Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contracted Hours
mema 08:01 AM 09-13-2013
Do you ever change a families hours without asking? New family started and has only arrived at their contracted time twice, all other times have been 20-30 minutes later. I have asked that they text or call if they are going to be more than 15 minutes late-they have done it once. Do you think I can just write up a new contract for 20 minutes later and have them sign it? It irks me when people don't show up on time (or within 5 minutes). On a side note, I think I'm going to get a government job-all my families that don't show up at their contracted time have worked for the government whether city or county.
Blackcat31 08:08 AM 09-13-2013
If families are dropping off BEFORE or picking up AFTER their contracted times, then I will discuss re-writing their contract so that it better fits their actual needs/useage.

If a family contracts (and pays) for a specific time and then drops off later or picks up earlier, I rarely say anything because I am being paid for the time they contracted me for....THEY are the ones missing out because they aren't using what they are paying for.

I would assume in your case, the family is putting the earlier time down because that's when they are suppose to be there but when they actually get there is different....some parents are habitually late every.single.day. and I too, often wonder how they maintain their jobs...
CedarCreek 08:31 AM 09-13-2013
Do they pay extra for the later pick up? If so, yes definitely address it with them and ask if they need a later time.

If not, id still ask just for my own purposes. I hate having a kid all ready to go and the parent is late picking up.
Blackcat31 08:35 AM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Do they pay extra for the later pick up? If so, yes definitely address it with them and ask if they need a later time.

If not, id still ask just for my own purposes. I hate having a kid all ready to go and the parent is late picking up.

I could have read it wrong but I thought she was referring to dropping off late not picking up late

I'd be a whole 'nother kind of annoyed for late pick ups.
CedarCreek 08:42 AM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I could have read it wrong but I thought she was referring to dropping off late not picking up late

I'd be a whole 'nother kind of annoyed for late pick ups.
Ah, I see that now.

Scratch that.
Margarete 09:12 AM 09-13-2013
If I was a parent and doing a 'contract time' I would make sure that the time for drop off was as early as it might be, or I might need it ( they have dropped off at that time a couple of times). I also wouldn't think to schedule in 20 minutes increments, and would be thinking in half hour blocks of time. If I usually drop off around 7:20, and occasionally a bit earlier or later, I would probably ask for contract time of 7:00am.
Do not change their hours without talking to them about it. You probably just need to have a conversation with this new family about what you expect from each other.
mema 11:24 AM 09-13-2013
Charge wise, it would be the same. I'm only open 10 hours and charge for outside of those hours if approved in advance or if they pick up after their contracted times. I just hate waiting for people. They are my first arrivals and I am not a morning person, so if I could get an extra 15 minutes, great. I'm not ready at my "opening" time because no one is contracted that early-during school breaks I'm actually still snoozing at "open". I guess I'll just have to suck it up and be ready for the time they chose even tho they will use it once every 4 weeks.
Crazy8 12:18 PM 09-13-2013
When I redid my contract I added a little blurb right under where we fill in the days/hours that says if they frequently vary from those hours that their contracted hours will be revisted and will be revised as necessary. I forget how I worded it but it sounds better than I just wrote it, LOL! So, the 7:30 arrival that never shows up till at least 7:50 will end up getting revised - I was tired of always wondering if the day I was running a little late was the ONE time they'd show up at 7:30!!!!
Willow 12:36 PM 09-13-2013
I'd write up an amendment to their original contract and hand it to them explaining that they've only used the earlier time once so you need to change it. Don't ask questions, or for their opinion about your decision, just "here you go, please sign here." Let them know that with 24 hours notice you will happily accommodate the earlier time (with whatever your fee will be for that) but that it doesn't make sense to keep it open and lose the time with your family if it's not being used.

To say I highly value my snooze button and time with my kids in the morning too is an understatement
daycare 12:43 PM 09-13-2013
I have had this issue where they were supposed to be my first morning drop off, 30 minutes before everyone else. Well in 3 months they may have dropped off one time at the time they were contracted for.

After that, I added to my parent handbook that after 3 consistent weeks of care if they are not coming at their contracted time, then I will automatically change it to the time that they are actually using it. This will help me to have a consistent set schedule each and every day.

I have one family now that just asked me to do a 7am drop off, but in the history of them being in my care for the last 2 years they have never dropped off before 8:30am. I told them if I do this and you don't show up at 7am, I will have to terminate services. Please think about it. They ended up not switching it.
awilliams123 06:20 AM 09-16-2013
In the original contract they have to fill in the time they will drop their child off and the time they will pick their child up. There is a clause that states if they do not stick to the times they wrote in their original contract, the contract will be amended to reflect the actual times they are showing up. This is especially important for the first child. Most of us get up in the morning based on the time the first child arrives. There's nothing worse than getting up a 6am because you're expecting your first child to show up at 6:30 and they don't show up until 7:30. That means you could have slept another hour! For this reason I don't hesitate to amend contracts. I have done it numerous times. It is very effective. It's your business run it the way that works best for you. Don't allow parents to run your business!
Familycare71 06:35 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by awilliams123:
In the original contract they have to fill in the time they will drop their child off and the time they will pick their child up. There is a clause that states if they do not stick to the times they wrote in their original contract, the contract will be amended to reflect the actual times they are showing up. This is especially important for the first child. Most of us get up in the morning based on the time the first child arrives. There's nothing worse than getting up a 6am because you're expecting your first child to show up at 6:30 and they don't show up until 7:30. That means you could have slept another hour! For this reason I don't hesitate to amend contracts. I have done it numerous times. It is very effective. It's your business run it the way that works best for you. Don't allow parents to run your business!
I am actually in this situation now- I am going to amend my families drop off times... I don't like waiting for people either- and yes- if I can get even 10 min more of sleep I want it!
Rachel 11:19 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by mema:
Charge wise, it would be the same. I'm only open 10 hours and charge for outside of those hours if approved in advance or if they pick up after their contracted times. I just hate waiting for people. They are my first arrivals and I am not a morning person, so if I could get an extra 15 minutes, great. I'm not ready at my "opening" time because no one is contracted that early-during school breaks I'm actually still snoozing at "open". I guess I'll just have to suck it up and be ready for the time they chose even tho they will use it once every 4 weeks.
So I guess the question would be what is the parents' benefit? If you were going to charge them less, fine, but the way I read it they are paying for you to get up early.

I totally get contract times with different rates, but I don't get people who charge the same price for everyone but have contract times (unless of course you are opened 12 hours and they can only use 10 or something).

I open at 7. Last year I had my first kid at 7:02 every day, and five here by 7:30. Let me tell you I appreciate the fact that this year my families are coming between 7:20 & 9. I am getting paid the same, but having anywhere from 20 - 40 minutes to relax, drink my coffee, and play on the computer (PAID) before the kids come.
Tags:contracted hours
Reply Up