Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sore Throat
Unregistered 06:21 AM 08-08-2018
Would you allow a child with a sore throat in daycare? She has no other symptoms but every once in a while tells me her throat hurts. Her mom knows because she said it right in front of her at drop off. I was caught off guard and didn’t know what to say. I have an illness policy in my handbook but just noticed it doesn’t address sore throats. For those who don’t allow it, how long would she be excluded? Sore throats can sometimes last a while.
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 08-08-2018
I too have an illness policy but it does not address every single symptom a child might possibly have.

Instead it says any child with any unexplained illness or condition that is not normal would be excluded

A sore throat would be considered not normal so I would exclude until she is seen a doctor and they have ruled out any contagious illness or virus
Josiegirl 03:16 PM 08-08-2018
If a child is acting fine and isn't running a fever, I'd let them come. But if there are other signs of the child feeling less than wonderful, I'd be much more reluctant in taking them. Sometimes a sore throat is merely post nasal drip from a cold and I can't imagine not accepting children with a cold, unless they're acting poorly.
hwichlaz 04:44 PM 08-08-2018
We all have sore throats right now...because our air is pretty unbreathable from smoke.

If that's the only symptom, I'd not exclude. It's pretty typical here that it's caused by running the AC all night, or sleeping with mouth open.
Tags:sore throat
Reply Up