Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:03 AM
HHangout

Default Boys and Girls Club Competition

Should I be concerned?
I am looking at moving to a location and opening a licensed in-home childcare but discovered that the school transports to the Boys and Girls Club. I know theyre cheap but they dont have the staff to child ratio a small childcare does. There arent other in homes or childcares immediately nearby. The income level is mixed between lower income and middle class.
The club is $30 membership, $50 month, $30 yearly bus. My center would have the going rate of $20-35 a day depending on the childs age|school day or not, and would have room for preschoolers, whereas B&GC doesnt.

Anyone have insight or knowledge?

I couldnt do another school because of the assigned school for a specific house. Obviously, no house no worries. But it is worth knowing before venturing into this. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHangout View Post
Should I be concerned?
I am looking at moving to a location and opening a licensed in-home childcare but discovered that the school transports to the Boys and Girls Club. I know theyre cheap but they dont have the staff to child ratio a small childcare does. There arent other in homes or childcares immediately nearby. The income level is mixed between lower income and middle class.
The club is $30 membership, $50 month, $30 yearly bus. My center would have the going rate of $20-35 a day depending on the childs age|school day or not, and would have room for preschoolers, whereas B&GC doesnt.

Anyone have insight or knowledge?

I couldnt do another school because of the assigned school for a specific house. Obviously, no house no worries. But it is worth knowing before venturing into this. Thanks in advance.
I don't understand what you are asking

Our B&G's club here is for school aged kids and most in home child care programs serve kids birth to school aged so there really isn't any competition between the two.

Many providers do offer care to schoolagers but they don't offer all their spaces to them so their main income is generated from the under school aged kids.

Most parents send their children to the B&G's club here because it is so inexpensive.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:10 PM
Unregistered

Im just worried parents would say "why go to you when the b&gc is here, theyre cheap" and dont know whether to be worried.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Im just worried parents would say "why go to you when the b&gc is here, theyre cheap" and dont know whether to be worried.
Oh okay... I don't know how many school aged kids you are allowed in your state but like I said above most in home child care programs make their income from the under school aged crowd. So I wouldn't worry about the B & G Club...

Unless you are planning to run a school aged only program in which case many parents appreciate the smaller ratios and tighter supervision that a licensed child care program provides.

Honestly, child care is a tough industry as it's really dependent on each individual area's care needs.

I wish you luck with your decision though and invite you to register with the forum and stick around... we are a friendly bunch with a wealth of knowledge and advice to share!
Old 07-29-2019, 02:26 PM
Daycare.com Member

I don't know too much about this but I know a few families who pulled their kids out of the school aged daycare program here to enroll in boys and girls club.

It is dirt cheap. It is not an option for every family though...My SA is still with our regular daycare due to transportation logistics.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:07 PM
Unregistered

I was thinking ages 3-12 to avoid the cribs, potty training, etc. I have a school ager and a toddler so I would want kids of both ages. 20 years experience and half with school age.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:57 PM
Daycare.com Member

Honestly, if your target age is school age you probably will have a lot of competition from the Boys & Girls Club. Many parents just look at convenience and price when choosing care, or simply can't afford to pay more.

You'd probably have less competition if you were willing to take younger ones, maybe starting at 2. But be prepared to lose them when they reach Boys & Girls Club age.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:45 PM
Unregistered

I would love to have younger kids but gettimg kids to nap and potty train are severe weak points for me. I wouldnt be strictly opposed to younger but I am not confident in those categories.

Tags
boys and girls club, competition