Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At What Age Do You Start CIO??
My Lil' Monkeys 12:28 PM 07-03-2012
I'm just wondering at what age do you start CIO? or another way to get an infant to take a nap?

What is the MAX time you'll allow a baby to cry before getting them up?

What do you do if under 6 months and they sleep like 10 mins and get up? Do you get them up immediately or wait?

Sorry, lots of questions
cheerfuldom 12:37 PM 07-03-2012
How young are we talking? by about 4 months, i know the kids and their schedule pretty well. I start putting them on a consistent routine. I always do darkened room with white noise for napping. I know some providers vary on this but I personally swaddle kids and offer a paci, no motion or swings to sleep, just wrap them up and lay them down. Then I put them to nap. IF they start crying, I will always hesitate for a minute or two since by then, I know their cries really well. If they persist, I will peek in and do a quick paci check or poke at the diaper to make sure baby is still dry and clean but I never let them get up and awake. We continue to try napping for the whole part of that routine where they should be napping. With kids under 6 months, I usually just put them on naps at 9, 12 and 3 unless parents have a specific other plan. Around 6 months but sometimes older, they start transitioning to two longer naps a day and it will end up being something like 9 and 1 for naps. As for CIO, I never do hard core CIO with young ones. I always check on them, I always have them feed and dry, I always make sure that the environment is conducive to sleep, I always make sure they are on an age appropriate routine. Now it seems that usually around 9 or 10 months, definitely by one year, they all try the nap strikes and at that point, yes, I would just put them down and let them cry the whole nap time. Never had a kid last more than a week or two without getting back on routine and back to napping. I do still peek in on them but they dont get fussed over like an infant would.
My Lil' Monkeys 12:46 PM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
How young are we talking? by about 4 months, i know the kids and their schedule pretty well. I start putting them on a consistent routine. I always do darkened room with white noise for napping. I know some providers vary on this but I personally swaddle kids and offer a paci, no motion or swings to sleep, just wrap them up and lay them down. Then I put them to nap. IF they start crying, I will always hesitate for a minute or two since by then, I know their cries really well. If they persist, I will peek in and do a quick paci check or poke at the diaper to make sure baby is still dry and clean but I never let them get up and awake. We continue to try napping for the whole part of that routine where they should be napping. With kids under 6 months, I usually just put them on naps at 9, 12 and 3 unless parents have a specific other plan. Around 6 months but sometimes older, they start transitioning to two longer naps a day and it will end up being something like 9 and 1 for naps. As for CIO, I never do hard core CIO with young ones. I always check on them, I always have them feed and dry, I always make sure that the environment is conducive to sleep, I always make sure they are on an age appropriate routine. Now it seems that usually around 9 or 10 months, definitely by one year, they all try the nap strikes and at that point, yes, I would just put them down and let them cry the whole nap time. Never had a kid last more than a week or two without getting back on routine and back to napping. I do still peek in on them but they dont get fussed over like an infant would.
Just turned 4 months this week. I'm wondering if the swaddling blanket is allowed in my state. As, I'm not allowed to place anything but the baby in a pnp.

I've never had to do CIO before as my group has been a 1 yr and up. I got my first infant a couple months ago and I have figured out all of his crys and I've got the hang on what he needs to keep him happy but I just can't get him to sleep (unless in my arms) for like 10 mins. So, today I put him in a pnp and let him cry...4 mins later and he was out! He slept 1 1/2 hrs. But I didn't know if 4 months was to young for CIO...
cheerfuldom 12:49 PM 07-03-2012
I wouldnt worry at all about letting him fuss for 4 minutes.....that is not even CIO in my book. Most kids need something to transition from awake to asleep, either fussing/sucking/motion/patting. It would be weird if you just laid him down and he instantly closed his eyes and fell into a deep sleep, you know?
Heidi 12:53 PM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by My Lil' Monkeys:
Just turned 4 months this week. I'm wondering if the swaddling blanket is allowed in my state. As, I'm not allowed to place anything but the baby in a pnp.

I've never had to do CIO before as my group has been a 1 yr and up. I got my first infant a couple months ago and I have figured out all of his crys and I've got the hang on what he needs to keep him happy but I just can't get him to sleep (unless in my arms) for like 10 mins. So, today I put him in a pnp and let him cry...4 mins later and he was out! He slept 1 1/2 hrs. But I didn't know if 4 months was to young for CIO...
No, you did fine...4 minutes is not "CRY IT OUT". If he hadn't been asleep after 4-6 minutes, I would have gone in, patted him, and said "it's time to sleep" very quietly, then gone back out. Next time, 6-8 minutes. The idea is to let them know that you there, that you are confident they are ok, and that YOU know they need sleep, even if they dont. It's also important when doing this to create some sort of sleep associations. A blanket (if allowed), a short snuggle, a kiss on the nose, or a certain song. A mini-routine. At 4 months, most children can be nudged gently into a schedule, and I think they are happier for it. Nothing hard-core, just eat-play-sleep at reasonably similar times each day.
Tags:cio, cry it out
Reply Up