Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Update on Cursing Teacher

So I talked to the owner today and. She said they have to review the tape but thanks. She also said it maybe a culture thing? She said " sometimes people of different cultures act like that" the teacher is question is black. I don't think that's a different culture then other Americans. So annoyed. They're super understaffed and another lady will be leaving next week to finish up her course. I have a bad feeling. Should I quit? I also wanna note that the owner and director know the teacher in question has massive anger problems and doesn't follow the sanitary rules ( washing hands etc). They keep saying " thanks for reporting." Checks are held one week back, should I miss next week, collect this week's check and then quit? Then report them ? I don't think they're gonna fire her but idk yet. I also don't wanna be the lead teacher so if they do fire her. If they fire her, they'll make me the lead teacher.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-15-2019, 09:15 AM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So I talked to the owner today and. She said they have to review the tape but thanks. She also said it maybe a culture thing? She said " sometimes people of different cultures act like that" the teacher is question is black. I don't think that's a different culture then other Americans. So annoyed. They're super understaffed and another lady will be leaving next week to finish up her course. I have a bad feeling. Should I quit? I also wanna note that the owner and director know the teacher in question has massive anger problems and doesn't follow the sanitary rules ( washing hands etc). They keep saying " thanks for reporting." Checks are held one week back, should I miss next week, collect this week's check and then quit? Then report them ? I don't think they're gonna fire her but idk yet. I also don't wanna be the lead teacher so if they do fire her. If they fire her, they'll make me the lead teacher.
So people of black culture swear at their kids and are angry.. Wow thats offensive.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-15-2019, 10:50 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
So people of black culture swear at their kids and are angry.. Wow thats offensive.
Agree.

Lame excuse for lame management.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-15-2019, 10:59 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Agree.

Lame excuse for lame management.
yes, it is lame! A little off-topic but my niece went to the doctor for her first "pregnancy" appt and on the form where you check the box for hispanic, not hispanic, white, etc., her dh said scratch it all out and put "human". He said why do we have to classify, we are all people. True enough!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-15-2019, 11:17 AM
littlefriends's Avatar
littlefriends littlefriends is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
So people of black culture swear at their kids and are angry.. Wow thats offensive.
That’s a terrible answer!! That’s just sweeping it under the rug, too. They’re just trying to make you believe they’re listening to you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-15-2019, 11:21 AM
DaveA's Avatar
DaveA DaveA is online now
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,769
Default

HUH? That's a troubling answer on multiple levels. I'd be checking to make sure my resume's updated.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
HUH? That's a troubling answer on multiple levels. I'd be checking to make sure my resume's updated.
This is my first job. Idk where else to go. I don't have a car so I don't wanna find a job outside of town and I kinda don't wanna work in a daycare anymore. But they're are also no daycares hiring near me atm.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-15-2019, 12:25 PM
Rockgirl's Avatar
Rockgirl Rockgirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,992
Default

Wow. I don’t even know what to say to that.

Even if this did happen to be a cultural thing (which of course is BS), it is NOT okay. A cultural thing would be something like...parents getting their babies’ ears pierced when they’re very young. NOT caregivers yelling obscenities at children in their care. Nope, no way.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-15-2019, 01:51 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,784
Default

In the past when I dealt with a difficult coworker I told the manager that it was either me or her. Luckily he chose me and fired her but that is what I would be doing. If they are understaffed then they need to know that a good employee is going to quit because they are keeping the asshat around. Either way they are losing one employee so they can choose.

Also even if this was a cultural thing it does not make it appropriate for the workplace.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-15-2019, 04:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
In the past when I dealt with a difficult coworker I told the manager that it was either me or her. Luckily he chose me and fired her but that is what I would be doing. If they are understaffed then they need to know that a good employee is going to quit because they are keeping the asshat around. Either way they are losing one employee so they can choose.

Also even if this was a cultural thing it does not make it appropriate for the workplace.
My thing is they hold a check back and if i work tomorrow i would've worked 40hrs. Also they showed the lady the tapes (i'm assuming) because she came back in the room and was like, " It's so funny watching them on the cameras. I'm gonna flicker her over here because you can't see it on the camera." I wanna quit no notice and **** the check! I'm 20 and live with my mom (so no kids) and the aftercare program at my sister's school is hiring. I am going to report the place. I'm so ****ing done! but I'm also so nervous.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-15-2019, 05:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My thing is they hold a check back and if i work tomorrow i would've worked 40hrs. Also they showed the lady the tapes (i'm assuming) because she came back in the room and was like, " It's so funny watching them on the cameras. I'm gonna flicker her over here because you can't see it on the camera." I wanna quit no notice and **** the check! I'm 20 and live with my mom (so no kids) and the aftercare program at my sister's school is hiring. I am going to report the place. I'm so ****ing done! but I'm also so nervous.
RUN! any teacher that says they are gonna do somthing like that intentional out of camera view is not someone you wanna work with. I know in our classroom, their are camera blind spots, which scares me
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-15-2019, 06:28 PM
HHangout
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I like the idea of her or me. Tells you where you stand, too..

My last place (Kiddie Academy, land of mediocre staff despite the front) didnt mind much that there were 2 teachers who would be late by hours or a no show on an almost daily basis and the owner|director (husband and wife) wouldnt keep me updated on what they were doing despite me being the assistant director. Yet, they attempted to demote me even though I was doing the right things. I typed my 2 weeks right then on their computer and turned it in. They didnt even want me for the 2 weeks.

Dont be too nervous, job is a flash in the pan. Soon it wont have to be on your resume and in the meantime when you do need to put it on there you can say "no contact" when you complete applications. You have a great reason as to why if an employer asks.

Document (dates, times) and report to the licensor.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-15-2019, 07:25 PM
Rockgirl's Avatar
Rockgirl Rockgirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My thing is they hold a check back and if i work tomorrow i would've worked 40hrs. Also they showed the lady the tapes (i'm assuming) because she came back in the room and was like, " It's so funny watching them on the cameras. I'm gonna flicker her over here because you can't see it on the camera." I wanna quit no notice and **** the check! I'm 20 and live with my mom (so no kids) and the aftercare program at my sister's school is hiring. I am going to report the place. I'm so ****ing done! but I'm also so nervous.
What do you mean by “they hold a check back”?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-15-2019, 08:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgirl View Post
What do you mean by “they hold a check back”?
It means my first week I didn't get a check. on my second week i got my first week's check and so on.

Please tell me what I should do. I reported it to cps and now I don't wanna go back to the center but they're so understaffed it feels wrong on the children's part to quit.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM
CeridwenLynne's Avatar
CeridwenLynne CeridwenLynne is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 229
Default

What a terrible answer she gave you.

Cursing and swearing is NOT a cultural thing.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 9,974
Default

Even if they hold the check back, you're still entitled to what you've earned. If you're working today, I'd let them know why you won't be back Monday and they can send your check to your home address or you'll pick it up on payday. What the director is doing by accepting all this, is terrible. And the provider's lack of remorse but laughing at it is ridiculous. This is NOT quality care. I know you contacted CPS but can you also call the state dc inspector's office? They need to get this center to either close down or fire this individual. Accepting this worker's behavior is totally unacceptable.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Yesterday, 05:54 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It means my first week I didn't get a check. on my second week i got my first week's check and so on.

Please tell me what I should do. I reported it to cps and now I don't wanna go back to the center but they're so understaffed it feels wrong on the children's part to quit.
They won’t know it was you who reported...well they might figure it out but whether or not you go back is up to you. Maybe with you there you can attempt to protect the kids in some way. I would have told that woman that if she flicks any kids on my watch she will be going to jail. This is outright assault. I dunno I guess I don’t really care about being friends with people, especially people like this.

They cannot keep your check from you. You can write then a letter and request that the check be sent to your home. They are obligated to send it. At least they are where I live.

I do mot envy the position you are in but please know you are doing the right thing and it is people like you that make this world a better place. We are all supporting you
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM
HHangout
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Is it legal to secretly record her on your phone?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
employee issues, ethics, micro-aggression, policies, poor management, racism

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daycare Teacher Cursing at Kids? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 08-14-2019 08:41 PM
How Much Should You Tell Parents About Child’s Behavior??? broncomom1973 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 20 03-21-2016 01:25 PM
Should I Complain or Wait Till Last Day? sparrow Parents and Guardians Forum 6 10-05-2013 07:35 AM
Parent and Teacher Partnerships dave4him Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 05-16-2013 05:41 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming