Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hey Mom... I Am On Vacation!
Michelle 06:17 PM 12-22-2012
so I need your advice..
most of you know the hours I work and I am ON VACATION but my mom asked me if I can watch these 2 kids ages 2 and 3 for a few hours Sunday night so she can take the mom shopping.

The mom is in a shelter , there is no one else to watch them and my mom is doing this because her work has raised a bunch of money for their adopt a family for Christmas program.

So, now after writing all this I feel like a jerk and think I should do it ... BUT I"M ON VACATION!!!!

Note to self: next year.. actually leave the house for vacation.
lovemykidstoo 06:39 PM 12-22-2012
If it's for a mom that is living in a shelter I would do it definately. You will feel good inside knowing that you helped her out in her time of need.
Scout 06:39 PM 12-22-2012
I am an old softie & would probably do it...there is nothing I like more than helping otbers in need, which essentially you would be doing!
MamaG 09:17 PM 12-22-2012
If its only a couple hours I'd do it. But only a couple hours no more! I usually am not home Sundays so it'd have to be when I was available. It's nice helping others but sometimes I prefer to help myself. It's not like I get much time off. I'd prefer she come during normal bussines hours/days. I need my weekends for my kids. They are more important then anything else.
nanglgrl 10:33 PM 12-22-2012
Originally Posted by MamaG:
If its only a couple hours I'd do it. But only a couple hours no more! I usually am not home Sundays so it'd have to be when I was available. It's nice helping others but sometimes I prefer to help myself. It's not like I get much time off. I'd prefer she come during normal bussines hours/days. I need my weekends for my kids. They are more important then anything else.
I agree but I don't know if I would do it not even for 2 hours. I know I sound like a horrible person but my kids already make sacrifices because of daycare. I rarely let them have sleepovers or friends over on the weekends because truthfully I don't want to deal with some other persons kids when I'm off. As care providers most of us have that automatic response to say yes and help but let's think this out. You are going to watch 2 children who you've never met so they probably aren't going to listen the best. Their mom is in a shelter so they have probably been having a tough time lately which usually makes children even harder to deal with. This is a stressful time of year and you probably have a ton of things to get done between now and Christmas so this will just add to your stress. My children had to go shopping with me today (ages 2 and 4) because my hubby is really sick. I had to hide things that I was buying for them under my coat in the cart and call their attention to other things to get them to look away. That's the real world. Just like the parents that have the day off and bring their kids to daycare so they can wrap presents. You know when I wrap presents? At night, after my kids are asleep. Sorry for sounding so mean....5 hours out shopping with a 2 and 4 year old will do that to ya.
Scout 06:13 AM 12-23-2012
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I agree but I don't know if I would do it not even for 2 hours. I know I sound like a horrible person but my kids already make sacrifices because of daycare. I rarely let them have sleepovers or friends over on the weekends because truthfully I don't want to deal with some other persons kids when I'm off. As care providers most of us have that automatic response to say yes and help but let's think this out. You are going to watch 2 children who you've never met so they probably aren't going to listen the best. Their mom is in a shelter so they have probably been having a tough time lately which usually makes children even harder to deal with. This is a stressful time of year and you probably have a ton of things to get done between now and Christmas so this will just add to your stress. My children had to go shopping with me today (ages 2 and 4) because my hubby is really sick. I had to hide things that I was buying for them under my coat in the cart and call their attention to other things to get them to look away. That's the real world. Just like the parents that have the day off and bring their kids to daycare so they can wrap presents. You know when I wrap presents? At night, after my kids are asleep. Sorry for sounding so mean....5 hours out shopping with a 2 and 4 year old will do that to ya.
Yes, but, she could also be making a world of difference in these kids lives. She can maybe put on Christmas music, make some hot cocoa, let the kids make mom a gift...I think that would really mean the world to them to be able to give their mom something. Their life is hard right now & I think it'd be nice to show them people still care about them. After all, isn't this what Christmas is about? I am not saying you are wrong, I just see it a different way!
Michelle 06:16 AM 12-23-2012
Oh, believe me, I have been there!
It is so hard to surprise them when they are with you and shopping this time of year with that age is very hard!
Congrats on your mission!
Michelle 06:20 AM 12-23-2012
well, I guess i will do it.
I took my gates down already, super cleaned and have candles everywhere, but I will just put the candles up and play with them.
thanks guys!
lovemykidstoo 06:40 AM 12-23-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:
well, I guess i will do it.
I took my gates down already, super cleaned and have candles everywhere, but I will just put the candles up and play with them.
thanks guys!
You will have warmth in your heart for doing this. Now if it was just anyone's kids and the parents wanted you to watch the kids so they could wrap or something I would have said no, but this is a unique situation. I don't know if you mentioned how old your kids are, but what a lesson for them to help people that are in need. This poor woman is living in a shelter with her children. Other than living on the street it doesn't get worse than that and for you to help her and God bless your mom for taking her shopping. This is what Christmas is all about!!
Michelle 07:45 AM 12-23-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
You will have warmth in your heart for doing this. Now if it was just anyone's kids and the parents wanted you to watch the kids so they could wrap or something I would have said no, but this is a unique situation. I don't know if you mentioned how old your kids are, but what a lesson for them to help people that are in need. This poor woman is living in a shelter with her children. Other than living on the street it doesn't get worse than that and for you to help her and God bless your mom for taking her shopping. This is what Christmas is all about!!
oh thank you so much for responding!
I really needed this. I just give my dc kids everything I have this past week (physically exhausted).... Friday was pno and I gave 6 little kids baths and I work until 1 a.m. every day but you are right!
This is what Christmas is all about and I never thought about making mom a gift! I still have some crafts left over from last week.
What a great idea! I think we can make cookies too!
Wow, Now I am excited!
The shelter she is in is actually a Christian alternative to abortion and I love that place, so o.k. you got me excited and inspired ladies!
Thank you
lovemykidstoo 07:56 AM 12-23-2012
oh thank you so much for responding!
I really needed this. I just give my dc kids everything I have this past week (physically exhausted).... Friday was pno and I gave 6 little kids baths and I work until 1 a.m. every day but you are right!
This is what Christmas is all about and I never thought about making mom a gift! I still have some crafts left over from last week.
What a great idea! I think we can make cookies too!
Wow, Now I am excited!
The shelter she is in is actually a Christian alternative to abortion and I love that place, so o.k. you got me excited and inspired ladies!
Thank you
Aww, you just put the biggest smile on my face. I can feel the excitement in your post. Those kids are going to be so excited and I bet that mom is going to cry tears of happiness when the kids give her the crafts that you help them make. You are God's angel!!!
MamaBearCanada 08:08 AM 12-23-2012
You and your Mom are the best gift this mom and her kids are going to get this year! Nothing replaces the feeling of being valued and cared for. Blessings to you. I know this will make for a very special Christmas all around.
Michelle 08:09 AM 12-23-2012
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
You and your Mom are the best gift this mom and her kids are going to get this year! Nothing replaces the feeling of being valued and cared for. Blessings to you. I know this will make for a very special Christmas all around.

lovemykidstoo 08:14 AM 12-23-2012
please let us know how it goes!!
Michelle 09:11 AM 12-23-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
please let us know how it goes!!
o.k. I will
Blackcat31 01:58 PM 12-23-2012
Instead of providing child care services to them, why not bring them on an outing such as a matinee or maybe to McDonalds or a park or something and call it an outing for some kids who are in need and look at it as something fun and SUPER nice you did for someone else instead of "working". kwim?
Michelle 03:58 PM 12-23-2012
I was actually going to take them to Disneyland because we had planned to go tonight, ( we have passes and they would get in for free) but we thought it would scare them because they don't know us.
So, we are just going to stay here and make cookies and crafts.

And we are going to DL tomorrow instead.
Michelle 04:35 PM 12-23-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Instead of providing child care services to them, why not bring them on an outing such as a matinee or maybe to McDonalds or a park or something and call it an outing for some kids who are in need and look at it as something fun and SUPER nice you did for someone else instead of "working". kwim?
I know what you mean..it's just I had a very difficult week and I only get a one vacation a year... we just had to do some rearranging with our plans and I am excited to do it now.
Scout 05:45 PM 12-23-2012

I am so glad you decided to do this!! I couldn't help but, hope that you would. You sounded as though you have a good heart & really wanted to help...I am glad that you took my idea about the gift too! There is nothing I like more than gifts my ds makes!! You have shown this family the true spirit of Christmas! Let us know how it goes.
wdmmom 05:54 PM 12-23-2012
Are Sunday nights normal business hours? If not, I wouldnt do it.
daycarediva 06:18 AM 12-24-2012
YES! I took my 4 kids out with me ALL DAY shopping and distracted them as much as possible and had the cashier hide things, etc. No I wouldn't give up my very little vacation/family time for anyone.
Michelle 08:23 AM 12-24-2012
went really well..made cookies and photo snow globes with the cuties and mom was thrilled.
thanks everyone!
Reply Up