Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Send Home or Not..
Unregistered 07:01 AM 10-17-2013
Hello,

I read the posts all the time (I should register) but I can't see myself doing this for very long. I have a dkb that came on Tuesday and had two blow outs.. I didn't send him home because the last one was about 30 minutes before pick up. When the dad came to get him I mentioned it to him and he said "Oh yeah he was doing that all weekend.." Great thanks!.. Wednesday and it happens again.. This time I called the mom and let her know that it was still happening but he was acting fine. She said she changed his food and he should be fine now?.. Anyways today comes around and now my son is having blow outs... I am at my wits end surrounded by poop! If dkb does it again today would you send him home after just one?

Thanks!!

(Reason I can't see myself doing this very long.. I cant stand smells and textures.. my own kids I can handle.. for some reason for others I am gagging and holding my breath and trying not to be sick..) Never have I ever been more appreciative for daycare centers/homes! I think every parent should walk a day in our shoes to get an idea of what it is like!!
Unregistered 07:29 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello,

I read the posts all the time (I should register) but I can't see myself doing this for very long. I have a dkb that came on Tuesday and had two blow outs.. I didn't send him home because the last one was about 30 minutes before pick up. When the dad came to get him I mentioned it to him and he said "Oh yeah he was doing that all weekend.." Great thanks!.. Wednesday and it happens again.. This time I called the mom and let her know that it was still happening but he was acting fine. She said she changed his food and he should be fine now?.. Anyways today comes around and now my son is having blow outs... I am at my wits end surrounded by poop! If dkb does it again today would you send him home after just one?

Thanks!!

(Reason I can't see myself doing this very long.. I cant stand smells and textures.. my own kids I can handle.. for some reason for others I am gagging and holding my breath and trying not to be sick..) Never have I ever been more appreciative for daycare centers/homes! I think every parent should walk a day in our shoes to get an idea of what it is like!!
It sounds like it might be rotavirus. My little one got it from church earlier this year. Thankfully it didn't spread to anyone else.
nanglgrl 07:45 AM 10-17-2013
I would send home but I send children home after one blowout. Between my 4 children, my niece and nephew that lived with me and the 100's of daycare kids I've watched over the years Ive never had a child just have 1 blowout and be fine after. I'm sure it does happen Ive just never personally seen a child have one blowout and then not have more or get sick later.
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I would send home but I send children home after one blowout. Between my 4 children, my niece and nephew that lived with me and the 100's of daycare kids I've watched over the years Ive never had a child just have 1 blowout and be fine after. I'm sure it does happen Ive just never personally seen a child have one blowout and then not have more or get sick later.

Yep, one blow out and they go home.

Also, if a parent brought their child to me on Monday and failed to tell me they had had diarrhea all weekend, I'd term.

Anyone with diarrhea must not have had an incident within 24 hours of needing care or they are excluded.
jenn 09:41 AM 10-17-2013
Home and home until symptom free for at least 24 hours. My rule for myself is, better safe than sorry. If I have any doubt, I send home. I would rather send home a healthy child with a illness symptom, than keep a child with an illness symptom and expose myself and the other children.
momofboys 09:56 AM 10-17-2013
One blowout & home you are going. I would let them know in advance if it happens again he can not attend & you WILL call for pick-up. Hope your child is feeling better.
TwinKristi 10:03 AM 10-17-2013
Yeah I have the more than 1 rule here. If they have 1 I will let parents know and watch closely but if they have another they go home because it's more than just an isolated incident. I don't think it's Rotovirus going around, but another virus that's causing diarrhea. One boy I have had it 3 times in a matter of an hour before his grandma could get him. The first time was a full on explosion and required a bath, full clothing change and sanitizing toys, thank God my dh was still home. But anyway, I sent him home and he didn't have diarrhea again all day but ended up with a fever all night and more diarrhea in the AM so he didn't come back until Monday and was fine. I'm glad I sent him home right away though and didn't risk it.
Unfortunately if this has been going on since the weekend and we're on Thursday plus your child has it... You've gone beyond the point of containing it. He should have been sent home after the first incident and not returned until the diarrhea was done for 24hrs plus parents should have had an earful for not letting you know in advance. I would let them know this is a warning but let them know your child plus who knows how many others are sick as well. This can't happen in the future or they'll be term'd.
Shell 10:11 AM 10-17-2013
Absolutely send home, and I agree with previous poster that he should have been sent home before, too. Don't you just love when you know a kid is sick and contagious, parents know it too, but pretend it's the "food " they ate?! This was inconsiderate on their part, and it stinks that your own child has it now. I would let them know that if this happens again for any reason, including diet, that you will send home for the sake of everyone enrolled. I completely understand your feelings about poop -it 's one part of the job I don't think I will ever get used to!
Tags:blow outs, diarrhea policy
Reply Up