Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It Wrong to Change My Hours?
Core12 03:30 AM 10-31-2018
I typically work 7-535. It’s too long. I want to change my hours to 715-515 and charge late fees if not gone by 515.
My contracted hours vary by client. None of them are here by the time they indicated they needed care for (last kid says 5:20).
Also the last family who leaves just started their 2nd child here.
Am I out of line?
lovemykidstoo 04:29 AM 10-31-2018
You're not out of line. Your business, your rules. I had most of my people coming at 5:30 on the nose. I learned over time that all of them could easily be here by 5:15 based on what time they got out of work. So, now my hours are to 5:15.
Gemma 04:44 AM 10-31-2018
You have all the rights to change your hours, and your families have the option of finding alternative care if they don't like it
Cat Herder 05:37 AM 10-31-2018
Originally Posted by Gemma:
You have all the rights to change your hours, and your families have the option of finding alternative care if they don't like it
Exactly.

That said, it may be a good idea to know what hours your competition offers. 515 would be a hard sell here. 730-530 has been working great, though. Most of my competition is 6-6. I have paid my dues, though, and won't go back to those hours ever again.
Blackcat31 06:10 AM 10-31-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

That said, it may be a good idea to know what hours your competition offers. 515 would be a hard sell here. 730-530 has been working great, though. Most of my competition is 6-6. I have paid my dues, though, and won't go back to those hours ever again.
This is so true! I used to be open from 6-6 but no longer am. I feel I've "paid my dues" too and there are other providers out there that offer those hours so I know parents have choices.

I am open now 7:30-5:00 and I have one family (newest) that is here on the dot at 7:30 and barely squeaks in the door before 5:00. I do.not.like it at all and I can feel myself being more bothered by it daily.... I feel pushed.
But they are a great family just have time needs that I am not sure I can manage. We'll see.....

Years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of thinking about letting a full time, cash paying family go. Especially with a new 3 yr old but it's funny how your own personal needs change as you grow in this business.

@Core12 I agree that you have every right to change your hours but I am betting you'll be happier if you just tighten up you policies and stop letting families "steal" time from you. Enforce your contracted times and charge late fees.
Families can tighten up their schedules and start being respectful of the times they pay for.

If that doesn't solve your issues, then change your business hours.... Providers should never feel bad about doing what they need to do in order to stay sane and happy.
LittleExplorers 06:41 AM 10-31-2018
Give some advanced notice and do what you need to do! If you loose the family of 2, replace them. Sometimes it's hard to think with our heart and not our business mind when we get attached to the families, but I always remind myself me and my family come first.
Snowmom 06:44 AM 10-31-2018
Are you out of line? Not at all!

Beyond the great advice you've already gotten, I'd add: just give them ample notice and be straight forward saying "I realize this may cause conflicting schedules with some families. If this does not work for you, please submit your notice no later than X."
When you let them know termination is an option, there is less probability that anyone will pressure you to stay open later.

My hours used to be 7:30-5:30 when I started but after the initial burnout set in, I changed it to contracted hours and now I don't enroll anyone who needs hours after 4:30. I'm full- it works!
MarinaVanessa 10:27 AM 10-31-2018
Not out of line. If you can find clients that have schedules that work with those hours then go for it. Right now I do 7am-5pm for regular care hours but have one family that needed a 5:30pm pickup so I charge them an extra $20 a week on top of my regular rate so It's worth it for me and they're only 4 days a week so Fridays are light days so it works out for me. Do what works for you
Tags:change of hours and contract, hours - changing
Reply Up