Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training
gumdrops 01:21 PM 08-05-2019
I know there are a million threads out there on potty training. My questions is slightly different than the standard.

I have a 2.3 y/o and she's very interested in asking to go potty, but she never goes. At home she'll go 1-2 times/WEEK. I have another 2.5 y/o and he's pretty much potty trained, just wearing a pull up as a precaution for a few more weeks. Every time I talk with him about going potty, she wants to go. I put her on the toilet, she sits for 5 seconds, very willingly, then she's done and wants off. She has never gone at my house. I hate to discourage her and tell her no, but I am not interested in taking her potty as a game. What would you do?

I don't think they're trying very hard at home, if she wakes up dry they put her on "if she wants to" and I think that's about it. In my opinion, now is the time to hit it hard cause she's interested, but I don't think Mom and Dad are interested in the time and effort it takes.
Snowmom 02:31 PM 08-05-2019
My philosophy:
If it's not supported at home, it won't be at daycare either.
gumdrops 04:17 AM 08-06-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
My philosophy:
If it's not supported at home, it won't be at daycare either.
So when she asks, do I just say "In a little bit"? I feel bad telling a kid "no" when they ask to go to the bathroom.

Side note: My post reminded me of when I was on a class trip with my daughter when she was 14 and I asked the kids if anyone had to go "potty" She was mortified
Blackcat31 06:12 AM 08-06-2019
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
So when she asks, do I just say "In a little bit"? I feel bad telling a kid "no" when they ask to go to the bathroom.

Side note: My post reminded me of when I was on a class trip with my daughter when she was 14 and I asked the kids if anyone had to go "potty" She was mortified
Is she skilled enough to take her own pants down/up so that she could go on her own?

She can be offered the opportunity during regular toilet breaks during the day when others are using the bathroom as well.

I don't have very many kids that go outside of our scheduled breaks and those that do can do it all by themselves so they really dont need any assistance from me so there isn't alot of asking/having to say no...kwim?

I agree with Snowmom and the lack of support from home will definitely hinder the process but maybe you could help by focusing on the self help skills required so that when the support from home does come in, she'll be a step ahead of the game.
Snowmom 07:56 AM 08-06-2019
Originally Posted by gumdrops:

I understand your thought process there.

Personally, I don't start the PT process at all until all the signs of readiness are present and a good routine has been established at home first.
What is your PT policy? Do you start the process regardless of signs? Do you require that parents initiate and daycare supports?

If I were in your shoes with my own policy: I'd tell the little one: You're almost there Susie. Let's work on X first.

It's great to be curious and they learn a lot from watching (which personally I have no problem with). To me, observing the process is just as important as the readiness signs.
Why not press the issue with the parents a bit? Tell them she shows interest and it would be good for her to try at home. Then give them a copy of your policy just to reiterate what your role is.
Tags:potty training
Reply Up