Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCK Lied To Their Parent About Me
hgonzalez 05:01 PM 01-03-2013
I have a family that is leaving me to go to a 'cheaper' place and also because they don't want to deal with their child's aggressive behavior.
Tomorrow is their last day. I was actually going to term them as soon as I got a replacement family because of the toddler's issues.

There are two kids, a toddler and a 5 year old. Today the 5 year old, at dropoff, turned and said to her Dad 'She is so excited because she won't have take care of my brother anymore, she thinks he is so mean!' (she was referring to me).

I have never said anything like that and called her on it in front of her Dad. I said 'I am never excited when someone is leaving, I am sad, and I don't like that you said that.' He Dad chuckled and said 'yeah, right'.

Truth is...I am glad they are leaving. But I would never ever say anything like that in front of the kids. She has lied here before about quite a few things to do with her parents. I should probably just let it go as they are leaving anyway, but it made me so mad.

I always have a hard time when someone leaves, I feel bitter about it. I have made so many accomodations for these people then I get kicked in the behind. They pay less than everyone else and on top of that, I pay someone to walk the 5 year old Kindergarten because she is so spacey and does not understand stranger danger. How do you get past the feeling of bitterness towards people that leave?
momofboys 05:17 PM 01-03-2013
Sorry you have to deal with that, it can be hard to not let some things go. I termed a family this summer and it went sour quickly, they may have left had I not termed but they were so nasty to me it was hard for me to u derstand. However, now 7 months later I am still reminding myself that if I need to just let it go & be happy with the GOOD things I have and not dwell on the negative way they treated me. It isn't easy, I know and can be downright frustrating and upsetting. Sorry they are treating you poorly
Nellie 05:29 PM 01-03-2013
With my personality I have to just let things go. Remember the positives with the situation. You wanted to term, child was not good for group, ect.
While you may have never verbally said anything of the sort, kids pick on how we feel and are intuitive. I'm assuming that toddler has been redirected, time out, and talks with parents about his mean behavior. She just tried putting two and two together.
e.j. 07:39 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by hgonzalez:
How do you get past the feeling of bitterness towards people that leave?
I don't know who said it but I try to keep this quote in mind: “Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.” This family probably won't give the situation another thought after they walk out your door for the last time. Why should you? Any bitterness you hold on to will only affect you - not them.

I know it hurts when you go above and beyond for a family that doesn't seem to appreciate it but cut your losses, appreciate the fact that their kids' behavior issues won't be your problem any more. You will find another family or two to fill those spots and at your regular rate instead of at a discount. You will no longer be paying for someone to walk a child to school. That's a lot of postive to focus on! Good luck tomorrow.
MamaG 08:41 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by hgonzalez:
I have a family that is leaving me to go to a 'cheaper' place and also because they don't want to deal with their child's aggressive behavior.
Tomorrow is their last day. I was actually going to term them as soon as I got a replacement family because of the toddler's issues.

There are two kids, a toddler and a 5 year old. Today the 5 year old, at dropoff, turned and said to her Dad 'She is so excited because she won't have take care of my brother anymore, she thinks he is so mean!' (she was referring to me).

I have never said anything like that and called her on it in front of her Dad. I said 'I am never excited when someone is leaving, I am sad, and I don't like that you said that.' He Dad chuckled and said 'yeah, right'.

Truth is...I am glad they are leaving. But I would never ever say anything like that in front of the kids. She has lied here before about quite a few things to do with her parents. I should probably just let it go as they are leaving anyway, but it made me so mad.

I always have a hard time when someone leaves, I feel bitter about it. I have made so many accomodations for these people then I get kicked in the behind. They pay less than everyone else and on top of that, I pay someone to walk the 5 year old Kindergarten because she is so spacey and does not understand stranger danger. How do you get past the feeling of bitterness towards people that leave?
I've always terminated before anybody left me. Just be happy they are going and you can stop thinking about the intire bunch of liars.
DaisyMamma 09:17 AM 01-04-2013
IME so far no daycare family ever appreciates anything extra you do for them. So, why bother?
I do tend to feel bitter and would also be mad, but in the end it doesn't help at all. Like a pp said, they won't think about it for another minute after they leave, so why should you?
daycare 09:28 AM 01-04-2013
this is going to come off as sounding so bitter, but I feel in my heart of hearts that this job is the most THANKLESS job in the world.

AND for that reason, this is why I stopped doing any kind of special for the families.

I will do special things here and there, but only when I feel like I want to because the family has earned it. BUt then again, I don't always do it just because and hardly ever do I offer it up.

I would just let it go. It does stink that the kid is like this, but no need to try to change what is no longer going to be your issue. I would make sure to send them off with a nice home made card from all of the daycare kids and sign your name to it as well... I always do this regardless of the reason the child leaves care. Why? well most of the time it's not the kids fault, it's the parents....
hgonzalez 09:59 AM 01-04-2013
Well, half of the day is gone.

The little guy that's leaving came right upstairs this morning and proceeded to stick his finger right in a baby's eye that was sitting in a saucer. His Dad was standing there, saw the whole thing and just said 'be gentle'. Then the kid ran over and tipped over the bin of toys that was sitting in the middle of the floor.

I am so tired of dealing with this....I cannot wait for it to be over.

Smiling at the possibiity of getting a nice new family!
Tags:fibber, lie
Reply Up