Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>HOA Opposing My Wife's Licensed Childcare Home
sunilnpendse@hotmail.com 11:01 AM 08-09-2019
Hello My wife has started a licensed childcare home in Jan 2018 and is operating with 12 kids since then . A couple days back I also received a letter from my HOA stating that daycares are not allowed within the community and they are threating me of some action that could be taken against me. I thought the state and local zoning ordinances were above the HOA law but I may be wrong. My question is what actions can the HOA take against me if I start enrolling children into my home daycare and what legal resources or help are available to me as a provider.

We are in Cypress Texas.
Thank you!
hwichlaz 11:03 AM 08-09-2019
I think HOAs can do that in Texas. You signed a contract when them agreeing to follow their rules and bylaws when you bought the house. A few states, like California, protect family childcare, but I don't think Texas is one of them.
Cat Herder 11:18 AM 08-09-2019
My HOA can prevent me from operating under a large group license (12) but cannot stop me from operating as a family provider (6) as that is a protected trade (old homestead laws). The difference in having an employee (required for 12) and being a sole provider (of 6) keeps it from being considered a commercial business.

It varies by your state and county. What does your HOA contract say? Did you sign it?
sunilnpendse@hotmail.com 11:42 AM 08-09-2019
HOA 3.6.JPG

HOA 3.15.JPG

I am attaching two sections from "Declaration of covenants, conditions and restrictions of ".

Do i need to look at any other HOA documents?
Attached:
Blackcat31 12:18 PM 08-09-2019
Originally Posted by sunilnpendse@hotmail.com:
Attachment 5184

Attachment 5185

I am attaching two sections from "Declaration of covenants, conditions and restrictions of ".

Did the HOA specifically state that the rules say you can't operate a business from your home when they notified you of it being against the rules?

Asking because usually in my experience when any authority/agency tells you that you are violating a rule or regulation they include a copy of the rule or state where the rule can be found.
Cat Herder 12:36 PM 08-09-2019
I found this in case law. Mine does not use this language, it specifically uses the term "commercial business" so was easy to fight.

"It follows that the term single-family residential purpose manifests an intent that a residence not be used for residential purposes by multi-family or non-family groups. "Construing the term residential purposes employing the common and ordinary meaning of the words used, it denotes the occupying of a premises for the purpose of making it one's usual place of abode."

Mine does have the no siganage rule, but I never intended to have anything out to advertise I was home alone with several small children. Kind of defeats my goal of privacy and safety.
sammie 08:09 PM 08-11-2019
Originally Posted by sunilnpendse@hotmail.com:
Attachment 5184

Attachment 5185

In your HOA documents, does it specifically say anywhere that you are not able to operate a business?
Snowmom 06:33 AM 08-12-2019
Are you licensed?
Before contacting your HOA, I would first check with licensing in your state. Even if you're not licensed, they should be able to answer the basic question: is daycare protected against HOA rules.

In my state, in-home daycare IS a protected business. No HOA can refuse a provider doing daycare in their home.
My licensor told me when looking for homes last year, that if I came across an HOA who told me differently, to tell her and she will forward them the statutes.
Tags:ada, ada laws, americans with disabilities act, covenants, hoa, homeowners, zoning
Reply Up