Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Really Being Able To "Call In Sick" When You Need To
sahm2three 07:15 AM 04-12-2011
I am so sick right now. I had my assistant come yesterday and take care of the kids while I laid in bed, but assistant couldn't come today, so here I am with a house full of kids. I had three who had terrible colds with coughs last week and I am MISERABLE. I ran a fever most of the day yesterday and coughed uncontrollably. I feel a bit better today, but if I were at any other job, I would have called in sick. I sent out a warning text to all of my families last night that I wouldn't be able to have my assistant come today and was unsure whether I would feel up to caring for the kids and got a bunch of responses like, "I have no pto built up yet so I don't have any other choice than to bring x" or "what am I supposed to do on such short notice?!" WELL, as per my PHB, they are ALL supposed to have backup care in place so that when things like this happen they are covered. This is no ones fault but my own. I should have just told them I was closing. So, it is movie day today. I am doing nothing educational today (other than an educational video here or there!) and it is supposed to be in the 50's today and we MAY go outside if *I* feel like it. Ugh. This is definately one of the pitfalls of in home daycare!
PitterPatter 07:24 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I am so sick right now. I had my assistant come yesterday and take care of the kids while I laid in bed, but assistant couldn't come today, so here I am with a house full of kids. I had three who had terrible colds with coughs last week and I am MISERABLE. I ran a fever most of the day yesterday and coughed uncontrollably. I feel a bit better today, but if I were at any other job, I would have called in sick. I sent out a warning text to all of my families last night that I wouldn't be able to have my assistant come today and was unsure whether I would feel up to caring for the kids and got a bunch of responses like, "I have no pto built up yet so I don't have any other choice than to bring x" or "what am I supposed to do on such short notice?!" WELL, as per my PHB, they are ALL supposed to have backup care in place so that when things like this happen they are covered. This is no ones fault but my own. I should have just told them I was closing. So, it is movie day today. I am doing nothing educational today (other than an educational video here or there!) and it is supposed to be in the 50's today and we MAY go outside if *I* feel like it. Ugh. This is definately one of the pitfalls of in home daycare!
I hope u get well soon! Oh and that the kids are all easy going today
dEHmom 07:26 AM 04-12-2011
seriously, I felt like that, I took 2000 mg echinacea 3 times a day, and the max dose of vitamin c and I was better after 1 day.
Zoe 07:41 AM 04-12-2011
I'm so sorry you feel like that! A few months ago I was just feeling so awful. It turned out to be the flu, but I wasn't aware of it the first day. So I texted my dcm and told her that I was feeling awful but staying open. I told her we were having a movie day because I really couldn't do anything else and for her to bring the kids in their jammies and any videos they wanted to watch.

I put the kids on the floor with mats and blankets, gave them popcorn, and "died" on the couch the rest of the day.

I hope you feel better soon!
SilverSabre25 07:43 AM 04-12-2011
Yuck, hope you feel better soon! I am lucky that DH can call off for half a day when I need him too--by the time he needs to go back to work it's naptime and they dcks all go home shortly after getting up from nap. I can usually manage that on my own, lol.
missnikki 07:48 AM 04-12-2011
I would get through today, and follow up soon with a gentle reminder of your policies on closing when sick. They need a nudge during flu season because, well, their kids like to share.
sahm2three 08:00 AM 04-12-2011
Not going so well. My 1 yo colicky guy is super fussy today and coughing and clingy with snot just pouring out of his nose. Then my 20 month old little guy is coughing and fell asleep on the couch watching the movie. He seems miserable, but neither boys have a fever. Ugh. I just don't have the energy to take care of sick kiddos.
dEHmom 08:02 AM 04-12-2011
call the dcps to pick up. Inform them that in order for you to recover quickly and be available for the next few days they need to let you rest. If you do not rest today, you will be closed tomorrow and possibly the next day.
MG&Lsmom 08:03 AM 04-12-2011
I hope you feel better. I've been sick for a week but had been struggling through every day. Yesterday I couldn't even bend forward an inch without blinding pain in my sinuses. I made an Urgent Care appointment for last night and told my parents at pick up that I was closing today because I could not safely care for their children in this condition. They all got to stay home from their jobs during the last 2 weeks when they were sick and sent their mildly sick children here so they could rest. It's only fair when they were the ones that brought it here.
JenNJ 09:01 AM 04-12-2011
I only called out sick once in years of daycare. It was in December and I had a nasty virus that forced me to be within 15 feet of the toilet at all times.

Honestly, you can't send open ended conversations like that. That is asking for feedback. You TELL them "I am sick today and will be closed as per the handbook. See you bright and early XXday!"
countrymom 09:59 AM 04-12-2011
I feel yucky today too, sort of a sore throat no energy thing. It must be the weather change, just a couple more hours and everyone goes home.
daycare 10:04 AM 04-12-2011
So sorry that you are not feeling well. I know tht even with a moive day, it is still a lot of work for you.

If I were you, I would be sending out a freindly reminder to all parents reminding them that it is your PHB and is their responsibility to have back up care for their children. Life happends and there are things that are out of our control. Don't let the parents make you feel bad becuase they don't have back up care.... Should you get more sick, then you will have to close the DC for possibily even longer than if you were just able to close the one day and get the time to rest and feel better....

hope you feel better soon..
dEHmom 10:22 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I feel yucky today too, sort of a sore throat no energy thing. It must be the weather change, just a couple more hours and everyone goes home.
do as I suggested, I am telling you do it now before it gets ya!!!!!! thats what happened to me!
SandeeAR 10:59 AM 04-12-2011
When my kiddos start passing around ANYTHING, I hit the echinacea. I credit it to my not getting anything as they passed, runny noses, ear infections, croup and RSV this winter.
ammama 11:13 AM 04-12-2011
Cancelling due to illness sucks. I'm lucky that my families are all very understanding, because i've had 3 nasty stomach bugs hit me this year. I can't watch kids when i'm vomiting, no getting around that. I've taken more sick days this winter than in the last 3 years combined

I hope you feel better - and if the dck's are really snotty and coughing too, I would call the parents to pick up.
Missani 11:24 AM 04-12-2011
Feel better! I know how miserable it is because I'm right there with you! I don't think I've been this sick in years, and it's horrible. I normally am the "oh I'm fine, it'll be okay" kind of girl who would never think of closing for anything, and I actually contemplated sending them all home for the afternoon. Yuck! Normally my husband would stay home to help me, too, but his boss is on vacation and there is no way he can. I really don't know how I made it through yesterday much less trying to do today. Thank goodness for nap time, huh? I hope they are all sleeping for you!

My kids all have it too, but they seem much less miserable and still full of energy. It is almost impossible to take care of sick kids and be sick at the same time. They all have the same super stuffy voice, runny yellow noses, and fevers in the 99.8-100.4 range. Too bad my illness policy is 101! Yesterday I took everyone's temp...just to see if anyone needed to go home.

Enjoy your movie day (what's left of it). I contemplated doing it, too, but since we have NEVER watched TV/movies here, I felt like I would have to ask for permission. I decided I didn't want to do that, so we just carried on with a lower key day. Impressively, I still completed most of our regular activities, too. We did go outside this morning, and it is beautiful. I honestly felt a ton better outside, so it might be worth it for you.

Good luck and feel a ton better soon!
Missani 10:49 AM 04-13-2011
Just wanted to say, sahm2three, that I hope you are feeling a lot better today or that you are closed and are enjoying a nice nap!
Tags:assistant, call in sick, sick provider
Reply Up