Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tired Child
TXhomedaycare 07:37 AM 11-29-2016
I have a new 2 yo dcb that just finished his 2 weeks and everything has been going great (this is his first time in childcare). Last week his mom and grandmother started to say he is not sleeping at night and he is very tired at drop off. Now he cries most of the morning because he is tired and I really don't anywhere for him to sleep plus I know he won't sleep during nap time when the others are sleep and he will not be quite. Should I send him home or just let him be fussy all morning? Sometimes he sleeps with mom or grandma and his mom said he tries to stay up with his 6 year old brother and I think he runs the show at home. What should I do with this child? (I hope this is a phase but if not the sleepy crying has to stop for everyone's sake )
AmyKidsCo 08:16 AM 11-29-2016
Why won't he sleep at nap time? I'd think if he's that tired he might be more likely to fall asleep at nap time. Especially if everyone else is napping and there's nothing exciting going on.
JackandJill 09:10 AM 11-29-2016
I do send home kids who can't settle in after 2.5 hours (I include this in my sick policy). Parents must pick up within 30 mins. I don't think it is fair to anyone to have to listen or be that upset for that long.

If it is a pattern of behavior, and I have to send home 3 times, I then ask for a sit down to come up with a plan of action so that we can avoid terming. I try to explain to parents they are doing their child a huge disservice when they don't prepare their child for daycare for the following day. In this situation it would mean a regular schedule, a good sleep environment, nutritious dinner, and lots and lots of play time with mom and dad before bed!

I also feel like sending kids home early is the only way most parents understand how disruptive the behavior is. Just telling them at pick up never seems to get the point across.

Good luck!
TXhomedaycare 09:20 AM 11-29-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Why won't he sleep at nap time? I'd think if he's that tired he might be more likely to fall asleep at nap time. Especially if everyone else is napping and there's nothing exciting going on.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. If I let him sleep earlier than everyone else he won't sleep during nap time. I figured most responses would be to ask if I have anywhere he can quietly nap in the morning but I really don't have anywhere and I don't want him to sleep early since regular nap time will be a problem. He currently sleeps great during nap but the crying until we get to that time is the problem. After lunch I usually let him go to sleep early while the others play quietly. He is the youngest in my group of 7 kids. Thanks
Annalee 10:01 AM 11-29-2016
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. If I let him sleep earlier than everyone else he won't sleep during nap time. I figured most responses would be to ask if I have anywhere he can quietly nap in the morning but I really don't have anywhere and I don't want him to sleep early since regular nap time will be a problem. He currently sleeps great during nap but the crying until we get to that time is the problem. After lunch I usually let him go to sleep early while the others play quietly. He is the youngest in my group of 7 kids. Thanks
I have a 15 month old like this....he is so tired in the morning so I do just as you putting him on his cot an hour before the others lay down but he sleeps the entire nap time....most days the last one up. I have told his parents (that are sleeping with him) that although he is sleeping at night, he is NOT RESTING. He needs to be in his own bed. They are aware of what I do during the day to accommodate him and myself....he doesn't cry all the time, just is very tired. Good luck to you!
Jupadia 10:43 AM 11-29-2016
It might just be the age as well I've had a few around that age (and do now dcb 17 months) who still needs two naps a day. My oldest was like this at first as well. You may have to talk with the parents yes once he adjusts to sleeping on his own at night he may do better and sleep for longer. But it will take time as well your going to have to hope that the parents actually do so. I'm lucky I have a seperated space fir mine to do a morning nap.
TXhomedaycare 11:19 AM 11-29-2016
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
It might just be the age as well I've had a few around that age (and do now dcb 17 months) who still needs two naps a day. My oldest was like this at first as well. You may have to talk with the parents yes once he adjusts to sleeping on his own at night he may do better and sleep for longer. But it will take time as well your going to have to hope that the parents actually do so. I'm lucky I have a seperated space fir mine to do a morning nap.
This crossed my mind but his mom put on his about my child form that he sometimes took a nap (about an hour) and she confirmed at enrollment which I thought was weird but I see more and more kids that don't take naps. I will get with mom and see what has changed.
Annalee 07:17 PM 11-29-2016
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
This crossed my mind but his mom put on his about my child form that he sometimes took a nap (about an hour) and she confirmed at enrollment which I thought was weird but I see more and more kids that don't take naps. I will get with mom and see what has changed.
The reason the kids in my care don't take naps on weekends is because they sleep with their parents and the child will not lay down without their parent....parents are amazed at how Johnny will lay on his cot at nap for ms.xxxx. If I can do it, they can do it, but they won't....my daycare kids are moved to a cot when they are 12 months old, but even my babies in packnplays lay down for nap.....I like to think I have a talent but it's really just making the child understand this is what we do at this time....and they do it......a no-brainer Sure it takes much rinse and repeating sometimes but it works!
Ariana 08:18 AM 11-30-2016
Co-sleeping is the WORST! It is fine for a very young infant but once that child hits 4 months they need their own sleep space. Sleeping with mom and grandma needs to stop asap. I had a 2 yr old that slept with mom and his infant brother and would come here and sleep 5 hours a day! He would come in and basically cry and roll around on the floor (there were some developmental delays as well) until I put him in his bed and he would sleep from 10am-3pm. No matter what I said the mom refused to stop sleeping with him because she was more interested in being "granola" than in her childs development. I even sent her a 10 minute video!

I would have a long chat with mom about the behavior, your solutions to the problem and the termination date if things don't improve.
daycarediva 09:10 AM 11-30-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
The reason the kids in my care don't take naps on weekends is because they sleep with their parents and the child will not lay down without their parent....parents are amazed at how Johnny will lay on his cot at nap for ms.xxxx. If I can do it, they can do it, but they won't....my daycare kids are moved to a cot when they are 12 months old, but even my babies in packnplays lay down for nap.....I like to think I have a talent but it's really just making the child understand this is what we do at this time....and they do it......a no-brainer Sure it takes much rinse and repeating sometimes but it works!

In addition- they never instituted a sleep schedule, they have no consistency in scheduling, and no discipline.

When my kids were little, nap and bedtime were sacred, even on weekends. No, we aren't staying up 2 hours late on Saturday in the hopes they would 'sleep in'. No, we aren't running around in the afternoons when they should be napping, etc.

Parents just don't parent.
Ariana 09:37 AM 11-30-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

In addition- they never instituted a sleep schedule, they have no consistency in scheduling, and no discipline.

When my kids were little, nap and bedtime were sacred, even on weekends. No, we aren't staying up 2 hours late on Saturday in the hopes they would 'sleep in'. No, we aren't running around in the afternoons when they should be napping, etc.

This x100000!!!

Just like you wouldn't skip meals why do parents think it is ok to skip sleep?
Annalee 09:37 AM 11-30-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

Totally agree! Our Family Holiday lunches are always at 12. My sons napped from 11:30 - 2:00 just like daycare naptime...They missed Holiday lunches until they entered school.
Reply Up