my assistant to come in early on their next scheduled day so I have a witness and backup in case things get ugly. I also will not accept the child into care if they show up without the signed term letter and a check for tuition in hand.

Also, I was thinking of withholding the child's belongings until I get payment. Is this something you guys would do?
Play Care 09:09 AM 06-21-2014
Will do! I emailed the term letter yesterday afternoon, I'm sure they've seen it by now, but no response yet.

I'm going to schedule my assistant to come in early on their next scheduled day so I have a witness and backup in case things get ugly. I also will not accept the child into care if they show up without the signed term letter and a check for tuition in hand.

Also, I thinking of withholding the child's belongings until I get payment. Is this something you guys would do?
I don't think you can legally hold on to items that way, but check your state's laws.
aDCProvider 02:05 PM 06-22-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I don't think you can legally hold on to items that way, but check your state's laws.
Could someone direct where to look for whether this is legal in my state?
aDCProvider 02:06 PM 06-22-2014
I have yet to hear from this family. I don't think they will show up on Tuesday. When would you attempt to make contact again if they do not show up for their next drop off?
daycare 02:30 PM 06-22-2014
I have yet to hear from this family. I don't think they will show up on Tuesday. When would you attempt to make contact again if they do not show up for their next drop off?
I would not contact them. I have in my policies that failure to contact me for 72 hours when children are expected in care will immediately cancel all services without refund.

I would pack up their crap after 72 hours and mail to them cert mail.

If you don't have that in your policy I woul email them after not showing up and ask if they will be returning. If not you will mail all of their belongings via cert mail.

Then be done with them.
aDCProvider 03:13 AM 06-24-2014
Got a text late last night that they will not be dropping their child off anymore and that the check for one week is in the mail (I know they got the term notice, since they knew to pay one week).

It seems they are trying to act like they termed me due to not mentioning the term notice I sent. I guess we will see if they signed the term letter and mailed it with the check.

How would you respond to the text?
Meyou 04:34 AM 06-24-2014
I wouldn't reply at all.
Play Care 05:21 AM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I wouldn't reply at all.

You've said what you've had to say. Let them stew.
DaisyMamma 06:23 AM 06-24-2014
Got a text late last night that they will not be dropping their child off anymore and that the check for one week is in the mail (I know they got the term notice, since they knew to pay one week).

It seems they are trying to act like they termed me due to not mentioning the term notice I sent. I guess we will see if they signed the term letter and mailed it with the check.

Excellent
MarinaVanessa 07:04 AM 06-24-2014

I wouldn't respond either. I'd wait for the check and when it comes I would take it immediately to the bank to cash it. I'd check if the term notice was in there and if it was I'd just file it. If it wasn't I'd print out another copy of it and write "refused to sign" on it. I'd also take screen shots of all of our texts and print those out and file those as well. Then I'd sit back, have a margarita and relax
craftymissbeth 07:11 AM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I wouldn't respond either. I'd wait for the check and when it comes I would take it immediately to the bank to cash it. I'd check if the term notice was in there and if it was I'd just file it. If it wasn't I'd print out another copy of it and write "refused to sign" on it. I'd also take screen shots of all of our texts and print those out and file those as well. Then I'd sit back, have a margarita and relax

Yes, and take the check to THEIR bank to cash it. That way if it's a bad check or they've put a stop payment on it you'll know immediately instead of depositing it into your account, spending the money, and then having the hassle of all that comes with that.
originalkat 08:28 AM 06-24-2014
Good. At least you are getting your money and you dont have to see them again. Sorry you had to go through this mess...especially with someone you knew.
NightOwl 05:28 AM 06-26-2014
Everything quiet with this family?
aDCProvider 10:10 AM 06-26-2014
The check came in the mail today (2 days later than I requested in my term letter but on time considering they usually pay every 4th Thursday, so I'll leave that alone). They did not include the signed term letter in the envelope.

When the check clears I was going to text both their numbers that they have until 7/10 at 5:00pm to pick up their belongings or they would be disposed of. (I just read that in my state that if you give them a reasonable amount of time to get their property and they don't, you can keep it or dispose of it if it is worth less than $300).

Does 2 weeks seem reasonable? I can't give them any longer since I would be on vacation.
deliberateliterate 11:14 AM 06-26-2014
I think that time frame sounds reasonable. I seriously can not believe that your friendship devolved so quickly and all because you sent their sick child home one time. I think you're definitely better off without them - they sound like they're a few crayons short.
aDCProvider 11:26 AM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by deliberateliterate:
I think that time frame sounds reasonable. I seriously can not believe that your friendship devolved so quickly and all because you sent their sick child home one time. I think you're definitely better off without them - they sound like they're a few crayons short.
I know!!!!! I said almost the same thing to DCM except for the crayon part .

I'm sure someone said to them that if they want to have someone care for their sick kid then they need a nanny which is what they're looking for. That's fine, go pay 3 times more than what you pay me!

I know I'm better off without them...I had been saying to my husband a few months ago and again a few weeks ago that I wish I could term because their baby was soooooo demanding of me and my time. It was nice that he bonded with me and everything, but mom thought it was so cute that he was possessive over me and jealous of my baby. Yeah, it wasn't cute or enjoyable. He would follow me around screaming until I picked him up, and would try to pull my baby out of my arms if I was within reach.

This week has been amazing without them and their attitudes.

We plan to see our friends this weekend and I'm looking forward to seeing what was said if anything. I know I'll hear about it if something is said since my friend lives gossip! Who doesn't?! I just plan to say that I unfortunately had to let them go and leave it at that. Is this acceptable or is it giving out too much info?
nannyde 11:40 AM 06-26-2014
I wouldn't say that to your friend. I would just say you adored the baby and you hope they find.the perfect care for him.
Meyou 11:41 AM 06-26-2014
I know!!!!! I said almost the same thing to DCM except for the crayon part .

I'm sure someone said to them that if they want to have someone care for their sick kid then they need a nanny which is what they're looking for. That's fine, go pay 3 times more than what you pay me!

I know I'm better off without them...I had been saying to my husband a few months ago and again a few weeks ago that I wish I could term because their baby was soooooo demanding of me and my time. It was nice that he bonded with me and everything, but mom thought it was so cute that he was possessive over me and jealous of my baby. Yeah, it wasn't cute or enjoyable. He would follow me around screaming until I picked him up, and would try to pull my baby out of my arms if I was within reach.

This week has been amazing without them and their attitudes.

We plan to see our friends this weekend and I'm looking forward to seeing what was said if anything. I know I'll hear about it if something is said since my friend lives gossip! Who doesn't?! I just plan to say that I unfortunately had to let them go and leave it at that. Is this acceptable or is it giving out too much info?
I have been through this with a friend of 15 years. I took the high road and only every said that they kids weren't a good fit for my house. She lied, gossiped and told story after story about me. In the end everyone noticed that I said very little and nothing mean while she ran her mouth. Guess who everyone believed in the long run? The high road is the harder one to take but it lets you sleep at night knowing all of your friends can see through it.
Blackcat31 02:21 PM 06-26-2014

Glad you are enjoying your week!! Sometimes you dont realize how troublesome a family is until their gone.

As far as saying anything to your friend, like I said in a previous post...be vague and professional. ALWAYS take the high road. It will NEVER come back to bite you

Tags:sunscreen
Reply Up