Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dirty Diaper During Nap
Silly Songs 07:11 PM 09-19-2017
If a child soils a diaper during nap( poop ) do you wake them up to change them or let them sleep ? There is a teacher in my room who doesn't wake them if I'm not there. They end up with a rash and are cranky the rest of the day. I always wake them to change them. What do you do ?
HappyEverAfter 07:18 PM 09-19-2017
I don't wake them but if they are still awake I will change them and then put them back down. Diapers are changed just before nap time and I always use Desitin as a barrier cream. Diapers are then changed again right after naps (2hrs). Never once had an issue with diaper rash or irritated skin and my one year old poops every single day during nap time. The one time I did wake a child up to change them it was more of a disruption than anything helpful. Couldn't get her to go back to sleep because in her mind, I woke her up so nap time must be over. Never again.
Baby Beluga 08:07 PM 09-19-2017
I always wake.
hwichlaz 10:07 PM 09-19-2017
Mostly yes, but I have one child that has really well formed hard poops and they don't cause a rash, they don't even leave marks on his skin, lol. But if I wake him up he's inconsolable. So that child I leave. Luckily it's not a regular occurrence.
Rockgirl 01:25 AM 09-20-2017
It doesn't happen often here, but when it does, I change them. Sometimes they sleep right through being changed. I just can't stand the thought of them laying in poop for possibly a couple of hours.
Jupadia 03:12 AM 09-20-2017
I'll let them sleep. If I know that child is prone to rashes I'll put on a barrier cream or Vasa line . If I wake one all will wake. So not going to happen.
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 09-20-2017
...this was a rather controversial post topic a while back so....

I always wake.
I would never leave a child in a soiled diaper.
Sleeping or not. Ever.
KiwiKids 06:28 AM 09-20-2017
I wake then and change them and it happens about once a week with one of the kids. Luckily she goes right back to sleep after.
storybookending 07:40 AM 09-20-2017
This has only happened to me a few times here so far. My niece did it for a good two week long period. Although most times she wasn't yet asleep before I caught her. I took her out to change her and a few times had to move her sleeping (sometimes stayed asleep, sometimes not) to change her. This kid had periods of wicked diaper rash, had a doctor prescribed creme and everything. The 1 yr old in my care has done it once just a week or so ago and it woke him, rock hard poops always. I changed him and put him back down.
Cat Herder 07:50 AM 09-20-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I always wake.
Sleeping or not. Ever.
I just read the 2013 thread Wow. I was not around much that year and missed it.

FTR, I would wake to change.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 08:21 AM 09-20-2017
I totally feel like I'm missing something here. I know I have limited experience under my belt so far... but... my dcks have almost always woken up once they pooped. I can only think of 1 time where I was aware that a dck had pooped and was still asleep (because it smelled awful). I can think of about 2-3 times where I opened a diaper after nap and found poop that I wasn't expecting. Unless I had been doing pretty active visual diaper checks (while they were asleep) for those couple times, there was no way for me to know.

I had one girl just under a year that woke herself 30 minutes into a nap with a poop... then took FOREVER to resettle (she was a screamer). Every nap, every day. It was exhausting. I slathered cream before nap and hoped she would sleep through it. Never happened.
Ariana 09:02 AM 09-20-2017
I do not wake, sometimes there is a rash, I apply butt cream and move on. Sometimes I will apply butt cream before nap just in case but I sometimes won't (if the kid has already pooped that morning). I only have two kids who get rashy when they poop. They are sensitive to something they are eating clearly. I am not sure what is wrong with my nose but I literally cannot smell poop anymore. I only know a child has pooped if another child tells me or I check randomly. Its ridiculous!!
daycarediva 09:06 AM 09-20-2017

I always wake.
Sleeping or not. Ever.
I checked the date!

Always wake em.
sharlan 02:49 PM 09-20-2017
The thought of sitting in poop grosses me out. I change as soon as I know.

Of course after reading this, both of my babies have pooped at naptime the past two days.

We eat lunch, clean up, fresh diapers and down for nap. Of course both babies have waited for a fresh diaper to poop in.
Crystal 05:26 PM 09-20-2017

I always wake.
Sleeping or not. Ever.
Yes, yes it was
sharlan 05:49 PM 09-20-2017
Long time, no see.
MyAngels 09:36 PM 09-20-2017

I always wake.
Sleeping or not. Ever.
I have a terrible memory for old threads and even I remember that one

I bring them out of the nap room and change them, then put them back to sleep. I wouldn't like to lay around with poo in my pants so I don't make my littles do it either
nannyde 02:21 AM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Yes, yes it was
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...818#post376818

Oh yes I remember it well. It was easy to find because (not to mention any names) SOMEONE I KNOW gave me an infraction for it and it still is in my member profile.

That "someone I know" and I spent some time on the phone that day and she thought it would be hysterical to give someone SHE knows an infraction. Someone we DIDN'T know gave us both an infraction over it so I got two and she got one.

The good news was I got the most excellent daycare family over that thread. I was interviewing a family and during the time in between my three interviews the mom stalked me on the net and came across the thread as it was happening. She told me she had interviewed a lot of daycares and this thread was the one that tipped the scales for their choice.

Sometimes good poop happens.
midaycare 05:20 AM 09-21-2017
I'll bite. Probably shouldn't after the above warnings

I try to. I don't have a nose for it. Poop, that is. I literally have to stick a butt in my nose to smell for poop. I have had several kids who sleep through bms.

I have one in a bm nap stage for the past 3 months. She's an excellent sleeper so I literally stick my nose to her behind in the pack n play a few times. But I'm not obsessive over it. If I miss it, I miss it.
daycarediva 05:33 AM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I'll bite. Probably shouldn't after the above warnings

I try to. I don't have a nose for it. Poop, that is. I literally have to stick a butt in my nose to smell for poop. I have had several kids who sleep through bms.

I have one in a bm nap stage for the past 3 months. She's an excellent sleeper so I literally stick my nose to her behind in the pack n play a few times. But I'm not obsessive over it. If I miss it, I miss it.

This is WAY different than noticing and saying "eh, it will mess up nap time." 😉
midaycare 05:48 AM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
This is WAY different than noticing and saying "eh, it will mess up nap time." 😉
So I don't get an infraction? How does one even get an infraction on here?
Rockgirl 06:18 AM 09-21-2017
I was wondering the same!

I remember that thread from before, but went back and reread the whole thing, purely for entertainment purposes.
nannyde 06:35 AM 09-21-2017
Ask Crystal
Ariana 07:20 AM 09-21-2017
I feel so judged
Crystal 05:36 PM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by nannyde:
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...818#post376818

Oh yes I remember it well. It was easy to find because (not to mention any names) SOMEONE I KNOW gave me an infraction for it and it still is in my member profile.

That "someone I know" and I spent some time on the phone that day and she thought it would be hysterical to give someone SHE knows an infraction. Someone we DIDN'T know gave us both an infraction over it so I got two and she got one.

The good news was I got the most excellent daycare family over that thread. I was interviewing a family and during the time in between my three interviews the mom stalked me on the net and came across the thread as it was happening. She told me she had interviewed a lot of daycares and this thread was the one that tipped the scales for their choice.

Sometimes good poop happens.
Good times
Blackcat31 06:10 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Ask Crystal
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Good times
Yeah.... things haven't been the same around here since a few "regulars" have moved on to bigger/better things!

Hope things are going well for you Crystal!
Unregistered 11:52 AM 09-22-2017
I have one that poops at naptime...every...single....day.
happymom 02:03 PM 09-22-2017
Thanks for sharing the thread =)

I am finding it quite amusing
Crystal 04:41 PM 09-22-2017
Yeah.... things haven't been the same around here since a few "regulars" have moved on to bigger/better things!

Hope things are going well for you Crystal!
Thank you! Things are fabulous! Hope all is well for you and yours
Tags:poops - during nap, poopy diaper
Reply Up